British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Qatar in 2017 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-qatar-2017-a-902945/)

Syed.abbas Sep 5th 2017 11:37 pm

Moving to Qatar in 2017

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice. I have a variety of experience in financial services (insurance sector in main) ranging from managing quality, improving business processes,writing oilicies and procedures, financial crime prevention, KYC stuff, managing projects, providing subject matter expertise, conducting audits, compliance, operations support, strategy, committee work and even training. I have a post grad in quality, having studied business risk, projects, quality techniques and analysis, ISO standards and corporate law. I have over 15 years experience.

I'm 38, British, and have a family with 2 kids.

I'd be very grateful if someone already living or having lived there can answer my questions.

1- Is there any scope for someone with my skillset to earn a decent wage in Qatar ?

2- if yes, what sort of salary is "good" based on my skills, degree and experience?

3- What is the best way to apply for jobs in Qatar ?

Cheers

Jammydodger2016 Sep 9th 2017 11:19 pm

Re: Moving to Qatar in 2017

Originally Posted by Syed.abbas (Post 12332032)
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice. I have a variety of experience in financial services (insurance sector in main) ranging from managing quality, improving business processes,writing oilicies and procedures, financial crime prevention, KYC stuff, managing projects, providing subject matter expertise, conducting audits, compliance, operations support, strategy, committee work and even training. I have a post grad in quality, having studied business risk, projects, quality techniques and analysis, ISO standards and corporate law. I have over 15 years experience.

I'd be very grateful if someone already living or having lived there can answer my questions.

1- Is there any scope for someone with my skillset to earn a decent wage in Qatar ?

2- if yes, what sort of salary is "good" based on my skills, degree and experience?

Cheers

Hi,you can try Bayt, Gulf careers and Linked In. I am moving to Qatar next month and LinkedIn I found was the best way to make connections. To be honest I got the job through a connection on LinkeIn!

Jammydodger2016 Sep 9th 2017 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Syed.abbas (Post 12332032)
Hi folks,

Cheers

Hi,you can try Bayt, Gulf careers and Linked In. I am moving to Qatar next month and LinkedIn I found was the best way to make connections. To be honest I got the job through a connection on LinkedIn!

Syed.abbas Sep 9th 2017 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jammydodger2016 (Post 12335084)
Hi,you can try Bayt, Gulf careers and Linked In. I am moving to Qatar next month and LinkedIn I found was the best way to make connections. To be honest I got the job through a connection on LinkedIn!

Cheers 👍

DXBtoDOH Sep 13th 2017 6:42 am

My god why would anyone want to live in Qatar? Even a grimy estate in Bradford is better.

Dubaiexile Sep 13th 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12337035)
My god why would anyone want to live in Qatar? Even a grimy estate in Bradford is better.

Some parts are exactly like that with sunshine!!!

Syed.abbas Sep 13th 2017 8:59 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12337035)

😂😂

Money makes the mare go. Salaries are better and there is potential.

Syed.abbas Sep 13th 2017 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12337055)
Some parts are exactly like that with sunshine!!!

Which parts? I'm only interested in Doha for now as it's more developed than other cities.

DXBtoDOH Sep 13th 2017 9:19 am

It's the only city in Qatar....

Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the UAE are far more developed. Even Muscat offers a better QOL than Doha.

Doha is a very thin veneer of modernity taped onto a chaotic, dull, shabby, and dusty Middle Eastern city.

Originally Posted by Syed.abbas (Post 12337105)
Which parts? I'm only interested in Doha for now as it's more developed than other cities.

Syed.abbas Sep 13th 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12337114)
It's the only city in Qatar....

Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the UAE are far more developed. Even Muscat offers a better QOL than Doha.

Doha is a very thin veneer of modernity taped onto a chaotic, dull, shabby, and dusty Middle Eastern city.

Thank you very much, I was considering them as an option too. Are there any direct employers you'd recommend ?

martinbkk Sep 14th 2017 10:57 am

Against all the Gulf, or should that be Gelph, countries I'll take Qatar (Doha) over Saudi or Kuwait, or Yemen. Otherwise I think the others all have Qatar beat.

jam25mack Sep 14th 2017 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12337922)
Against all the Gulf, or should that be Gelph, countries I'll take Qatar (Doha) over Saudi or Kuwait, or Yemen. Otherwise I think the others all have Qatar beat.

Used to live in Kuwait and other than it being a bit boring its pretty easy going.

martinbkk Sep 14th 2017 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12337995)
Used to live in Kuwait and other than it being a bit boring its pretty easy going.

Yeah, Doha might not be Bangkok wild but at least you get to go out swill some beers meet the odd few people, some very odd. A few reasonable restaurants and the like. Really don't recall anything even remotely interesting in Kuwait. I think it's one place a vpn and a huge box of Kleenex should come with every job offer.