Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to UAE semi-permanently - advice needed please

Moving to UAE semi-permanently - advice needed please

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:16 am
Just Joined

sisisi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UAE semi-permanently - advice needed please

I'm moving to the UAE for work in August.

I intend to stay there for 3/4 years and won't be returning in the interim.

I don't own property in the UK and will obviously be giving up my rented accommodation.

Therefore I won't actually have a permanent UK address.

Can anyone advise me on the things I need to take into account please?
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Moving to UAE semi-permanently - advice needed please

A place to live.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping contact addresses for any banks, financial companies, and pension funds you have accounts with.

Keeping up your NI contributions on a voluntary basis, or at least working out the pros and cons and making a informed decision to contribute or not.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:11 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Open a private UK pension, online SIPP or similar before you leave the UK. That way you can pay in £2,880 that tax year and for the following 5 years and automatically receive £720 free each year from HMRC. We all like free money

Watch your tax residency status, you'll be provisionally liable for full UK tax and NI on your worldwide earnings until 6th April 2018 at the very earliest (But subject to conditions your non-residency status is backdated to the day after you left the UK, so no UK tax liability).
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:41 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hello sisisi,

As per Pulaski's post, here is the link for voluntary NI contributions which you may find of use:

Voluntary NI contributions | The Pensions Advisory Service
Old Jun 10th 2016, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Remember that your UK license will no longer be valid once you have your UAE one; and you should use your UAE one to hire a car when you return to the UK.

Once you move back to the UK you will be able to apply for a UK license again.