Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Qatar - Some questions?

Moving to Qatar - Some questions?

Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:55 am
Just Joined

sakss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Qatar - Some questions?

HI Guys

I just signed a contract with a construction company through an agency as a 1 year contract in Qatar and then back to the UAE. I am based in the UAE at the moment.

I have a few questions if someone can help me out please

1: The employer requires me to have my degree attested. Where can I get that done from ? How long does it take and what are the costs involved? is there anyway of getting the visa done with attestation (is the degree necessary).

2: The client as per law wants me to get a police reference check from the UK. How do I get that done ?

3: What are the general cost of a 1 bed apartment (short term monthly payments)? Areas of recommendation?

4: How much does a rental car cost per month?

5: Is is easy to sponsor wife / family and how long does it take?

Looking forward to your help and replies. Thank you in advance
Old Feb 16th 2014, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

CanuckGrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Qatar - Some questions?

I'm very new to this site but have been doing some reading over the last couple weeks. There is a lot of great information in the posts here.

Most of your questions have been answered many times before. The "Is it worth it" thread stuck at the top of the forum will give you some great information regarding the costs associated with living in Qatar. Reading through other threads of those contemplating moving to Qatar would likely be helpful to you as well. It was very help for for me as I got answers to questions I had not yet thought of but would need to know.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 3:32 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sakss
HI Guys

I just signed a contract with a construction company through an agency as a 1 year contract in Qatar and then back to the UAE. I am based in the UAE at the moment.

I have a few questions if someone can help me out please

1: The employer requires me to have my degree attested. Where can I get that done from ? How long does it take and what are the costs involved? is there anyway of getting the visa done with attestation (is the degree necessary).

2: The client as per law wants me to get a police reference check from the UK. How do I get that done ?

3: What are the general cost of a 1 bed apartment (short term monthly payments)? Areas of recommendation?

4: How much does a rental car cost per month?

5: Is is easy to sponsor wife / family and how long does it take?

Looking forward to your help and replies. Thank you in advance
1. Check here for an easy route. You need signatures/ stamps from UK solicitor, UK FCO (Milton Keynes), Qatar Embassy (London), Qatar Ministry of Foreign Affairs (C-Ring Road near Gulf Signal).

2. You can use Disclosure Scotland online, even if you are not Scottish, but you need a UK address. Basic disclosure is fine. Also needs attested, as above.

3. QAR 6k/m and upwards for a furnished apartment, with utilities included. Expensive and poor quality. You'll likely have to commit to 6 months rent by post-dated cheque.

4. QAR 2.2k/m for a Nissan Sunny or QAR 4.5k/m for a 4x4 Prado.

5. Yes, under your sponsorship. They'll go the more or less the same process as you. Medical, CID check etc.

[J]
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your help. I have already given the certificate for attestation to the company you recommended. So Thanks for that..
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Is it advisable to go there for 2-3 days and arrange for accommodation prior to me starting employment.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:17 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sakss
Is it advisable to go there for 2-3 days and arrange for accommodation prior to me starting employment.
Your new employer/ sponsor should be organising accommodation for you, at least for the first month or so. That's the norm.

Problem is, you'll likely need a bank account opened to get a cheque book before you can rent a property. There might be a few places that would accept cash for a short term stay (Ezdan in Al Dafna area being one possibility).

Otherwise you'll need to stay in a hotel, which are very expensive and will rapidly erode your hard earned salary.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:23 am
Just Joined

smoss94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I'm living in Doha at the moment, and I've been staying in Ezdan West Bay for just over a month. I am looking to move out in the next weeks and find an apartment or villa share, so I wonder whether anyone else is in a similar position. I am looking for a place quite central near Al Sadd, Doha Al Jadeed, Musheireb, Fareej bin Mahmoud, or Al Rumaila. If anyone is interested, do private message me.

Thanks,

Sam
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:26 am
Just Joined

spiritofistanbul is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smoss94
Hi everyone,

I'm living in Doha at the moment, and I've been staying in Ezdan West Bay for just over a month. I am looking to move out in the next weeks and find an apartment or villa share, so I wonder whether anyone else is in a similar position. I am looking for a place quite central near Al Sadd, Doha Al Jadeed, Musheireb, Fareej bin Mahmoud, or Al Rumaila. If anyone is interested, do private message me.

Thanks,

Sam
Hi Sam

How are you finding the Ezdan West Bay apartments - we are looking for a 1/2 bed apartment in West Bay and have got Ezdan as one of the apartment blocks for us to check out - I have heard mixed reviews and would be good to get your view on it?

I've heard that the quality of it is not that good, and furnishings look a bit dated!

Thanks