British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-qatar-441515/)

brisbymob Apr 12th 2007 12:17 am

Moving to Qatar

Hi All,
What is Qatar like for families,two kids aged 9 and 13 love football.
What sort of schools are available.
Any lifestyle info would be appreciated

Thanks

Bob Apr 12th 2007 4:13 am

Re: Moving to Qatar

can't help to much, novita and malt know the place well though, but a bit of a start would be the ME section in the wiki, there's a fair chunk of schools at least :)

Mellie66 Apr 13th 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by brisbymob (Post 4629503)
Hi All,

Thanks

Brisbymob

there is a comprehensive list of schools and websites on this site
http://www.indexuae.com/qatar/qatarc...eytext=Schools

If you want the American Grade system, there is the American School, British curriculum at Doha College and some of the others, IB is available at Qatar Academy. If you are looking towards Doha College or American school it pays to find a house in the Al Waab/Al Azizzyah/Salwa/Khalifa stadium area, but if QAcademy, then the Duhail/landmark area. Traffic can be a nightmare especially during school runs/busy times.

check www.gulf-times.com classifed section for housing/leasing agents

Housing is ridiculously pricey at the moment, roadworks everywhere as well.

Social life is great especially for kids, lots of the schools run after schools activities and clubs. There is also the Rugby Club (mainly expat members) which has a rugby team for juniors as well. Not sure about football, tho the schools probably have that going on. At your kids ages, they will soon make friends and if you are lucky enough to get on a compound, you will probably never see them...lol

During the cooler months, its fun going out in the desert 4x4 and bbqs. My husband goes quadbiking with a massive group of guys at the weekends, if you want info on that, send me a pm and Ill pass you the info. If you are into horseriding, I can get you some info on that. There's also a pretty nice golf club as well.

There are some nice restaurants of all price ranges, the hotels all do nice Friday brunches, varying on price and whether they provide unlimited bubbly. A couple of nightclubs (pick up joints mainly.....lol)

On the whole, the expats we've met have been really lovely. The cost of living can be a bit pricey, but it pays to shop around for various stuff.

Hope that helps :)

Plutos Jul 7th 2007 12:50 pm

Hi All,

Thanks

Hi everyone,
we are a french family living in europe, my husband got a job offer in Doha.
Although he is very fascinated to work there, I am still wondering how our lifestyle would be in Doha for me and our young kids.
This is not our first expat experience but the first in a Middle east country.
House and school allowances are included in my husband offer package and we are wondering about all the other expenses and Doha lifestyle.
I have a few questions if anybody could help us in making up our minds:
-Cars: buying a car/insurances costs
-Housekeeping/babysitting: reliable? and where to ask for.
-Leisures: what can we do during days off
-Beach clubs ??: why ? costs and waiting list
-Any green areas for kids, or only desert sand ?
-women social condition: I am originating from a caribbean island (Martinique)...
Thanks for any informations and I wish all the best for families living there, I think is a great opportunity and an awarding experience you are giving to your children.
Ann.

Blue Cat Jul 7th 2007 12:54 pm

I have never been to Qatar for a long time but do a search on the forum for previous threads on the place. It doesn't really have a good reputation if I am honest with you. Not much to do etc. Little Jimmy spent some time there recently so let's hope he sees this and can answer your questions. Novi lives there so she may help and also Lady Lou.

Plutos Jul 7th 2007 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5022240)
I have never been to Qatar for a long time but do a search on the forum for previous threads on the place. It doesn't really have a good reputation if I am honest with you. Not much to do etc. Little Jimmy spent some time there recently so let's hope he sees this and can answer your questions. Novi lives there so she may help and also Lady Lou.

Tks for the quick reply,
I did some research on this forum and got many infos but at the end I still have some unsolved doubts...
I imagine Doha is not Las Vegas but here is where our fate is leading us at the moment.
Tks for your help.
Ann

novita77 Jul 7th 2007 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Plutos (Post 5022218)
Hi everyone,
we are a french family living in europe, my husband got a job offer in Doha.
Although he is very fascinated to work there, I am still wondering how our lifestyle would be in Doha for me and our young kids.
This is not our first expat experience but the first in a Middle east country.
House and school allowances are included in my husband offer package and we are wondering about all the other expenses and Doha lifestyle.
I have a few questions if anybody could help us in making up our minds:
-Cars: buying a car/insurances costs
-Housekeeping/babysitting: reliable? and where to ask for.
-Leisures: what can we do during days off
-Beach clubs ??: why ? costs and waiting list
-Any green areas for kids, or only desert sand ?
-women social condition: I am originating from a caribbean island (Martinique)...
Thanks for any informations and I wish all the best for families living there, I think is a great opportunity and an awarding experience you are giving to your children.
Ann.

- Car insurance will be normally 4 percents of the value annually.
- Leisures during day off in the summer time you will confine indoor (mall and eating out in restaurants), winter time u can go to the beach or do camping in the desert (inland sea, ostrich farm, dukhan movie set etc).
- Beach club ... cost is vary ... depend on how posh the hotel is.
- Green area? We do have some park for the kids. But most of the times i find broken glass in the park, not feeling very safe taking my son in there.
- woman social condition : plenty of coffee morning around, if you go to the local site qatarliving.com there is a social group run by a lady call Xena, also photography group from the same site.
- baby sitting. I don't have a baby sitter at such. Recommended you getting a full time maid.

anything else you need just shout :-)

Plutos Jul 8th 2007 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by novita77 (Post 5023027)
- Car insurance will be normally 4 percents of the value annually.
- Leisures during day off in the summer time you will confine indoor (mall and eating out in restaurants), winter time u can go to the beach or do camping in the desert (inland sea, ostrich farm, dukhan movie set etc).
- Beach club ... cost is vary ... depend on how posh the hotel is.
- Green area? We do have some park for the kids. But most of the times i find broken glass in the park, not feeling very safe taking my son in there.
- woman social condition : plenty of coffee morning around, if you go to the local site qatarliving.com there is a social group run by a lady call Xena, also photography group from the same site.
- baby sitting. I don't have a baby sitter at such. Recommended you getting a full time maid.

anything else you need just shout :-)

Tks novita 77,
great infos very much appreciated.
qatarliving.com very interesting site to get others infos.
Ann

kirstybest Jul 18th 2007 1:47 pm

Hi All,

Thanks

Hi,

There is a great book you can buy on Qatar called 1st Edition Explorer The complate residents guige - Qatar - there seems to be quite a few things for kids to do and you can hire the Doah Club for football at QR75 per hour. My partner and I are heading over from Sydney to Qatar next month so would be keen to make new expat friends!

expatmamma Jul 18th 2007 2:48 pm

My kids are 9 & 13 and they hate Doha (I know everyone is different). I would advise anyone thinking of moving to Doha to try and go for a look first and get a feel for the place as it really is boring.

kirstybest Jul 19th 2007 1:30 pm

Yes we did a 24 hour stop over and got shown around the city and surrounding towns. One thing that is not boring is the driving out there! I was excited to find a pizza express too as they do not have one out in Oz, the golf club seemed quite good too......

novita77 Jul 19th 2007 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by expatmamma (Post 5072727)
My kids are 9 & 13 and they hate Doha (I know everyone is different). I would advise anyone thinking of moving to Doha to try and go for a look first and get a feel for the place as it really is boring.

it is a tough age for the kids to move to somewhere like Qatar. As my kid are the opposite, he born here ... so far he have no idea what other places like.

novita77 Jul 19th 2007 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by kirstybest (Post 5077349)
Yes we did a 24 hour stop over and got shown around the city and surrounding towns. One thing that is not boring is the driving out there! I was excited to find a pizza express too as they do not have one out in Oz, the golf club seemed quite good too......

as far as i remember we have pizza express in following location :

- Landmark
- Villagio
- City Centre

:D Plenty of choice for u.

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Jul 19th 2007 3:39 pm

I just spent a year in Doha, you can search this section if you havent already and find my outlook on the place, and the reasons for it. However, all bias aside, I truely do not think I would take a 9 and 13 year old there if other options were open to me. Younger kids its a bit different.

Or lets put it this way, looking back (knowing what I know now), if my parents had moved me to Doha at that age, I would have been mortified!

The money has to be VERY, VERY good to warrant the quality of life available for a family in Doha imo. Quality of life however, is of course subjective and it depends what you're moving from ??

I would definitely suggest a go look. MM thinks Dubai is paradise compared to London, I would say the exact opposite :D

If you have specific questions do PM me, I'll answer as best I can.

novita77 Jul 20th 2007 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5078006)
I just spent a year in Doha, you can search this section if you havent already and find my outlook on the place, and the reasons for it. However, all bias aside, I truely do not think I would take a 9 and 13 year old there if other options were open to me. Younger kids its a bit different.

Or lets put it this way, looking back (knowing what I know now), if my parents had moved me to Doha at that age, I would have been mortified!

The money has to be VERY, VERY good to warrant the quality of life available for a family in Doha imo. Quality of life however, is of course subjective and it depends what you're moving from ??

I would definitely suggest a go look. MM thinks Dubai is paradise compared to London, I would say the exact opposite :D

If you have specific questions do PM me, I'll answer as best I can.

i agree with you tootsie... especially about the kiddies bit.