British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Sharjah (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-sharjah-482587/)

TomInKent Sep 21st 2007 6:28 am

Moving to Sharjah

Hi All,
My wife and I are likely moving to Sharjah later this year. We could use some suggestions on housing and transportation. I see many apartments and villas for rent. What are the best areas? Are the posted prices negotiable?
Is Western Satellite TV available?

Do most expats purchase an automobile? New or used? Are prices negotiable?

Where do you shop? Western food products available?

Do you go to Dubai for entertainment?

All responses greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
TomInKent

Fairydust Sep 21st 2007 6:31 am

Re: Moving to Sharjah

Originally Posted by TomInKent (Post 5336884)
Hi All,
My wife and I are likely moving to Sharjah later this year. We could use some suggestions on housing and transportation. I see many apartments and villas for rent. What are the best areas? Are the posted prices negotiable?
Is Western Satellite TV available?

Do most expats purchase an automobile? New or used? Are prices negotiable?

Where do you shop? Western food products available?

Do you go to Dubai for entertainment?

All responses greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
TomInKent

I think there is only JVR who lives in Shj on here and he doesn't post at the weekend so you may have to wait till sunday for an answer on this one.

Why Shj????

TomInKent Sep 21st 2007 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 5336890)
I think there is only JVR who lives in Shj on here and he doesn't post at the weekend so you may have to wait till sunday for an answer on this one.

Why Shj????

Reply to "Why Shj?" - I will be working in Shj - not Dubai. Comment or suggestion?

beebee Sep 21st 2007 8:45 am

Originally Posted by TomInKent (Post 5337057)
Reply to "Why Shj?" - I will be working in Shj - not Dubai. Comment or suggestion?

Sharjah accommodation is much cheaper than Dubai, but if you like bars etc you won't find these there.. also you have to be careful what you wear, especially ladies.

Cham128 Sep 21st 2007 10:15 am

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5337121)
Sharjah accommodation is much cheaper than Dubai, but if you like bars etc you won't find these there.. also you have to be careful what you wear, especially ladies.

I was talking to JVR about sharjah the other day... he mentioned the social scene was a little quite when compared with dubai, but he's definately the best person to ask about it

Inselaffen Sep 21st 2007 11:11 am

From what I hear a western expat might feel a little out of place in Sharjah.

You will definitely have to travel to Dubai for entertainment.

As for your question about western TV there are a couple of competing providors out here. Unfortunately some of the better channels are split between the 2. I guess most British expats go for Showtime for the English foootball and rugby. It has a few movie channels but I have not been impressed by the choice of films so far. Apart from that it has a mixture of (mainly) american and English up to date series.

If you chose to live in Dubai the traffic shouldnt be a problem as it will be in the opposite direction to the jams, but your rent would be twice as expensive.

MataHari Sep 21st 2007 1:23 pm

It's all very personal...I have friends that live in Sharjah, and they would never consider moving to Dubai, and others that did and have just moved over here...
I would suggest you go and live in an area with a lot of expats, my friends lived in a non-expat area, and were 'forced' out of their villa...neighbours complained about them having alcohol (which was more of an assumption, cause the villa is independent, walled and not overlooked by any neighbours) and then the council cut their electricity and told them to leave within 10 days...they managed to stretch it, did some talking left right and centre, but in the end gave in to the pressure of hostility...
Now this is a very negative story, I realise that, but it does show that the atmosphere in Sharjah is a bit different than in Dubai.
As for clothing, you don't see that many women on the streets in Sharjah, so that in itself is a reason to dress more conservatively.
There are plenty of supermarkets where you can get most things, well known brands etc.But no porc. You can get porc in Spinneys in Mirdif, which would be nearest to Sharjah I think.
Sharjah is a dry state, so no alcohol anywhere, also not in the restaurants in the hotels. You can get it in Ajman, which is only a short drive, and of course in Dubai.
And yes, you need a car...public transport is next to none...there are taxi's but to get a taxi to go to Dubai can be a big problem. Sharjah taxis don't like to go to Dubai. My personal experience is that the taxidrivers are really really bad drivers by the way, much worse than in Dubai.
Lots of 2nd hand cars available because of the comings and goings of people...so shouldn't be a problem.
There is more of an ME feel in Sharjah, more culture....in that sense I like going to Sharjah when we have visitors over.

right....longest post I ever did....normally I only do flirty one liners...

Inselaffen Sep 21st 2007 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5337973)
It's all very personal...I have friends that live in Sharjah, and they would never consider moving to Dubai, and others that did and have just moved over here...
I would suggest you go and live in an area with a lot of expats, my friends lived in a non-expat area, and were 'forced' out of their villa...neighbours complained about them having alcohol (which was more of an assumption, cause the villa is independent, walled and not overlooked by any neighbours) and then the council cut their electricity and told them to leave within 10 days...they managed to stretch it, did some talking left right and centre, but in the end gave in to the pressure of hostility...
Now this is a very negative story, I realise that, but it does show that the atmosphere in Sharjah is a bit different than in Dubai.
As for clothing, you don't see that many women on the streets in Sharjah, so that in itself is a reason to dress more conservatively.
There are plenty of supermarkets where you can get most things, well known brands etc.But no porc. You can get porc in Spinneys in Mirdif, which would be nearest to Sharjah I think.
Sharjah is a dry state, so no alcohol anywhere, also not in the restaurants in the hotels. You can get it in Ajman, which is only a short drive, and of course in Dubai.
And yes, you need a car...public transport is next to none...there are taxi's but to get a taxi to go to Dubai can be a big problem. Sharjah taxis don't like to go to Dubai. My personal experience is that the taxidrivers are really really bad drivers by the way, much worse than in Dubai.
Lots of 2nd hand cars available because of the comings and goings of people...so shouldn't be a problem.
There is more of an ME feel in Sharjah, more culture....in that sense I like going to Sharjah when we have visitors over.

Isnt that with the sole excetion of the Sharjah Wanderers Sports Club. I thought alcohol was available there?

MataHari Sep 21st 2007 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5337994)
Isnt that with the sole excetion of the Sharjah Wanderers Sports Club. I thought alcohol was available there?

honey...I don't do sports so I have no idea...

Dago Sep 21st 2007 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5337994)

It used to be long time ago but not now I think. It was always a stuffy place in my unvaluable opinion.

Getting a taxi back to Sharjah is not easy either. I found that going to one of the big hotels and taking an hotel limo was best - same price and less / no chance of being stopped by Mr Plod who is sometimes interested in your breath!

Stay on the corniche MM is right you can get squeezed. Also check the route to and from work at the peak times. The trafic flow from Ajman crosses the normal commuter traffic in Sharjah and makes it bloody awful to drive around at peak hours. It may be better to stay in DXB.

MataHari Sep 21st 2007 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dago (Post 5338084)
It used to be long time ago but not now I think. It was always a stuffy place in my unvaluable opinion.

Getting a taxi back to Sharjah is not easy either. I found that going to one of the big hotels and taking an hotel limo was best - same price and less / no chance of being stopped by Mr Plod who is sometimes interested in your breath!

Stay on the corniche MM is right you can get squeezed. Also check the route to and from work at the peak times. The trafic flow from Ajman crosses the normal commuter traffic in Sharjah and makes it bloody awful to drive around at peak hours. It may be better to stay in DXB.

MM?....

shakh your bootie Sep 21st 2007 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5337973)

Nice post. Now, what are you wearing today?

Inselaffen Sep 21st 2007 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5338142)

I do believe she is wearing Shahk Repellant :p

MataHari Sep 21st 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5338142)

I am wearing a dress...red and off-white dots, dark blue trimming...V-neck, buttons all the way down...tight upperbody, flared skirt...

shakh your bootie Sep 21st 2007 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5338233)
I am wearing a dress...red and off-white dots, dark blue trimming...V-neck, buttons all the way down...tight upperbody, flared skirt...

If it wasn't Ramadan, that would be a fine outfit for a Mambo...