Moving to Qatar

Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Willie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Qatar

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
ADSL, phone and basic TV comes in at 600 a month.
Our mobiles go thro about 100 a month.
Water/Elec 300-500 a month.
Car rental 1900
Expat brand food and goods are bloody extortionate, certainly more than Dbx.
Eating out is very reasonable if you stay away from the hotels.

If you want costs of anything specific just ask.
Hi thanks for the information, house prices are round about the same as here in Dubai.
Will take it all in to account when negotiating the contract details.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:58 am
Just Joined

SAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud of

Hi all,

I will be moving in few weeks to Doha. (after the games)

I am starting looking for housing this week.
it seems that rental prices are rising very fast and not sure that after the games will becomes more affordable.
If u want, I can update u about my researchs.

Samy
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Willie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really nice

Originally Posted by SAMY_B
Hi all,

I will be moving in few weeks to Doha. (after the games)

I am starting looking for housing this week.
it seems that rental prices are rising very fast and not sure that after the games will becomes more affordable.
If u want, I can update u about my researchs.

Samy
Thanks Samy,
All information that you gather would be most welcome and helpful, thanks
Willie
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

We have several friends in the real estate/rentals business here in Qatar and there is a huge agreement between them and their colleagues that rental prices will stay as high as they are, even after the games are done and dusted. Landlords are currently getting the prices that they charge and as long as that is the case, they will keep charging extortionate rates. Lets not forget that they are in the business to make money, they arent charitable organisations......lol

If you check out the gulf-times.com website, you will see compounds and houses that wont be ready until Jan/Feb next year being advertised at the higher end. So the asian games being finished with, wont affect the market too much.

I can recommend a rather nice dumpster at the end of our road, but grab it quick, because as of Jan 31st, we will be putting a deposit on it, as our lease expires then, and the increase is standing at an extra 6000 QR a month.....

Im gonna check and see if the dumpster at the other end of the road will be vacant by then, for the kids......
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mellie66
We have several friends in the real estate/rentals business here in Qatar and there is a huge agreement between them and their colleagues that rental prices will stay as high as they are, even after the games are done and dusted. Landlords are currently getting the prices that they charge and as long as that is the case, they will keep charging extortionate rates. Lets not forget that they are in the business to make money, they arent charitable organisations......lol

If you check out the gulf-times.com website, you will see compounds and houses that wont be ready until Jan/Feb next year being advertised at the higher end. So the asian games being finished with, wont affect the market too much.

I can recommend a rather nice dumpster at the end of our road, but grab it quick, because as of Jan 31st, we will be putting a deposit on it, as our lease expires then, and the increase is standing at an extra 6000 QR a month.....

Im gonna check and see if the dumpster at the other end of the road will be vacant by then, for the kids......

Thanks for the input on the housing side of things, we are in Dubai at presenr and they are talking about the housing prices stabilising here, but can't see that as the landlords are not likely to adjust the rents downward are they??, Cheers again.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:39 am
Just Joined

SAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Willie Peden
Thanks for the input on the housing side of things, we are in Dubai at presenr and they are talking about the housing prices stabilising here, but can't see that as the landlords are not likely to adjust the rents downward are they??, Cheers again.
I contacted many real estate agents yesterday, the speech I heared was : for sure that prices will not come down after the games.
Honestly, I don't believe in that. If they will say yes it will come down, what should they do with actual stock ?
few other agents advised to wait after the games because of more availabilities and less prices.

Let's say that in worste case, if prices does not decrease, there will be more choices.

Will see.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:01 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2 year contract expires next month and the landlord hasnt yet advised us of any increase. I think hes waiting to see wots gonna happen. We all have to just wait and see but I do find it hard to believe that a lot of compounds and indep houses will remain empty due to the high rent. Im sure they will somehow put them down a bit. I mean how many ppl will be coming to Doha after the Games They surely wouldnt prefer to keep the accomodation empty or would they
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Malteser
Our 2 year contract expires next month and the landlord hasnt yet advised us of any increase. I think hes waiting to see wots gonna happen. We all have to just wait and see but I do find it hard to believe that a lot of compounds and indep houses will remain empty due to the high rent. Im sure they will somehow put them down a bit. I mean how many ppl will be coming to Doha after the Games They surely wouldnt prefer to keep the accomodation empty or would they
Check in your contract. May be if landlord does not notice you in advance about an increase, then he cannot ask it at the last moment. It's the case for Dubai's contracts
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

From some of the people coming in that we have had word from, they are in the lucky position of their housing allowances raised so that they can find housing that is at the current prices.

On a personal note, several of the houses in our block of houses, were actually empty for nearly two years because he wasnt getting the rent he wanted. Our landlord just waited it out until he got what he wanted.

You say there will be more choices, and yes thats true that more houses/compounds are being built, but when they are being leased, they are being leased at the higher prices. And whether we like it or not, there are companies that are prepared to pay what is being asked. Rents wont go down, while there are still companies paying what is being asked.

I know of several people that share their houses with other couples because they couldnt find a place that they could afford. That must be really bloody hard. I have trouble living with my own family, let alone strangers......lol
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Malt, it might be worth you checking with a rental agent, if your landlord has to give you a particular amount of notice that he is changing the rent. That could work in your advantage. You also might be one of the lucky ones and have a landlord who is fair.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mellie66
Malt, it might be worth you checking with a rental agent, if your landlord has to give you a particular amount of notice that he is changing the rent. That could work in your advantage. You also might be one of the lucky ones and have a landlord who is fair.
Thanking all for the input so far, was wondering what would be the going rate at the moment for a 2bedroom villa on a decent compound.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:19 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willie Peden
Thanking all for the input so far, was wondering what would be the going rate at the moment for a 2bedroom villa on a decent compound.
I don't think there is a 2 bedroom villa. Minimum would be 3 bedroom villa. I would say you will have to set your budget around 15.000 QR onwards.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SAMY_B
I contacted many real estate agents yesterday, the speech I heared was : for sure that prices will not come down after the games.
Honestly, I don't believe in that. If they will say yes it will come down, what should they do with actual stock ?
few other agents advised to wait after the games because of more availabilities and less prices.

Let's say that in worste case, if prices does not decrease, there will be more choices.

Will see.
Yeh we wondered the same. They are building loads of apartments and villa's and we wondered how many would be empty after the Asian Games if they continue to charge top rents when by then even more property will be available.
We chose to leave Qatar when the guy who owned our apartment came back to work early and all we could find available was a villa at 18,000QR. No way were we paying that much! :scared: :scared:
But of rents do drop.... who knows.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

We had to move in September and one of the biggest difficulties we encountered was the answer "one company!" Many of the new compounds and apt blocks are not available to rent independently so as a couple finding your own place rather than being put in a company compound you're a bit fukced. Not only are you covering what the Arabs want, you're paying on top the ridiculous cuts of the agencies.

In the end we took on a big duplex 3 bed apt over Al Sadd way, nicely furnised even if Doha finished We looked for about a month and it was the best option we had. We do sublet which means we get a much nicer place in the location we prefer. We knew our flatmate and we work nights and he works days so we only ever really cross paths at the w/e. Obvioulsy wouldn't want to be doing that with kids in tow.

Normal market forces just do not apply here and as so many of the landlords outright own and just dont care that much if stuff sits empty. We have a big, brand new compound next to us behind the Q-Tel building thats been finished and security locked since June to my knowlege.

On the flip side

"Source ::: The Peninsula doha • An expert on real estate market has said house rents in Qatar might fall by 30 per cent after the Asian Games which will start here on December 1.

Naif Al Hajri, who is also a businessman, told a local daily that he agreed with the opinion that housing rents would witness a decline. However, it will be in a phased manner, he added. He, however, disagreed with the view that rents might tumble as much as 70 to 80 per cent.

He asked the government to fix a better criterion to classify contractors and provide facilities and services to them. Those getting such facilities should be reputed companies with clean records."

Really is a case of only time will tell imo too.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; Nov 27th 2006 at 11:08 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Tootsie, same problem here, 'let to one company' drives me absolutely bonkers when I see that in the papers. My husbands company is a big one, but it leaves it to you to find your own accommodation, which has basically left us screwed over.

as for the 'doha finishing' lol....... its time to lose that phrase 'jerry built' and replace it with 'doha built'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.