British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving out of Dubai this summer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-out-dubai-summer-602060/)

Cham128 Apr 6th 2009 2:07 pm

Moving out of Dubai this summer?

I've just come back from my quarterly trip out there and it wasn't as completely empty as I thought it would be, someone mentioned to me that when the school term finished this summer a lot of people would be making the move then. Anyone here planning on that or know if there's any truth in that statement?

Blue Cat Apr 6th 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Moving out of Dubai this summer?

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7455950)
I've just come back from my quarterly trip out there and it wasn't as completely empty as I thought it would be, someone mentioned to me that when the school term finished this summer a lot of people would be making the move then. Anyone here planning on that or know if there's any truth in that statement?

definately the truth, the Receptionist at school told me that they had noticed a big drop in people registering for September term.

Cham128 Apr 6th 2009 3:09 pm

Ok now I just need to work out whether this is a good thing or bad thing

Blue Cat Apr 6th 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7456097)

you don't get rents dropping 60% when buildings are full do you ?

Cham128 Apr 6th 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7456107)
you don't get rents dropping 60% when buildings are full do you ?

well that's a good point along with less traffic, free cars (jk), I was even looking at places to possible buy out there last week but I guess the big problem is with all these people leaving does that mean there will be more jobs or does it mean more companies pulling out of Dubai?

Blue Cat Apr 6th 2009 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7456164)
well that's a good point along with less traffic, free cars (jk), I was even looking at places to possible buy out there last week but I guess the big problem is with all these people leaving does that mean there will be more jobs or does it mean more companies pulling out of Dubai?

the latter I would say ;)

The Dean Apr 6th 2009 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7456284)
the latter I would say ;)

When I was back there for the Sevens, it was nice to see SZR relatively jam-free at what used to be busy times of day though................. the jams are at the entrance to the "Dubai Airport Car Abandonment Area"...........

StublueKPL Apr 6th 2009 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7456164)

My company have just decide to close the Dubai office (only opened a year or so ago and they had a grand opening of the new building 6 months ago!!)

To be honest though, thats more to do with the company cutting back and they have decided to centralise everything with the Aberdeen office again (which it was doing before!) So looks like around half of the 80 or so staff are being laid off.

Jeeper Apr 6th 2009 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7456097)

How can it be a bad thing (aside from those who lost their jobs)....Dubai gets better by the day with less traffic, lower rents etc.
Dubai was at it's best when it was a hic town...and I only been here 5 years....i'm sure it was even better a decade ago +

Cham128 Apr 6th 2009 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7456682)
How can it be a bad thing (aside from those who lost their jobs)....Dubai gets better by the day with less traffic, lower rents etc.
Dubai was at it's best when it was a hic town...and I only been here 5 years....i'm sure it was even better a decade ago +

Well the bad thing is less jobs so less chance of making a permenant move out there

Blue Cat Apr 7th 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7456682)

it was fabulous in those days :wub:

Cham128 Apr 7th 2009 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7458775)
it was fabulous in those days :wub:

I found an old big bus tour map of when I was there in 2004 was very different back then the Hilton was the only thing in the jbr area and there no traffic

Blue Cat Apr 7th 2009 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7459260)
I found an old big bus tour map of when I was there in 2004 was very different back then the Hilton was the only thing in the jbr area and there no traffic

it was lovely, and no half dressed women in the malls :eek:

Cham128 Apr 7th 2009 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7459481)
it was lovely, and no half dressed women in the malls :eek:

Oh and there were less people with hidden cameras on the public beach

Blue Cat Apr 7th 2009 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7459562)
Oh and there were less people with hidden cameras on the public beach

there were just less people full stop :p