British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-riyadh-807616/)

Suza Aug 29th 2013 3:41 pm

Moving to Riyadh

I'm moving to Riyadh on Monday to work for a university there.

Just thought I'd pop up and say 'hello'.

I'll no doubt have a few Q's come next week.

hamad11 Aug 30th 2013 2:42 am

Re: Moving to Riyadh

welcome to Saudi Arabia ) if you have any question . i can help you ^_^

Chaues Sep 8th 2013 8:35 pm

I recently moved to Riyadh as well.

nonthaburi Sep 9th 2013 6:39 am

Enjoy your stay , Saudi is a surprisingly normal place once you get used to a few things . Ignore the haters and you'll probably be fine.

Suza Sep 10th 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks!

I've been here a week now. I am more surprised each day. Its not as bad as I imagined.
It's all about the networking in this place it seems. Need to try and meet as many people from as many different compounds to make it more enjoyable.

I'm living on a female only compound, which is not fun!!! It's like a hen house.

Hopefully my iqama will be sorted out before the October 10th holiday so I can travel outside the KSA.

Chaues Sep 10th 2013 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Suza (Post 10893974)
Thanks!

I've been here a week now. I am more surprised each day. Its not as bad as I imagined.
It's all about the networking in this place it seems. Need to try and meet as many people from as many different compounds to make it more enjoyable.

I'm living on a female only compound, which is not fun!!! It's like a hen house.

Hopefully my iqama will be sorted out before the October 10th holiday so I can travel outside the KSA.

Let me know what you find! :)

Suza Sep 10th 2013 2:36 pm

I'll PM you after I've been for a swim. Super humid today :(

Chaues Sep 10th 2013 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Suza (Post 10894130)
I'll PM you after I've been for a swim. Super humid today :(

Indeed! I was thinking about a swim myself.

nottmbantam Sep 11th 2013 6:39 am

Welcome to Riyadh. It can be the most boring place in the world. However, it then forces you to build and create your own social life. If you manage to do this, suddenly you can start to enjoy quite a pleasant lifestyle.

As there is little in terms of entertainment, you will have to find and create your own. There are quote a few blogs around which are good reading but also informative eg blue abaya. Start to make friends and get your self out and about - is about the crux of it. Good luck.

Kleinemaus Sep 24th 2013 5:42 pm

Suza

Apologies if I have the wrong person, but did you apply for your visa in Frankfurt on 12th Sept? We may have met briefly :-)

freewifiavailablehere Sep 24th 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Suza (Post 10876290)
I'm moving to Riyadh.

They tried to make me go to Riyadh, I said, "No, no, no"

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Suza Sep 24th 2013 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kleinemaus (Post 10916023)
Suza

Apologies if I have the wrong person, but did you apply for your visa in Frankfurt on 12th Sept? We may have met briefly :-)

No, I did mine in London.

freewifiavailablehere Sep 24th 2013 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10892123)
, Saudi is a surprisingly normal place.

OP take this with a bucket of salt. This is the chap that lived on Koh Phangan for 5 years when the full moon parties were still, kind off, ok. :lol::lol::lol:

Channel me muckers positive energy, by all means, but do realise he's quite likely baaaaaaah!

:thumbup:

Suza Sep 24th 2013 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere (Post 10916050)
OP take this with a bucket of salt. This is the chap that lived on Koh Phangan for 5 years when the full moon parties were still, kind off, ok. :lol::lol::lol:

Channel me muckers positive energy, by all means, but do realise he's quite likely baaaaaaah!

I did my time on Koh Phangan too. I frequented there from 1999-2001, and I'm handling Saudi just fine :)

OleJanx Sep 24th 2013 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere (Post 10916050)

Whereas you're sane and truthful.....