Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sharjah from NZ - tell it like it is!!!

Moving to Sharjah from NZ - tell it like it is!!!

Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Deborah Nolan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sharjah from NZ - tell it like it is!!!

Hey there,
I am moving to Sharjah from little ol' New Zealand. I hear its very quiet compare to Dubai?
What about the newly built apartments the school sez its built? I'm sure its all for real but apartments in a compound..........close to school.........hm.....
Come on people...tell me like it is....
kiwigirl:
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sharjah from NZ - tell it like it is!!!

Originally Posted by Deborah Nolan
Hey there,
I am moving to Sharjah from little ol' New Zealand. I hear its very quiet compare to Dubai?
What about the newly built apartments the school sez its built? I'm sure its all for real but apartments in a compound..........close to school.........hm.....
kiwigirl:
You'll be better off living near your place of work...The commute is really too much...The time you save will go towards your R&R...
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deborah Nolan
Hey there,
kiwigirl:
don't get confused with compound living in Saudi, it isn't like that here. Sharjah aint a bad place to live. I take it Mr Nolan is going to be based there?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Lived in Sharjah for three months before moving to Mirdif area of Dubai, as you probably know its dry, no booze in any of the hotels, although the Rugby club is wet, I always went to Ajman for a beer, 20 dhrs taxi ride, I work in Sharjah and living in Mirdif is not a problem for travel as I am going the opposite ways to the nightmare of traffic trying to head out Sharjah to Dubai in the morning and back again at night.

Roads are always busy, rent is a lot less than Dubai, you can walk for miles round the creek, some nice park and a few beaches, so all in all can be a quiet life living there.

B.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Moving to Sharjah from NZ - tell it like it is!!!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
don't get confused with compound living in Saudi, it isn't like that here. Sharjah aint a bad place to live. I take it Mr Nolan is going to be based there?

Not for about 6 months!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: Moving to Sharjah from NZ - tell it like it is!!!

Originally Posted by Bodach
Hi,

Lived in Sharjah for three months before moving to Mirdif area of Dubai, as you probably know its dry, no booze in any of the hotels, although the Rugby club is wet, I always went to Ajman for a beer, 20 dhrs taxi ride, I work in Sharjah and living in Mirdif is not a problem for travel as I am going the opposite ways to the nightmare of traffic trying to head out Sharjah to Dubai in the morning and back again at night.

Roads are always busy, rent is a lot less than Dubai, you can walk for miles round the creek, some nice park and a few beaches, so all in all can be a quiet life living there.

B.

heya,
Tell me about the "nightmare of traffic....as I live in Auckland, New Zealand and the traffic here is.....well.....heavy at times. Peak hour traffic...you can be stuck there for at least hour and a half. On a good day it takes me about half an hour to get to work and an hour to get home. Choose the wrong time and its anywhere up to 2 hours.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Sharjah from NZ - tell it like it is!!!

Originally Posted by Confucius
You'll be better off living near your place of work...The commute is really too much...The time you save will go towards your R&R...

Cheers ...since Sharjah is a dry emirate...where does a nice person like me go for a drink!!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

You will have the same difficulties with traffic in Sharjah as you have in NZ, the worst is people who commute to Dubai on a daily basis, easily an hour each way, sometimes a lot more for a distance of 12kl. I have tried to get a taxi from Sharjah to Dubai on Thursday night for a nite out on the town, taxi's will refuse to take you as the traffic can be so bad, however, Ajman is not far away the Kepimski Hotel is very nice check out its web site. The Rugby club is the only option for a watering hole in Sharjah, all expats and about 1200 dirhams to join per annum.

Hope this helps you, its not that bad if you have a villa, apartments can be noisy with kids and rubbish chutes!

Cheers

B
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Sharjah and I have a couple of bottles of wine unopened!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

safety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud ofsafety has much to be proud of

ok, Sharjah's got the sceneary on the lake side, lower rent (talking about Dirhams 80-90K p.a. for a 2 BR appartment in a nice building on the lake side), traffic is horrible, it is 15KM to dubai, takes 10 minitues on a nice friday morning, but takes at lease 1.5 hours in a nice monday morning no compound life in sharjah, biggest compound in sharjah or Ajman would be 4-6 villas, the only relation between them is the outlook, & the location! schools are good, you would have several international schools, 2 australian schools, the Australian International, & Victoria Australian (new09.2007), you would have some areas in sharjah where you feel like in Karatci, & other places feels like ......well, Sharjah it is a unique mix of culture......however DRY. yea, & as long as you dont seem drunk, no body will stop your car, i have my booze at home, sometimes i go home drunk, been living here for 3 years & nobody has done anything!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Deborah,

My husband and I have been living in Al Ain for 4 weeks. We come from Christchurch originally but have lived in Wellington for the past years but my husgand has commuted to,Auckland 5 days a week for the past 2 NS 1/2 years. We drove to Sharjah at the weekend just to get some practise at driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Sharhaj was beautful much more alive and vibrant than Al Ain. My husbnd commented that the traffic was about the same as Auckland.

Good Luck
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:33 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

What day did you go?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

We went on Saturday. Got lost coming back and ended up at the Jumerah end of Dubai. All fun and games!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:40 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right was going to say if it was Friday not a true indication of the traffic!!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:51 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Oh right was going to say if it was Friday not a true indication of the traffic!!!
Saturday will also still be less busy than normal weekdays...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.