British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   moving to riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-riyadh-848900/)

chelsea_fan Dec 15th 2014 12:08 pm

moving to riyadh

Hello everybody, I'm due to be moving too riyadh in February/March & I was wondering what "necessities" do I need to bring with me. I.e. do I pack my xbox or dvd etc. Any help would be great thanks

Sikander of Riyadh Dec 15th 2014 12:51 pm

Re: moving to riyadh

Avoid DVDs. This can prove problematic at the airport. Anything and everything that is legal in KSA is available in KSA so you will not be missing out. However, although Riyadh is known for being particularly hot, it can get extremely cold in the winter months (it can drop below freezing) so make sure you also pack some warm clothes. If you are male, then make sure you have done some shopping, or packed as many of your clothes as you can. There are limited options for menswear in Riyadh and it can be expensive.

Gobobo Dec 15th 2014 1:19 pm

I've only seen nutmeg and star anise in very expensive packaging in the select part of Danube.

Also I would prefer to buy any electronics back home. It might be bias on my part but I just prefer buying them from reputable shops.

nonthaburi Dec 16th 2014 5:27 am

patience

DubInRiyadh Dec 16th 2014 6:43 am

You will only know what you really miss when you have been here for a while.
You can watch every Premier match live with English commentary, download any movie, watch BBC Iplayer as the internet is really fast. The supermarkets are well stocked and decent restaurants everywhere. Petrol is thrupence a bucket and the pharmacy's dish out pills like Bill Cosby on a first date...

scot47 Dec 16th 2014 7:48 am

I used to miss draught Guinness and pork pies.

super_hans Dec 16th 2014 11:10 am

Set up a reliable VPN if you want Netflix, iPlayer, Skygo...etc, I did that before I left the UK. Personally, I wouldn't want to be without OSN. Pretty much everything else you can buy here....with the sorry exception of Guinness and Pork pies.
Only regular items I bring back from the UK are Marmite (available here, but expensive), decent tea bags and Heinz toast toppers.

chelsea_fan Dec 18th 2014 5:21 pm

Do they show all premier league footy matches out there?
Soo I think I'll just pack clothes really then.

Gobobo Dec 19th 2014 6:12 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11503839)
I used to miss draught Guinness and pork pies.

Hell, yeah. Plus steak and kidney pies, chicken pies, steak and kidney pudding, sausage rolls, Greg's cheese pasties.

I don't understand why you can't get steak or chicken pies (with good pastry), chicken/lamb/turkey sausage rolls, or corned beef here? Nowt haram about them, surely?

Desert Shaikh Dec 19th 2014 10:19 am

Originally Posted by chelsea_fan (Post 11502881)
Hello everybody, I'm due to be moving too riyadh in February/March & I was wondering what "necessities" do I need to bring with me. I.e. do I pack my xbox or dvd etc. Any help would be great thanks

Feb is still winter in Riyadh, so bring warm clothes as the winter here is harsh as due to the lack of humidity the cold is dry and penetrates your bones.

You should be fine with X box games which are on DVDs'. However I would not recommend to bring movies on DVDs'. Customs may decide to confiscate them if they deem it unsuitable for local rules on censorship.

Internet is here is cheap and superfast for downloading or watching or downloading movies.

Are you planning to stay in a compound or going to rent an apartment? Life inside the compound can be good and combats boredom which is a common thing in Riyadh, especially if you are alone.

Food wise unless you are a fan of Weetabix, in which case I would recommend you bring a few cartons with you. A pack of 24 can cost 25 Riyadh which is equivalent to £4.

I am a resident in Riyadh and if you need any help or guidance, please feel free to get in touch. I do help out newbie Brits in Riyadh in my free time in the weekends.

chelsea_fan Dec 19th 2014 10:45 am

I'll be staying in a compound & I will be alone, atm just sorting out all the forms and medical forms to send to the agency dealing with me. I'd never have thought it would be cold there.

Desert Shaikh Dec 19th 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by chelsea_fan (Post 11507741)
I'll be staying in a compound & I will be alone, atm just sorting out all the forms and medical forms to send to the agency dealing with me. I'd never have thought it would be cold there.

Riyadh sits on a plateau and about 700m above sea level so summers are scorching and dry and winters are cold and dry.

Wish you the best in getting things sorted, if you are on a good compound you can meet many people and you should be fine.

DubInRiyadh Dec 21st 2014 8:04 am

Its not British cold though...it was 21.5c yesterday...still t-shirt weather and a welcome relief from the furnace of summer. No humidity here so a lot more comfortable than Dubai in summer. The first time I arrived was March and I think it was around 30c here in Riyadh.