Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Qatar, should I renegotiate my salary package?

Moving to Qatar, should I renegotiate my salary package?

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Aceizbad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Qatar, should I renegotiate my salary package?

Hi all,
So I am to be accepted for a new role as a Data Analyst in Qatar and was wondering whether the package offered was sufficient enough to live a good live as an expat (with his wife)?

They have offered 15k basic, 6,600 for accom and transport allowance too. This was the basic package and I’m not too sure what else will come with the package. Is this the average for someone with 3 years of experience in the above role?

The other question I had was do you guys think this is enough on the basis that I save 10k, as that is what I am aiming for.
In terms of spending habits, it would be great for my wife and I to go out to dinner once or twice a week, a movie once a week and do other activities throughout the month too.
With that in mind, do you guys believe 5k is enough to live off of?

We would also like to go on the occasional holiday once or twice a year but I hear it is rather expensive to fly in/out of Qatar. Would this also be viable or not?

Once my wife starts working, we will be able (hopefully) double the household income and be able to live off of 10K and save the rest, so if it is too low to begin with, the non saving money will eventually increase.

Please let me know your thoughts and any advice is welcomed.

I’m looking forward to all the replies.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 12:18 am
Just Joined

thebadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Qatar, should I renegotiate my salary package?

I cannot comment on Qatar but I was on a similar level package in the UAE (exchange rates are the same both pegged to dollar at 3.6x) and it wasnt great. Even with paid for accommodation and a car.... yeah you need 7-8k a month to have a life quality. As an example - in the UAE, a round of golf, a couple of drinks and food could easily be costing £250 when converted back to £s in the current exchange rate. In the UK I could do the same for £50-60. Everytime you do something.... its £100.

I was on a basic rate not much more than that, and I wouldn't save much as a single man without lessening my life quality relative to the UK.

A guy in a bar once told me, look at what your jobs worth in the US market (in US dollars) (as middle east currency is pegged to dollar), convert to the local currency and add - as a minimum 25% - as a premium for working in the middle east - and that gives you your low end sorta numbers.

The current exchange rate makes things seem more appealling than they really are - something that costs 1000 riyals, costs 1000 riyals - regardless if the exchange rate to the pound is 4.5 or 6.5 (as an example - a Nissan X-Trail costing £24k in the UK, is costing £32k in the UAE for the same model due to exchange rates)

if the exchange rate normalises back to the 5.5 to the pound sort of level where it historically is, is the package still looking good?

in my opinion, that isnt a great package.

Last edited by thebadger; Apr 23rd 2020 at 12:42 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aceizbad
Hi all,
So I am to be accepted for a new role as a Data Analyst in Qatar and was wondering whether the package offered was sufficient enough to live a good live as an expat (with his wife)?

They have offered 15k basic, 6,600 for accom and transport allowance too. This was the basic package and I’m not too sure what else will come with the package. Is this the average for someone with 3 years of experience in the above role?

The other question I had was do you guys think this is enough on the basis that I save 10k, as that is what I am aiming for.
In terms of spending habits, it would be great for my wife and I to go out to dinner once or twice a week, a movie once a week and do other activities throughout the month too.
With that in mind, do you guys believe 5k is enough to live off of?

We would also like to go on the occasional holiday once or twice a year but I hear it is rather expensive to fly in/out of Qatar. Would this also be viable or not?

Once my wife starts working, we will be able (hopefully) double the household income and be able to live off of 10K and save the rest, so if it is too low to begin with, the non saving money will eventually increase.

Please let me know your thoughts and any advice is welcomed.

I’m looking forward to all the replies.
In a nutshell you are going to struggle , its no where near enough to live like you have stated . One word on Qatar , always get enough cushion to be comfortable , its a shit hole covered in bits of glitter . Money should be your only end goal in Doha as it will offer you very little else .
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

clergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
In a nutshell you are going to struggle , its no where near enough to live like you have stated . One word on Qatar , always get enough cushion to be comfortable , its a shit hole covered in bits of glitter . Money should be your only end goal in Doha as it will offer you very little else .
This is true of most of the GCC, to be fair. It just takes a little longer to notice it in somewhere like Dubai.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 6:02 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

You've been a tireless advocate for Qatar over the years I'm starting to suspect you have a side job with the Tourism Ministry
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 7:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What's the total cash they'll give you each month in pocket?

It's probably a decent offer for 3 years experience.
What does your wife do?
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
What's the total cash they'll give you each month in pocket?

It's probably a decent offer for 3 years experience.
What does your wife do?
So the total would be 23,400. This includes all the allowances that they have provided.
My wife is a business teacher and, after looking at the market, it seems as though she will get a similar basic package to myself (15k).

Once she starts work, we will be able to allocate more towards living so we will try to survive off of 10k per month.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 8:17 am
Just Joined

A shithole covered in glitter? I’m suddenly looking forward to it. Lol.

Once my wife starts working we will be able to allocate 10k towards living expenses, maybe that is enough. I would have enjoyed doing activities with my wife on a weekly basis but I guess we won’t be able to as it would ALOT to our costs right?
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
You've been a tireless advocate for Qatar over the years I'm starting to suspect you have a side job with the Tourism Ministry

To be fair i did nearly 6 years there but that's because i was on a good project and i earned well plus i had a multi exit permit and a generous leave cycle .In 6 years i never spent 1 days leave in the country.

You know what they say about Doha , "Don't look out the window too much during the day as you'll have fu** all to do on a night time "
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

A shithole covered in glitter? I’m suddenly looking forward to it. Lol.

Once my wife starts working we will be able to allocate 10k towards living expenses, maybe that is enough. I would have enjoyed doing activities with my wife on a weekly basis but I guess we won’t be able to as it would ALOT to our costs right?
Others might have better data than me as I've been gone nearly 5 years but it seems very light mate to be fair . Qatar in general will suck the cash out of you and offer you very little value back . Its also relative to your current situation now though as well .

Best of luck
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 9:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

So the total would be 23,400. This includes all the allowances that they have provided.
My wife is a business teacher and, after looking at the market, it seems as though she will get a similar basic package to myself (15k).

Once she starts work, we will be able to allocate more towards living so we will try to survive off of 10k per month.
What do rent prices look like? I've got no idea but at a guess, a cheap-ish apartment at 75k for example is 6,250, bills 1,500 say, food 2k a month, car 3,000 = 12,750 to exist, plus 4 flights a year at 4,500 is another 1,500 monthly, so call it 15,000 a month in needed expenses.

23,400 - 15,000 is 8,000 to save and for fun and beer. It's not a lot but it's definitely doable. I came to the UAE on less than that but was alone initially.
Add 15k a month from her and you're laughing. That's probably the crux.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What do rent prices look like? I've got no idea but at a guess, a cheap-ish apartment at 75k for example is 6,250, bills 1,500 say, food 2k a month, car 3,000 = 12,750 to exist, plus 4 flights a year at 4,500 is another 1,500 monthly, so call it 15,000 a month in needed expenses.

23,400 - 15,000 is 8,000 to save and for fun and beer. It's not a lot but it's definitely doable. I came to the UAE on less than that but was alone initially.
Add 15k a month from her and you're laughing. That's probably the crux.
He can get a basic furnished place in Sadd, all inclusive of the bills (majority of places in Qatar come all inclusive and paid monthly), for 5-6k. Can spend more if he wants but it's just lipstick on a pig.

If he's a Muslim who doesn't drink or goes to bars often, it's quite feasible for a couple to live off 10-13k a month and save the other 10k. Scores of mid earning expats in that category and live quite well by their standards.

If you want the Pearl or West Bay flat, golfing, weekly brunches, then yes, he'll spend everything.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar is alright. There are many knockers but it is better dollar than elsewhere in the Gulf and less window dressing and bullshit. It is a place to come, get your head down, make some good cash and move on. It is the Gulf in its purest sense: less chop chop than Saudi, fewer wankers than Dubai, better money than both.

That package they are offering is shit for a British passport, good for a desi one.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I did 17 years in Saudi. I lasted 2 weeks in Qatar. Awful place.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It's relative to your current situation.

For 15k I would not go to Qatar and I think you will struggle to hit your savings targets.

What are you on in the UK? Ultimately this is a business deal and the comparison is the key.

If you take the Qatar job you need to understand it's not forever and the rug can be pulled out from under you at any time. The ratio of number of people who stay more than two years is very low. You need to always have a "back to the UK" plan that you can dust off. Don't look at this as you're making a long-term, 10-year move because the odds are you aren't and won't make it even close to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.