Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to uae (abu dhabi)

Moving to uae (abu dhabi)

Old May 17th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to uae (abu dhabi)

Perhaps I did exaggerate a bit.

1985 is a little extreme. A more apt comparison would be a sleepy provincial city of 1995.

Originally Posted by al dente
Rubbish, as one of the few posters who lived here in 1984 I can state that it was indeed rather different.

I love how DXBites can only find the provincial bits of AD.
I have been the length and breadth of Abu Dhabi, from the Corniche and Khalidiya to Reem Island to the stadium area to Raha Beach and the other offshore islands and the mangroves and Yas, from the fancy malls and hotels to whatever passes for local ones, and every place confirms one thing: Abu Dhabi is a quiet town. Nothing wrong with that, it's what some people like and prefer, but it's indisputably a quiet city when compared to Dubai. It's smaller. The range of restaurants is far smaller, the range of shops is more limited (though I don't care about that) and it lacks that distinctive urban energy that Dubai has. Having talked to scores of people who've lived in both AD and Dubai the consensus is also Abu Dhabi is quiet. The singles say, 'it's ok but it's not Dubai'. The families say, 'it's a nice place to raise a family although Dubai seems to have more things for families to do'.

There are some things I do like about Abu Dhabi. It's much greener than Dubai, even if that's due to massive watering schemes and is hardly sustainable. If you make a solid group of friends AD can still be a good experience. But I easily see why many people prefer to commute.
Old May 17th 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Not really the case anymore, when you compare like for like.

Dubai is now more expensive for prime property. Reem Island and Raha beach are cheaper than their counterparts in Dubai.

I can find a basic 1-bedroom apartment near the corniche for under 70K, which admittedly won't be in the best of buildings, but it's doable. Can't touch any one-bedroom anywhere along Sheikh Zayed Road from the Marina to Bur Dubai for under 70K in Dubai.

I won't comment on villas as I don't know that market.

Originally Posted by busybee2
hmmmm dxb is still less expensive than auh... and its not going to get any better as there is a shortage of units coming online.... some areas were mentioned just recently that they have declined in rental amounts... there is nowhere in auh because now there is no rent cap unlike rera in dxb which controls it to a certain degree.... auh is expensive being the capital and dont think its going change.... some areas will be affected by the expo2020.
Old May 17th 2015, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Perhaps I did exaggerate a bit.

1985 is a little extreme. A more apt comparison would be a sleepy provincial city of 1995.

I have been the length and breadth of Abu Dhabi, from the Corniche and Khalidiya to Reem Island to the stadium area to Raha Beach and the other offshore islands and the mangroves and Yas, from the fancy malls and hotels to whatever passes for local ones, and every place confirms one thing: Abu Dhabi is a quiet town. Nothing wrong with that, it's what some people like and prefer, but it's indisputably a quiet city when compared to Dubai. It's smaller. The range of restaurants is far smaller, the range of shops is more limited (though I don't care about that) and it lacks that distinctive urban energy that Dubai has. Having talked to scores of people who've lived in both AD and Dubai the consensus is also Abu Dhabi is quiet. The singles say, 'it's ok but it's not Dubai'. The families say, 'it's a nice place to raise a family although Dubai seems to have more things for families to do'.

There are some things I do like about Abu Dhabi. It's much greener than Dubai, even if that's due to massive watering schemes and is hardly sustainable. If you make a solid group of friends AD can still be a good experience. But I easily see why many people prefer to commute.
even 10 years ago its very very very different! there were no malls as such as the first one opened in 99!
Old May 18th 2015, 4:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

even 10 years ago its very very very different! there were no malls as such as the first one opened in 99!
10 years ago it was 2005....
Old May 18th 2015, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
10 years ago it was 2005....
yeh i know that doh!!!! what i was pointing out was that the first "mall" being marina mall was built in 99..... so even then it was changing... so to say that nothing has changed come 2005 how can that be!!!
Old May 18th 2015, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

yeh i know that doh!!!! what i was pointing out was that the first "mall" being marina mall was built in 99..... so even then it was changing... so to say that nothing has changed come 2005 how can that be!!!
What about the moratorium on building imposed between 1999 and 2001?
Old May 18th 2015, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Millhouse
What about the moratorium on building imposed between 1999 and 2001?
what.... they built both marina mall and abu dhabi mall that opened in 99 i believe... and there were still other stuff being built.... maybe you are talking about dxb?
Old May 19th 2015, 6:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm just winding you up.

Malls in AD are alright actually, what's Yas Mall like?
Old May 19th 2015, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Yas Mall is pretty good. I concede that we said "This feels like Dubai". They have introduced some new shops to the scene and the restaurants are ok in it too. Being connected to Ferrari world means that one day, I might even get on a ride.

The 2030 plan of moving everything out towards KCA seems to be happening. There are now restaurants and bars that people have recommended that i haven't been to yet. Unheard of 3 years ago.
Old May 19th 2015, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Yas Mall is pretty good. I concede that we said "This feels like Dubai". They have introduced some new shops to the scene and the restaurants are ok in it too. Being connected to Ferrari world means that one day, I might even get on a ride.

The 2030 plan of moving everything out towards KCA seems to be happening. There are now restaurants and bars that people have recommended that i haven't been to yet. Unheard of 3 years ago.
I've got a pal that way, somewhere round KCA....it's alright actually. Seems busier now than just a couple of years ago when he moved up.

Might take the mrs shopping somewhere different
Old May 19th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

what.... they built both marina mall and abu dhabi mall that opened in 99 i believe... and there were still other stuff being built.... maybe you are talking about dxb?

If it opened in 99, then it was clearly started before the moratorium...
Old May 19th 2015, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Yas is all right. Weird layout.

A mistake, IMO. The focus should be redeveloping the Corniche area into a proper downtown with lots of new cafes and shops and streetlife. Such an area would give AD an advantage over Dubai's lack of centre and sprawl and help it develop a personality that doesn't involve howling dogs and tumbleweeds. By repeating what Dubai did with New Dubai you're only encouraging an increasing split between off-island/Reem and the Corniche area, with the latter slowly but steadily turning unfashionable and shabby despite the prime location.

Look at Doha. Many older blocks particularly around Souq Waqif are being demolished and replaced with new ones, and when it's all said and done Doha could actually have a decently walkable and proper urban downtown environment.