Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Qatar, looking for some friends!

Moving to Qatar, looking for some friends!

Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Qatar, looking for some friends!

Kumasaki,

I'm going to shock everyone else on here and admit that Doha isn't.....bad. I'm one of the usual haters because I lived in the UAE twice before this forced relocation to Qatar a year ago. I still don't like Qatar but for a young expat there are advantages. Doha is small, easy to get around, the range of amenities and social opportunities quite limited but that means everyone gets to know each other fairly easily and there's a sociability that derives from it. Qatar isn't driven by the bling bling that the UAE is. And another advantage to Doha over the UAE is that it's cheaper for most things.

I can see why some Doha residents claim to not like Dubai, because the latter is much busier and more intense compared to Qatar so they don't mind foregoing the blatantly obvious much higher quality of life in the UAE. I still think Qatar is a shithole but I suspect if I'd come out here at age 24 as my first expat posting, I'd have enjoyed it for a year or two before moving on.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
My dad did this once, he had a heart attack the next day. Not saying they are connected but...

Oxygen is the training and drug house for Big Ramy.
A friend showed me the recent Mr Olympia and now i recognize Big Ramy !!
Old Dec 8th 2018, 7:45 am
Just Joined

farooq12 is an unknown quantity at this point

EMS not at all recommended.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 11:46 am
Just Joined

mazarim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kumasaki
Hi all,
I'm Cal, I'm 24, and I'm from the UK. I'm an English teacher and I am flying out to Qatar tomorrow to teach in a school in Doha.
One minor issue is that I've literally put my life in a suitcase and am flying to the otherside of the world for a fresh start, I'm doing it entirely on my own, and I have also never been to the Middle East before. So yeah, it would be great if I could get to know some people to share this new and exciting experience with!

Thanks everyone!
Cal
Hey, Following on from your first post- how are you finding it out there if your still in Doha? I am about to make the same move in a couple months too.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazarim
Hey, Following on from your first post- how are you finding it out there if your still in Doha? I am about to make the same move in a couple months too.
we never heard back. This means it either went really well or very badly.