Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Qatar - Job opportunities

Moving to Qatar - Job opportunities

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Qatar - Job opportunities

Congratulations!

10k salary on top of your wife's role isn't too bad. You'll be living decently enough and if you watch your expenditures you'll still be able to afford a holiday in Thailand or Sri Lanka.

Second CoDurhamBoy - whatever you do DO NOT TAKE ON ANY DEBT. I wouldn't even take on a car loan till you've been in Doha for a year and know your job's solid enough. And even then get something cheap. Remember: despite the temptations, you're young, don't jump into the fanciest car / brunches / shopping. Stay young and carefree and don't burden yourself with possessions.

If you work hard, keep your head down, learn the game, there's no reason why you can't work your way steadily upwards through the professional ranks and double your income in a few years.

Originally Posted by Calum123
Hello Everyone,

Its been exactly 2 months since my last post and the time has flown by. My wife and I have both graduated, had a lovely summer saying goodbye to our family and friends and are pretty much ready to start our new life in Qatar. We fly out on the 29th of August which is only 7 days away.. buzzing!

In this time I have managed to get two job offers, interviewed for them both and accept a position. I start work as a relationship manager for financial services company on the 13th of September. Hopefully this will us enough time to settle in and get our head around Qatar life a little. The Salary is 10,000 QAR p/m plus bonus which I am happy to start on considering I am a 23 year old fresh out of university.

My next question to you guys is...... What is the best method for getting a car? I have done some research and at the moment I am leaning towards rental until christmas then a bank loan to purchase after that. Any input would be greatly appreciated I was hoping I would come across an option to lease but so far my search has come up trumps..
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone,

Its been exactly 2 months since my last post and the time has flown by. My wife and I have both graduated, had a lovely summer saying goodbye to our family and friends and are pretty much ready to start our new life in Qatar. We fly out on the 29th of August which is only 7 days away.. buzzing!

In this time I have managed to get two job offers, interviewed for them both and accept a position. I start work as a relationship manager for financial services company on the 13th of September. Hopefully this will us enough time to settle in and get our head around Qatar life a little. The Salary is 10,000 QAR p/m plus bonus which I am happy to start on considering I am a 23 year old fresh out of university.

My next question to you guys is...... What is the best method for getting a car? I have done some research and at the moment I am leaning towards rental until christmas then a bank loan to purchase after that. Any input would be greatly appreciated I was hoping I would come across an option to lease but so far my search has come up trumps..
That sets off an alarm bell in my head. Are you sure this salary is guaranteed? Sounds like you'll spend all day cold-calling people who don't want to hear from you, many of whom will be less than polite as they get bothered all the time.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Calum123 is an unknown quantity at this point

@ CoDurhamBoy & DXBtoDOH - Thank you for the sound advice, I was thinking exactly that get a cheap rental for 6 months then re-assess. My heart is saying get a Range Rover the first month you are there but my head is telling me otherwise

@ Meow - Yes the salary is 100% guaranteed with a commission structure in place on top. I would never have signed the contract if it wasn't. Before I even went to the interview in London I got in touch with current employees to get a feel for the role. Each of them said the job is as rewarding as you make it and were comfortable at the company. I did express my concern about the "cold calling" aspect and they all said after about 5 months of being there is it nearly non-existent as you will mainly be attending events, conferences or meeting face to face with clients. Regardless of that one of my first roles in the financial services was in telesales which was purely cold calling leads to try and sell Health, Income Protection, Life and Critical Illness Insurance. I actually thrived in that environment and within a year I was off the phones and became a team leader.

Any contacts for cheap car rentals then anyone? Ideally I would like a 4x4 just because I have read about the lunatic drivers in the middle east and I want my wife to feel as safe as possible.

Last edited by Calum123; Aug 24th 2016 at 12:46 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

@ CoDurhamBoy & DXBtoDOH - Thank you for the sound advice, I was thinking exactly that get a cheap rental for 6 months then re-assess. My heart is saying get a Range Rover the first month you are there but my head is telling me otherwise

@ Meow - Yes the salary is 100% guaranteed with a commission structure in place on top. I would never have signed the contract if it wasn't. Before I even went to the interview in London I got in touch with current employees to get a feel for the role. Each of them said the job is as rewarding as you make it and were comfortable at the company. I did express my concern about the "cold calling" aspect and they all said after about 5 months of being there is it nearly non-existent as you will mainly be attending events, conferences or meeting face to face with clients. Regardless of that one of my first roles in the financial services was in telesales which was purely cold calling leads to try and sell Health, Income Protection, Life and Critical Illness Insurance. I actually thrived in that environment and within a year I was off the phones and became a team leader.

Any contacts for cheap car rentals then anyone? Ideally I would like a 4x4 just because I have read about the lunatic drivers in the middle east and I want my wife to feel as safe as possible.
100% guaranteed in this region? Bless your newbie naivety!

Come back and tell me how it's going in six months time...
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Forget a 4x4. Even an average Toyota Fortuner 2.7 (the most basic of 4x4's) will run you 2,500-3000 a month minimum. Get a Tida / Yaris / Sunny etc like everyone else! They will be in the region of 1,750.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Renting cars can be quite expensive, we used to do it when we first arrived in Qatar in 2011, for a basic Toyota Camry we were paying in the region of QAR2,200 month and that was 2011 prices. I agree a 4x4 is a better option but that will be pricey. Maybe initially you may have to take the hit with the rental until you get used to Qatar life and see if its for you. As long as you have a good circle of friends that will ease the boredom as there isnt much to do there. If you choose to get a bank loan bear in mind you will not be allowed to leave the country until all debts are paid which is why I suggest you do the rental first. Also if you do buy I suggest you buy new, we bought a second hand range rover, got it inspected at a garage (this is standard procedure on used vehicles) and all was alledgedly well according to the garage and we had no end of problems with it, ended up selling it for parts after spending about QAR20,000+ trying to repair it. Prado's tend to be a good buy and have good re-sale value.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by topcat1972
Renting cars can be quite expensive, we used to do it when we first arrived in Qatar in 2011, for a basic Toyota Camry we were paying in the region of QAR2,200 month and that was 2011 prices. I agree a 4x4 is a better option but that will be pricey. Maybe initially you may have to take the hit with the rental until you get used to Qatar life and see if its for you. As long as you have a good circle of friends that will ease the boredom as there isnt much to do there. If you choose to get a bank loan bear in mind you will not be allowed to leave the country until all debts are paid which is why I suggest you do the rental first. Also if you do buy I suggest you buy new, we bought a second hand range rover, got it inspected at a garage (this is standard procedure on used vehicles) and all was alledgedly well according to the garage and we had no end of problems with it, ended up selling it for parts after spending about QAR20,000+ trying to repair it. Prado's tend to be a good buy and have good re-sale value.
I think the fact you bought a second hand RR in the ME negates any of the advice you've just given.... It wasn't a P38 was it? The V8? Please tell me it's so.

Seriously though, you don't need a 4x4 or even a Camry for that matter. Just get a cheapie Yaris, Lancer, Tida, Rio or whatever. In DXB they're about 1,700 so I assume would be similar there.

Also Prado's are waaaay overpriced for what they are. Always have been.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Prados are ridiculously overpriced, but they also have insanely good resale value. One of the best out there. Thanks to the South Asians.

For a place like Qatar where's there's bugger all to do and terrible driving, get a basic Japanese model and don't worry about it. Most people are only in Qatar for 1-2-3 years so why spend money on a nice car? OP should rent a Tiida or Yars.

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I think the fact you bought a second hand RR in the ME negates any of the advice you've just given.... It wasn't a P38 was it? The V8? Please tell me it's so.

Seriously though, you don't need a 4x4 or even a Camry for that matter. Just get a cheapie Yaris, Lancer, Tida, Rio or whatever. In DXB they're about 1,700 so I assume would be similar there.

Also Prado's are waaaay overpriced for what they are. Always have been.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Hello to everyone who provided me with answers to my questions and gave me advice before making the move to Qatar. Thank you for all your advice and guidance, I thought it was about time to come back and let you all know of my experience so far....

My wife and I moved out at the end of August and its now time for us to go back to Wales for Christmas. In all honesty I can only say good things about Qatar so far. We have been up in Al Khor for almost 4 months and the community feel there is amazing. The school has put us up in a 4 bedroom/bathroom villa in a nice quiet compound with 16 other villas. Everyone is amazing and funnily enough we have met at least 10 other Welsh folk in Al Khor alone, so you never feel too far away from home.

Both of our jobs are going great, The school is literally a 5 minute drive for my wife. I commute into West Bay most days which is a bit of a drag at times but not any worse than the commute I was doing in the UK.

The weekends are filled with brunches, chilling out by the pool or going to Fuwairit beach just north of Al Khor (an actual perk of living there). Now the temperature has dropped we are looking forward to coming back from our break and doing some of the desert excursions! the money that we are both on more than covers the cost of living out here. We have been splashing out most weekends and still have some money sitting in our bank at the end of the month.

Also went against everything everyone said on here and bought a second hand Hummer H3 ( expat owned from new) lovely car which we have had no problems with so far!

To anybody reading this thread having doubts about moving to Qatar because of all the scaremongering going on... just do it! everybody has a different experience in the country and comes down to what you do in your time here. There are times when you think to yourself WTF but I can assure you the positives MASSIVELY outweigh the negatives.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
100% guaranteed in this region? Bless your newbie naivety!

Come back and tell me how it's going in six months time...
4 months in and yes 100% guaranteed....
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I'm glad you like Qatar. Someone has to, I suppose

I've been here for 12 days now and am contemplating resigning by next summer. Part of it has to do with work (great team, great office, western company but the nature of my responsibilities have changed in ways I'm not happy about), which combined with that moving to Qatar after living in the UAE feels like taking a massive step back in just about every aspect of the quality of my life.

We'll see how the new year shapes up, however.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:36 am
Just Joined

DXBtoDOH - Im sorry to hear that, hopefully things start to look up in the new year for you. I have been over to Dubai a few times with work and each time have been glad to come back to Qatar. Dubai is too big for me, each to their own I suppose.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

DXBtoDOH - Im sorry to hear that, hopefully things start to look up in the new year for you. I have been over to Dubai a few times with work and each time have been glad to come back to Qatar. Dubai is too big for me, each to their own I suppose.
Glad it's working out for you mate , a positive attitude always helps and obviously it's early days but it's horses for courses as they say .

When the shine wears off the cracks will appear but that's the same with any location just time dependant .

Interested to hear your take on Dubai but you do get that a lot and vice versa .
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Adopt the same lifestyle as those from India and you will survive on that salary. White collar workers from india and the Philippines manage on less !
Old Jan 4th 2017, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Adopt the same lifestyle as those from India and you will survive on that salary. White collar workers from india and the Philippines manage on less !

We are on more than enough to survive and infact thrive but thanks for the input, you're about 4 months and 40 comments too late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.