Moving to Qatar

Old May 19th 2010, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

as0056 will become famous soon enoughas0056 will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to Qatar

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place...

I'm weighing up a job offer in Qatar but am finding it pretty difficult to get a realistic (and up to date) idea of the cost of living. Loads of stuff on Google but its all a few years old.

My offer in Qatar is QAR 30,000 per month - that is the 'package', so will need to pay rent out of that.

Some of the websites I have seen suggest a small-ish villa will be in the region of QAR 15k per month, leaving me with 15k which I think is around £2700. That is marginally more than I make net in the UK and assuming I can rent my house here then I'll be a fair amount better off..... assuming the wife gets a job.

I am minded to try to bump them up to QAR 35k per month.

If anyone can shed any light on cost of living, decent salary level, rental costs etc that would be very much appreciated. It is a decent sum of money when translated into GBP but I just have no idea whether it would, in real terms, represent an improvement on current earnings.

It is just my wife and I (although hopefully a little person too in the next 12 months ) plus our dog, so I think we'd need a small villa rather than a flat - can't be done with midnight trips down the stairs to let the dog out for the loo!!
Old May 19th 2010, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to Qatar

Hi, I have lived in Qatar for nearly 2 years and it is expensive but rents have come way down and you should find a 3 bed villa for QR 10,000 to 12,000 pm.
I earn 45 but have 2 children and we have a good lifestyle at the moment but will be great once we move to cheaper accommodation.
Eating out and drinking are V expensive but we usually have friends round or go to theirs.
Its good here for families but can be a bit limited for going out.
Utilities are V cheap and to fill up our 4x4 costs less than gbp10. Fruit and vegetables are cheap and meat a bit cheaper than UK.
Dont expect to save any money for first year due to set up costs unless employer pays these.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for reply... is that 45k for a family of 4 or does your other half work too?
Old May 20th 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Hi,

I agree you should be able to find a small 3 br compound villa now for QR10K. But try to work directly with the owners - in fact insist on it. That way you save the agency mark-up which could be as much as QR2,000 a month.
Prices are still dropping for these villas.

You don't note medical insurance? I assume you have that? plus transportation, or is your package "all-in"? Allow Qr1800 monthly for a rental.

Be aware of the need to pay up to 6 months in advance - but some landlords will now take 3 months. Make sure to have a "give-termination notice" clause.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:25 am
Account Closed

captaincaveman is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.thewordinqatar.com/classi...R/details.html
Old May 20th 2010, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Keoic
Hi,

I agree you should be able to find a small 3 br compound villa now for QR10K. But try to work directly with the owners - in fact insist on it. That way you save the agency mark-up which could be as much as QR2,000 a month.
Prices are still dropping for these villas.

You don't note medical insurance? I assume you have that? plus transportation, or is your package "all-in"? Allow Qr1800 monthly for a rental.

Be aware of the need to pay up to 6 months in advance - but some landlords will now take 3 months. Make sure to have a "give-termination notice" clause.
Hi - yes, package is "all in", so would need to fund car, insurance, flights etc out of that, plus rent.

I'm struggling to work out whether it is enough or not!!
Old May 21st 2010, 7:52 am
Account Closed

You need to realistic. You are coming with wife, kid on way and are bringing the dog.

In my industry, your package would be considered rubbish and when the pound becomes stronger again (it was around 7 riyals to the pound 3 years ago) the package looks worse and worse.

Anything that does not include family medical, flights and insurance is to be avoided.
Old May 21st 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by captaincaveman
You need to realistic. You are coming with wife, kid on way and are bringing the dog.

In my industry, your package would be considered rubbish and when the pound becomes stronger again (it was around 7 riyals to the pound 3 years ago) the package looks worse and worse.

Anything that does not include family medical, flights and insurance is to be avoided.
thanks - exactly the sort of feedback I was after. What is your industry? I am a lawyer, albeit fairly junior level
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. Ive been in Dubai for work, to answer your question my wife works and earn an additional 5K part time. so we manage on GBP 9500 per month, sounds a lot but really doesnt feel that much.
We pay for all our costs out of my salary though, In Doha people have different experience with employers and costs, I got flamed a while back for saying that it is not so normal now to have all costs met but this is our reality and if you get an all in package you are free to shop around on rentals etc.
PM us if you have any specific questions.
PS 11k WILL get you a good sized 4 bedroom villa on a compound now, Not a small villa. Check out qatarliving.com for a few or PM me.
Old May 24th 2010, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Hi there

Construction with 20 years experience but if you are coming in at a junior level things can move along fairly rapidly - one of the reasons for coming.

Overseas can be sink or swin but if you can swim, the doors can open.

Be warned however that Qatar is expensive to live in - if you want to buy import good at the supermarket don't be suprised to see products from ICELAND (not exactly waitrose) with a 99p price on the wrapper priced at 6 pounds in the likes of megamart.

Brunch can also be a rip off and believe me going round to see other people 'to save money' soon becomes a bore.

If you and the mrs enjoy your own company and are not party people in the first place - you do exactly the same as at home

work - home - dinner - TV / Book - bed. Guildford or Qatar - same routine for the working week.

Weekends do the mall, go the movies, the beach, the pool - whatever.

Some of Qatar might be less than pretty but it has it good bits.

Do your sums and if it works for you - give it a go.

Just do not get drawn into buying or renting a big car or getting an apartment on the pearl. Start low key in year 1 and then you can make an informed decision.
Old May 26th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Originally Posted by captaincaveman
Hi there

Construction with 20 years experience but if you are coming in at a junior level things can move along fairly rapidly - one of the reasons for coming.

Overseas can be sink or swin but if you can swim, the doors can open.

Be warned however that Qatar is expensive to live in - if you want to buy import good at the supermarket don't be suprised to see products from ICELAND (not exactly waitrose) with a 99p price on the wrapper priced at 6 pounds in the likes of megamart.

Brunch can also be a rip off and believe me going round to see other people 'to save money' soon becomes a bore.

If you and the mrs enjoy your own company and are not party people in the first place - you do exactly the same as at home

work - home - dinner - TV / Book - bed. Guildford or Qatar - same routine for the working week.

Weekends do the mall, go the movies, the beach, the pool - whatever.

Some of Qatar might be less than pretty but it has it good bits.

Do your sums and if it works for you - give it a go.

Just do not get drawn into buying or renting a big car or getting an apartment on the pearl. Start low key in year 1 and then you can make an informed decision.
All good advice.

Once you have your accommodation sorted - you can get a HAMAD health card which entitles you to very low cost health care at the government run clinics & hospitals. Cost is QR100. Includes dental. I use Hamad Card as well as my medical insurance because Hamad is effectively free.

Megamart is the dearest Supermarket in Qatar. We enjoy using the local markets - it fills in our Friday mornings at the Fish Market & the Vegetable Market. Local supermarkets like "Family Food" centre is good & is my wife's first choice for shopping - much cheaper.

If you have a sense of adventure & get into the right attitude - you'll do OK.