Reload this Page >

Moving to Sharjah - information please. :D

Moving to Sharjah - information please. :D

Old May 15th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

mikeleavingoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sharjah - information please. :D

Hi all

For months I have been reading various posts on this forum and I have found it very helpful and interesting. I thought it would be a smart move to post some details about my upcoming move to Sharjah.

I am 24, male from Australia and have recently graduated as a teacher. A friend of mine begun teaching in Sharjah through an agency & I managed to obtain an offer of employment directly through the school.

Basically, I am interested in the cost of living in Sharjah. I have heard it is a fair bit less than Dubai. The school will provide accomodation in a furnished single bedroom apartment.

Could anyone tell me the approximate rental figure per week of the accomodation they are providing? It is a single BR apartment - most likely in a newly erected complex. That would be very helpful.

I am looking forward to living a comfortable life as I have in Australia. The salary is approximately 10-11k AED per month depending on exchange rates varying from Aus dollar to AED.

Is it cheaper to buy groceries and cook food yourself? Or do people usually eat out? I think i'd like a mixture of the two. Can anyone provide examples costs eg groceries / internet / gym memberships ?? Thanks

The money I will be paid isn't "great" as I have NO teaching experience however, taking into account the unit is paid for, the tax free salary net p/month figures I'd receive would equate to approx 25% more than i'd receive on a package in Aus paying my own rent.
On the flip side I am quite happy to have a promising position and the opportunity to develop my career at a good private school.

I'm not going to ask questions about travelling from Sharjah to Dubai / and other topics that have been answered previously.

Although I have one question. I play poker online and make money doing so. In UAE it is illegal to gamble. In UAE it is illegal to drink. People drink in their own homes. Am I able to gamble online in my own home? Obviously this isn't a huge factor, but I love the game & i have found it hard to get info. I am aware that internet is monitored for content. But anyone who is a poker player / has some actual experience / understanding in this area in UAE - I'd love to hear from you.

I thank you all for taking time to read this, and in advance for responses. Will be good to chat with some of you and maybe catch up..

cheers,
Michael
Old May 15th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sharjah - information please. :D

In UAE it is illegal to gamble. In UAE it is illegal to drink. People drink in their own homes. Am I able to gamble online in my own home? Obviously this isn't a huge factor, but I love the game & i have found it hard to get info. I am aware that internet is monitored for content. But anyone who is a poker player / has some actual experience / understanding in this area in UAE - I'd love to hear from you.
i know a good bookie who operates from a 'club' in dubai...It does go on..but dont get caught, they are MEGA strict in Sharjah...

Drinking is not illegal in UAE, only in Sharjah,,,

the internet site will be blocked but there is ways around this with VPN's...
Old May 15th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to Sharjah - information please. :D

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention it was only ONLINE POKER, i have no edge in anything else.

I guess I will just respect the law and go without until I am back home on holidays

Thanks for your reply.
Old May 17th 2008, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to Sharjah - information please. :D

Originally Posted by mikeleavingoz

Basically, I am interested in the cost of living in Sharjah. I have heard it is a fair bit less than Dubai. The school will provide accomodation in a furnished single bedroom apartment.

Could anyone tell me the approximate rental figure per week of the accomodation they are providing? It is a single BR apartment - most likely in a newly erected complex. That would be very helpful.

I am looking forward to living a comfortable life as I have in Australia. The salary is approximately 10-11k AED per month depending on exchange rates varying from Aus dollar to AED.

Is it cheaper to buy groceries and cook food yourself? Or do people usually eat out? I think i'd like a mixture of the two. Can anyone provide examples costs eg groceries / internet / gym memberships ?? Thanks

The money I will be paid isn't "great" as I have NO teaching experience however, taking into account the unit is paid for, the tax free salary net p/month figures I'd receive would equate to approx 25% more than i'd receive on a package in Aus paying my own rent.
On the flip side I am quite happy to have a promising position and the opportunity to develop my career at a good private school.

I thank you all for taking time to read this, and in advance for responses. Will be good to chat with some of you and maybe catch up..

cheers,
Michael
***BUMP**** Still looking for answers and info tho the above, so if regulars with the knowledge can help me out, many thanks.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeleavingoz
***BUMP**** Still looking for answers and info tho the above, so if regulars with the knowledge can help me out, many thanks.

VESS ? if your getting an apartment thrown in you should be fine, no need to know how much it costs as long as you aren't paying for it.
Old May 17th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

bedarwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Blue Cat says - the apartment is the biggest cost - the rest will vary according to your lifestyle of course. Buying groceries also varies quite a lot depending on where you buy them - you can buy cheap, you can buy expensive!

Eating out - you will probably end up going to Dubai to eat out more than in Sharjah and you can find any food and any price range.

Gym membership - you may get some kind of deal through the school.

One thing - don't expect too much your teaching job - it will be career development for you as this is your first job, but the chances are that you won't find it as sophisticated as you may anticipate. You will enjoy the work and the life I'm sure and the kids will be great, just keep your expectations realistic!

B
Old May 18th 2008, 8:03 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Aww bless M

You're moving from Aus to Sharjah and we're moving from Sharjah to Australia lol

Unlikely to be VES with the stated salary BlueCat

Inet - we pay Dhs249 per month for active user speed usage - broadband, there are various packages - check out

http://www.etisalat.co.ae/index.jsp?...003c05000a____

gym? some apartments blocks have gym/pool included, if not maybe joining the Coral Beach Hotel or the Wanderers Club on a membership

http://www.coral-international.com/B...ort/index.aspx

http://www.sharjahwanderers.com/site/aboutus.htm is down at the mo, but maybe back up in a couple of days

as for alcohol, i'll pm you if you don't mind tomorrow

as for external food, it depends what you're into - KFC/MacDonalds/Hardees/Burger King meals are about Dhs20-Dhs25, quizno/subways meals about dhs25-Dhs30 and then there's restaurant meals with varying prices

Last edited by sinderelle; May 18th 2008 at 8:06 pm.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bedarwen
Like Blue Cat says - the apartment is the biggest cost - the rest will vary according to your lifestyle of course. Buying groceries also varies quite a lot depending on where you buy them - you can buy cheap, you can buy expensive!

Eating out - you will probably end up going to Dubai to eat out more than in Sharjah and you can find any food and any price range.

Gym membership - you may get some kind of deal through the school.

One thing - don't expect too much your teaching job - it will be career development for you as this is your first job, but the chances are that you won't find it as sophisticated as you may anticipate. You will enjoy the work and the life I'm sure and the kids will be great, just keep your expectations realistic!

B

Thanks this is a good point... Cheers
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
VESS ? if your getting an apartment thrown in you should be fine, no need to know how much it costs as long as you aren't paying for it.
No I applied directly through the school. Employed by the school - no agency.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sinderelle
Aww bless M

You're moving from Aus to Sharjah and we're moving from Sharjah to Australia lol

Unlikely to be VES with the stated salary BlueCat

Inet - we pay Dhs249 per month for active user speed usage - broadband, there are various packages - check out

http://www.etisalat.co.ae/index.jsp?...003c05000a____

gym? some apartments blocks have gym/pool included, if not maybe joining the Coral Beach Hotel or the Wanderers Club on a membership

http://www.coral-international.com/B...ort/index.aspx

http://www.sharjahwanderers.com/site/aboutus.htm is down at the mo, but maybe back up in a couple of days

as for alcohol, i'll pm you if you don't mind tomorrow

as for external food, it depends what you're into - KFC/MacDonalds/Hardees/Burger King meals are about Dhs20-Dhs25, quizno/subways meals about dhs25-Dhs30 and then there's restaurant meals with varying prices

Oh really! That's great. Will be a big relief with much cooler weather over here when you arrive

Thank you for the information, I will look into those links when i get home. Yes please PM me, cheers!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

tojj is an unknown quantity at this point