Moving to Saudi

Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Tracey71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Saudi

Hi,

My husband is currently negotiating salary etc for a job in Riyadh. We have two young girls and would like some advice on a few things:

- how much should we insist on as an accommodation allowance (4 bed house needed). Should we include utility bills in this too?

- What is the cost of living compared to the UK?

- What are the best compounds (accommodation, security and amenities)?

- Where to find a good pre-school for a 3 year old?

- Is it easy to take a long weekend in some of the more liberal locations such as Dubai?

Any advice very much welcomed.

Tracey
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

msk2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Saudi

Hi Tracey,

some of the answers to your questions are as below:

Accomodation: I am sure you are going for the compound accomodation. If your husband is negotiating ask the employer to provide accomdation rather than taking housing allowance. The reason is that it is extremely difficult to get a place in any western compounds.The waiting list is never ending.

The good compounds would normally range from 100,000 Saudi riyals to 250,000 saudi riyals per annum.

I live in a compound called Seder village, its a western compound and very social. the rates are between 100,000 to 120,000 per annum for a 3 bedroom bungalow with a large garden.

The compound also has it own nursery so the problem of toddler education is also solved. There is a direct compound bus for the British school and a compound bus for the ladies shopping.

Cost of Living:
Grocery about 4000-5000 Saudi Riyals
Telephone and Satellite TV costs: around 600 riyals a month
Miscelleneous costs: around 1500-2000 Riyals a month

Weekend trips:
As long as you have multiple exit rentry visa on your passport it is very easy to travel over the weekend to Dubai or Bahrain. There are a lot of budget airlines.

Good compounds list in the order of price:
Arizona compound (Golf course inside the compound)- very expensive
Hamra compound (British school inside the compound) - Expensive
Eid villas compound ( very good facilities like Bowling alley, a large wave pool) - Moderately Expensive
Kingdom compound
Seder Village- good value for money
Ranco Village-Good price

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Sid

Originally Posted by Tracey71
Hi,

My husband is currently negotiating salary etc for a job in Riyadh. We have two young girls and would like some advice on a few things:

- how much should we insist on as an accommodation allowance (4 bed house needed). Should we include utility bills in this too?

- What is the cost of living compared to the UK?

- What are the best compounds (accommodation, security and amenities)?

- Where to find a good pre-school for a 3 year old?

- Is it easy to take a long weekend in some of the more liberal locations such as Dubai?

Any advice very much welcomed.

Tracey
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:37 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Saudi

Hi Tracey and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

I see that you are off to a good start with replies and information. I can't help with the Middle East bit but contact me if you need help around the site.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Sid,

Many thanks for the help.

Tracey

Originally Posted by msk2009
Hi Tracey,

some of the answers to your questions are as below:

Accomodation: I am sure you are going for the compound accomodation. If your husband is negotiating ask the employer to provide accomdation rather than taking housing allowance. The reason is that it is extremely difficult to get a place in any western compounds.The waiting list is never ending.

The good compounds would normally range from 100,000 Saudi riyals to 250,000 saudi riyals per annum.

I live in a compound called Seder village, its a western compound and very social. the rates are between 100,000 to 120,000 per annum for a 3 bedroom bungalow with a large garden.

The compound also has it own nursery so the problem of toddler education is also solved. There is a direct compound bus for the British school and a compound bus for the ladies shopping.

Cost of Living:
Grocery about 4000-5000 Saudi Riyals
Telephone and Satellite TV costs: around 600 riyals a month
Miscelleneous costs: around 1500-2000 Riyals a month

Weekend trips:
As long as you have multiple exit rentry visa on your passport it is very easy to travel over the weekend to Dubai or Bahrain. There are a lot of budget airlines.

Good compounds list in the order of price:
Arizona compound (Golf course inside the compound)- very expensive
Hamra compound (British school inside the compound) - Expensive
Eid villas compound ( very good facilities like Bowling alley, a large wave pool) - Moderately Expensive
Kingdom compound
Seder Village- good value for money
Ranco Village-Good price

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Sid
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Sid,

Many thanks for the help.

Tracey
Another query that I forgot to add was travel to and from work. Should my husband be prepared to drive or is there usually some form of collection service that companies offer? Which is the most secure? I would imagine taxi drivers aren't in the habit of using multiple routes to avoind pattern setting.

Thanks.

Tracey
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine taxi drivers aren't in the habit of using multiple routes to avoind pattern setting.
Have you been reading the thing from the US embassy website?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Hi Tracey and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

I see that you are off to a good start with replies and information. I can't help with the Middle East bit but contact me if you need help around the site.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Hey hey, I didn't get a bleedin welcome like this when I joined BE...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Hey hey, I didn't get a bleedin welcome like this when I joined BE...
Me either. I just got some abuse.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Me either. I just got some abuse.
Well I can understand that....
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Well I can understand that....
Quite. I have been likened to Cliff Richard in the past... not the boyish good looks but a face that you want to slap.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Quite. I have been likened to Cliff Richard in the past... not the boyish good looks but a face that you want to slap.
well I could understand that too... you really need to get this slapping thing sorted out doll
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:01 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Another query that I forgot to add was travel to and from work. Should my husband be prepared to drive or is there usually some form of collection service that companies offer? Which is the most secure? I would imagine taxi drivers aren't in the habit of using multiple routes to avoind pattern setting.

Thanks.

Tracey
Yes he should be prepared to drive. Traffic is insane and you will experience things on the road and see accidents you did not think were even possible, but you do get used to it eventually.

And this stuff about using different routes to work every day and not frequenting the same places at the same time every day is just lunacy. I'm sure some people have to do this (ie are required by their employer to follow a security protocol), but most expats live a fairly normal life in Saudi (except for the limitations on what women can do and so on of course)....

Keep your head down, don't make a big deal of yourself and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by norsk
Yes he should be prepared to drive. Traffic is insane and you will experience things on the road and see accidents you did not think were even possible, but you do get used to it eventually.

And this stuff about using different routes to work every day and not frequenting the same places at the same time every day is just lunacy. I'm sure some people have to do this (ie are required by their employer to follow a security protocol), but most expats live a fairly normal life in Saudi (except for the limitations on what women can do and so on of course)....

Keep your head down, don't make a big deal of yourself and you'll be fine.
Thanks, I'll pass it on