Moving to riyadh

Old May 8th 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to riyadh

Hi
I have accepted a new position in Riyadh and will be moving over in Augsut. Unfortunately I do not know much about the place.
I would love to hear from people who live there.
What is it like?
How much does it cost to live there if housing is paid for?
I have heard that there is a great expat population. Is there much to do?
I probably will have more questions as time goes on...
Looking forward to hearing from you
Regards
D
Old May 8th 2008, 12:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to riyadh

Originally Posted by di_hb
Hi
I have accepted a new position in Riyadh and will be moving over in Augsut. Unfortunately I do not know much about the place.
I would love to hear from people who live there.
What is it like?
How much does it cost to live there if housing is paid for?
I have heard that there is a great expat population. Is there much to do?
I probably will have more questions as time goes on...
Looking forward to hearing from you
Regards
D
it still amazes me that people can move to another country that they nothing about !!! Riyadh is a shit hole. We have some members who are out there so hopefully they will enlighten you about life in KSA.
Old May 8th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the response....obviously you havent had great experiences there.

I have heard reports to the contrary......was checking the view of others.
Old May 8th 2008, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Whenever I used to visit Riyadh, it was horrible. Have a look at the Kingdom movie (although much of it wasn't actually filmed there) and you will get an idea of what to expect. Fine if you are a muslim or homosexual...or Dean
Old May 8th 2008, 12:35 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi is a shithole.....PERIOD, FACT, ETC

There are people who dont mind it and can live there, but then again some people like being seen as infidels, living in compounds surrounded by armed guards, being unable to travel to certain areas, taking security precauctions every now and then when the locals are trying to kil you etc.

All in all its a lovely place really
Old May 8th 2008, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Saudi_City_Guide
Old May 8th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

hey guys
Thanks for the feedback....guess I will see what gives in August
By the way, I will between SA and Bahrain so life wont be that bad...eventually it will be all Bahrain.

Was hoping to hear some positive
Old May 8th 2008, 1:32 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Positive,
only positive thing is your exit stamp when you leave
Old May 8th 2008, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by di_hb
hey guys
Thanks for the feedback....guess I will see what gives in August
By the way, I will between SA and Bahrain so life wont be that bad...eventually it will be all Bahrain.

Was hoping to hear some positive

The Dean and Nottbantam might say something positive, they are both there.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:24 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to the question "is there much to do" is "no".

That said, I've heard the embassy and compound parties can be fantastic. I am back in Dubai every weekend so I've not had the honour of an invite.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here in Riyadh for just over a month, and I would say to you to make your own mind up. I don't think its a shit hole, nor do I think the country is like that either. I've found most of the Saudi's to be very very hospitable, warm and friendly people. The authorities are bureaucratic and a bit over zealous, but the warmth of the local people is fantastic.

But, I have never been to the other Gulf countries, so can't compare. I'm also a practising Muslim, so I don't drink, or feel I have the need to go get pissed every night or every other night, and paint the town red so I can have 'fun'.Maybe that skews my view of the city compared to the other responses? I can imagine that its not as 'glamourous' as other cities?

Its pretty much down to how one handles the situation. There are no cinema's - I've not come across many anyway! Obviously no bars, but plenty of restaurants,but the sexes are very much divided.

I live on an almost exclusive white compound - so the the social life here is great if you want it to be,you can hold of most things you want - there is way if there's a will!

Riyadh 's main past times centres around mooching around the shopping malls and if you're inclined, to take trips out into the desert. Life is very much centred around the family, religion and then work. In the UK, family is around 6th on the list, and religion probably not even in the top ten.

It depends on what floats your boat really.I enjoy spending time more so in Riyadh than I do in the compound, but that's just me. Most other people here hardly venture off the compound and this is their world. If you want to get out and about in the city, then you'll definitely need a car, the city is expanding at an alarming rate and is spreading further and further out.

There is plenty of material on the internet about Riyadh, so do some research and some reading. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I live on an almost exclusive white compound - so the the social life here is great if you want it to be
A strange observation as, from my recollection, most Riyadh Saudis are white (certainly the women) and don't coloured folk know how to enjoy themselves too? Maybe you meant to say that you live on a western compound
Old May 8th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
A strange observation as, from my recollection, most Riyadh Saudis are white (certainly the women) and don't coloured folk know how to enjoy themselves too? Maybe you meant to say that you live on a western compound
Perhaps you are more travelled and knowledgeable about the area than I , but the local saudi's I've come across so far are not white,and would not be described as such.I would still describe my compound as mainly white.

Not sure which colour you refer to?
Old May 8th 2008, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

thetan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm due to move Riyadh in June.

Having looked into it, I cant decide whether to be exicted or terrified!

Best Of Luck!

Thetan
Old May 8th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

Hi
Been here exactly 1 week and like Notmbantam, am a muslim too. It really is what you make of it-if you want to save and spend time with your family, then this would suit you. If you are looking at a more cosmo lifestyle with the western lifestyle, guess Dubai is your answer. The 1st week is tough-my family is still at home, and the city can be depressing esp if you don't speak Arabic. I am still looking for a compound (Notm pm me if you hear of anything available). Compound prices varies from 75SAR to 250SAR for a 3bed-depends on your budget. The bigger prob is getting space but there is (I came across 2 but no pets on these and I plan to bring mine).
On the compounds it's pretty much like a western village. The Saudis I have encountered at work are friendly and will really assist you-just keep an open mind and accept that the society structure is different.
Can't advise on food as I cant compare to UK and am only shopping for a bachelor right now.
Give it a chance-accept that it is a challenge and an adventure!
Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.