Reload this Page >

Moving to Qatar - UK Furniture Storage

Moving to Qatar - UK Furniture Storage

Old Sep 12th 2012, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Ukeuro75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apprehensive about moving to Qatar

So here's the deal.

I am currently living and working in the UK, working in the public sector.

In honesty, I dont have a bad job, the income isn't bad, though much of my salary goes towards paying off debts (expect to be debt free by November 2014). Work's alright, but as with all public sector workers, future's are uncertain.

I pay into a pension scheme, which i've been paying into for years.

For sure, by all accounts, my life is relatively secure.

Now, I've been offered a job in Qatar. I consider the salary and package to be very good.

The truth is, I am apprehensive about leaving my current secure lifestyle, and going to the unknown. But on the same note, I think of a Qatar as a wonderful opportunity, can pay off any debts quicker, and might never get the chance again. I am scared of having regrets either way.

Can anyone share any advice / words of wisdom please?? Would be much appreciated..... Thank you.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apprehensive about moving to Qatar

You'll regret it if you don't.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Default Moving to Qatar - UK Furniture Storage

Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for my visa to work in Qatar, and preparing to move there.

I was just wondering, if anybody who is currently living in Qatar / Middle East, would do anything differently in their planning, knowing what they know now, prior to moving out there - in the hope, that I can perhaps learn from others, and ensure I have thought of everything. Guess I am seeking some wisdom.

I guess particular things I am thinking about include:

- UK Home / Furniture (what to do.... with furniture.... sell or put it in storage?)
- Health Insurance Planning
- Savings
- What to take to Qatar
- Back up plans if things don't go to plan / go pear-shaped
- Keep UK bank account?
- Transferring money to the UK

I am sure there's loads and loads of other things as well, but I can't think of everything right now.

Many thanks

Will look forward to hearing from others....
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:05 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apprehensive about moving to Qatar

Originally Posted by Ukeuro75
So here's the deal.

I am currently living and working in the UK, working in the public sector.

In honesty, I dont have a bad job, the income isn't bad, though much of my salary goes towards paying off debts (expect to be debt free by November 2014). Work's alright, but as with all public sector workers, future's are uncertain.

I pay into a pension scheme, which i've been paying into for years.

For sure, by all accounts, my life is relatively secure.

Now, I've been offered a job in Qatar. I consider the salary and package to be very good.

The truth is, I am apprehensive about leaving my current secure lifestyle, and going to the unknown. But on the same note, I think of a Qatar as a wonderful opportunity, can pay off any debts quicker, and might never get the chance again. I am scared of having regrets either way.

Can anyone share any advice / words of wisdom please?? Would be much appreciated..... Thank you.
It seems you have made your mind up, are you looking for people to give you reasons to stay in UK?

The only thing it seems you will lose is a pension here. If Meow is reading I am sure she would be able to give advice on that.

The lifestyle is good here, though expensive. The weather is tolerable 4 months a year and pleasant for the remaining 8.

Welcome to BE
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Default Moving to Qatar - UK Furniture Storage

Hi!
I am in the process of moving to Qatar.
I was just wondering, what others would advise I did , or what they did themselves, with regard to their furniture in their UK Home? I have furnished accommodation provided in Qatar
Would people suggest I sell / get rid of my furniture or put it into storage into the UK, just in case things dont work out in Qatar?
I can't think what's best to do.
I feel very undecided about everything at the moment!! Think I am doing to much thinking! Haha
Thank you.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:12 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Qatar - UK Furniture Storage

All your questions are together now in 1 thread. It shall make it easier for people to quote and answer.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:13 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Some questions from me:

No. 1 - Can you get a Voluntary Severance/ Early Retirement deal due to a re-organisation, bullying claim, medical grounds etc.?

No.2 - Could your debt be due, at least in part, to extortionate taxation, insane commute costs, gouging fuel bills, pay freezes etc., making you live hand to mouth?

No. 3 - Are you pissed off with constant 'Continuous Improvement' or 'Efficiency' or 'More for Less' initiatives, trumped up by 'managers' who have an MBA, yet half your natural ability or experience, and whom you loathe and mistrust?

No.4 - Does your CV look crap, working in the Public Sector, and would some International, Private Sector experience liven it up a bit?

No.5 - Do you lead, or do you follow?

I asked myself those same questions, and decided to give up a secure PS job in the UK to move to Doha. Best move I ever made.

Do it.

[J]

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Sep 12th 2012 at 5:16 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Immad is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont mean to be rude but since you have decided to sign up to this forum, are you expecting someone to write " its the best decision you will ever make..." I dont think that will happen. It's personal daring do !

By reading other peoples experiences (and I mean read the whole lot of this and other forums) it will give a fairly decent/or not so, view of what to expect.

However in my case I just came up with "could I really hack living away from Blighty". I like where I live and I'm 5 mins from decent sandy beach and Michelin star restaurant and Sainsbury's. Have a wife to cuddle up to every night and enjoy taking kid to cricket matches on Sat afternoon (fall asleep every time !)

I still am looking forward to arriving in Doha in 2 weeks time !
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukeuro75
Hi!
I am in the process of moving to Qatar.
I was just wondering, what others would advise I did , or what they did themselves, with regard to their furniture in their UK Home? I have furnished accommodation provided in Qatar
Would people suggest I sell / get rid of my furniture or put it into storage into the UK, just in case things dont work out in Qatar?
I can't think what's best to do.
I feel very undecided about everything at the moment!! Think I am doing to much thinking! Haha
Thank you.
Well if you want to hedge your bets you could store it for a few months and then decide after that. Thats what I would do - then if you don't like it out here after a month its still there waiting for you.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated. I understand that only I can make a decision. I really do want to come but I just find the process and upheaval all so daunting and I am scared of making a mistake or having regrets. But I know I'll have regrets if I don't come too. I am currently in the process of gathering papers for my visa. At the moment it's all systems go. I am proceeding with offer. Once again , thanks.