Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:15 am
Just Joined

mzperx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Originally Posted by admon
Driving in Oman is completely safe from a security point of view (its not Iraq!!) and from a road safety point of view I would much rather to drive myself than trust a sub continent guy being paid peanuts.
Live in maids are normal in this part of the world. No idea of the maid set up cost there, but wages for a maid are generally £150-200 per month. I understand setup costs are cheap, with the labour card and visa only costing around £150. (The set up cost may be outdated).
Classes are generally confined to schools, with the British school in Muscat offering the nest in range.
Depends where you are in Oman, but Muscat is ok for stroller walking only Nov Dec in the day, and Nov-Mar at night.
Thanks for your answer. I meant road safety, of course I read that otherwise it's a safe country.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:37 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearfus
89 - 97 - SAF Club (long closed now), sometimes PDO, Muscat Divers, GT88, lots of jebel bashing - it was A LOT quieter in those days, with regard to Night Clubs etc.... Pavo Real and Intercon Pub was about as 'withit' as it got in them days !
I was there 90-99 but still have family there. I was there with my Dad at PDO first then went and worked for Apex Publishing (Oman Today etc) and a couple of ad agencies.
I was back a few months ago but didn't make it to Pavo Real but did go to the Intercon for drinks before getting married in 2002 at the rugby club! My wifes father was a SAF member in those days.
I'm sure we have people in common. Have you been to the Facebook groups of ex-Oman people? I got back in touch with quite a few people from those days.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

bearfus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by admon
Driving in Oman is completely safe from a security point of view (its not Iraq!!) and from a road safety point of view I would much rather to drive myself than trust a sub continent guy being paid peanuts.
Live in maids are normal in this part of the world. Wages for a maid are generally £150-200 per month. I understand setup costs are cheap, with the labour card and visa only costing around £150. (The set up cost may be outdated).
Classes are generally confined to schools, with the British school in Muscat offering the nest in range.
Depends where you are in Oman, but Muscat is ok for stroller walking only Nov Dec in the day, and Nov-Mar at night.

I would say that the weather in Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb and sometimes well into March is fine for stroller walking... the weather at these times is variable, and avoid the mid day sun, but from 3pm onwards no problems... - Most people take a stroll with the kids in the hotter months once the sun goes down... all shops etc are a/c'd - the heat will not be a MAJOR problem for little kiddies... in fact all little kids I knew there thrived in the weather (avoiding the summer months of Jun Jul Aug when many people go 'home' for summer to get a break from the heat)
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bearfus
I would say that the weather in Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb and sometimes well into March is fine for stroller walking... the weather at these times is variable, and avoid the mid day sun, but from 3pm onwards no problems... - Most people take a stroll with the kids in the hotter months once the sun goes down... all shops etc are a/c'd - the heat will not be a MAJOR problem for little kiddies... in fact all little kids I knew there thrived in the weather (avoiding the summer months of Jun Jul Aug when many people go 'home' for summer to get a break from the heat)
Thanks, that sounds good. Where do the children play during the day for the rest of the year? Inside? Or do they shade parts of the gardens?

I have some more question someone might be able to answer:
*Is it easy to buy nice children's clothes at reasonable price?
*And western clothes for adults?
*Do women have to get a separate work visa if they want to work or they automatically get it if their husband works there?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

ablanche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mzperx
Hi everybody, it seems that we might be moving to Oman with kids, too. (Not finalised yet.) I would have a few practical questions:

*Is it safe for expats to drive in Oman or most of them have a driver?
*Is it normal to have a live-in maid? - What is the initial cost(sponsoring, etc) and what is their wage?
*Is it easy to find classes for kids, like ballett, music, etc?
*Does the weather allow walking around pushing a stroller during the day or it's too hot?

Thanks for your help.
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the answers - only just managed to get to read them! MZperx - great to hear you might be coming out too. How old are your kids? I spoke to the British School and they seem to have huge waiting lists for the classes my kids would go to so I'm having to look elsewhere.

I have another question for you all. We might have to pay to ship our stuff out to Muscat ourselves. How easy is it to buy stuff out there? Can we buy furniture etc second hand? What about kids toys, cots etc - how difficult would it be to completely set up home from scratch - and would it cost more than shipping stuff across? (I guess it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question but any advice would be great.

Also, anyone had any experience of putting kids younger than school age into nurseries? Any good ones?

Housing seems to be really expensive from the sites I've found. Will OMR800 be enough to get somewhere big enough for 3 kids and not too far from schools?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:52 pm
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Originally Posted by ablanche
Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me some advice. My husband has just been offered a job in Muscat and we're trying to make a decision as to whether to move there. We have 3 children (5,3 and 1). I am looking for any advice on living in Muscat, whether it's a good place to bring up kids, which schools would be best, where are the best areas to live, and generally any advice you can give me! Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi

Sorry that I have not logged in earlier, but I have just returned from being away for a month. We have happily lived in Muscat for almost a year and love it. There are a lot of expats with young families so making friends will be no problem at all for you. There are a few schools to chose from but depending on which curriculum you wish to follow then I would suggest either the American British Academy or the British school, both schools have a great social and plenty of children from around the world, all speak English. Language is no problem as most people speak English and the locals try to practice their English also. The area is safe and clean from crime and waste and very relaxed and layed back. If you have not lived in the Middle East before then you do have to get use to the heat and the lack of parks and green, but in saying that it is a very outdoor kind of life with swimming and camping. Winter is the best part of the year in Oman, from Nov - March it is lovely and plenty to do. Summer can get a little tooooooooooooo hot, avoid it by having holidays back with family and friends if you can.
There are a lot of new companies opened up in Oman in recent years bringing with them a lot of young European families all enjoying their experience of being here. Good Luck with your decision if you need any further help just email. Best of Luck
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Awineor2
Hi

Sorry that I have not logged in earlier, but I have just returned from being away for a month. We have happily lived in Muscat for almost a year and love it. There are a lot of expats with young families so making friends will be no problem at all for you. There are a few schools to chose from but depending on which curriculum you wish to follow then I would suggest either the American British Academy or the British school, both schools have a great social and plenty of children from around the world, all speak English. Language is no problem as most people speak English and the locals try to practice their English also. The area is safe and clean from crime and waste and very relaxed and layed back. If you have not lived in the Middle East before then you do have to get use to the heat and the lack of parks and green, but in saying that it is a very outdoor kind of life with swimming and camping. Winter is the best part of the year in Oman, from Nov - March it is lovely and plenty to do. Summer can get a little tooooooooooooo hot, avoid it by having holidays back with family and friends if you can.
There are a lot of new companies opened up in Oman in recent years bringing with them a lot of young European families all enjoying their experience of being here. Good Luck with your decision if you need any further help just email. Best of Luck
Thank you for your reply!! I hope to get the kids into the British School but they have a huge waiting list - ABA have also told us there's no way they'll get in there... yikes... Sounds like a wonderful place though and if all works out with the negotiations then really hope to come out in the next few months!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the answers - only just managed to get to read them! MZperx - great to hear you might be coming out too. How old are your kids? I spoke to the British School and they seem to have huge waiting lists for the classes my kids would go to so I'm having to look elsewhere.

I have another question for you all. We might have to pay to ship our stuff out to Muscat ourselves. How easy is it to buy stuff out there? Can we buy furniture etc second hand? What about kids toys, cots etc - how difficult would it be to completely set up home from scratch - and would it cost more than shipping stuff across? (I guess it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question but any advice would be great.

Also, anyone had any experience of putting kids younger than school age into nurseries? Any good ones?

Housing seems to be really expensive from the sites I've found. Will OMR800 be enough to get somewhere big enough for 3 kids and not too far from schools?

Thanks!
Hi Ablanche,

That's very bad news about the British School. We also have three kids. The two older ones are the same age as yours and the youngest one is 4 and half months now. Did they say how long would it take to get in? We were just going to send away the application forms tonight:-( And I thought that we were rushing things.

We are going to ship all our things there. We don't have them at our current location and I was missing a few things. I don't know Oman prices but by my experience it is more expensive to set up a household than to ship it.

Which site do you use to look for accomodation?

When will you go? We will be there beginning of August if we go.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:52 am
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your reply!! I hope to get the kids into the British School but they have a huge waiting list - ABA have also told us there's no way they'll get in there... yikes... Sounds like a wonderful place though and if all works out with the negotiations then really hope to come out in the next few months!
Hi again,

Do not let the school waiting lists put you off. Last year we almost said 'no' to the position in Oman due soley to the fact that we were told that we would not be able to get the children into school - biggest headache that we faced. I was begging and pleading with both of the schools that you mentioned, phoning and emailing on a regular basis to no prevail. Just before we arrived here I was told that one child could be placed in one school and my other child could be placed in the other - not an idea situation at the best of times but as this was the only choice that we got, I took it. We arrived during the summer 2007 and Ikept the children's names on both wait lists (just in case). A week before the beginning of term both children were accepted by both schools!!! Apparently people change their minds and people move in and out at the very last minute, so right up until the 11th hour things can change quite drastically. Panic over - I had the choice of which school to send both to? During the first few weeks of term everyone that I know were in the same position and I believe that this happens frequently. My advice, if you get the job and really want it, then just go for it and take the chances of the outcome with schooling, every child in Muscat is in school. Again good luck.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Awineor2
Hi again,

Do not let the school waiting lists put you off. Last year we almost said 'no' to the position in Oman due soley to the fact that we were told that we would not be able to get the children into school - biggest headache that we faced. I was begging and pleading with both of the schools that you mentioned, phoning and emailing on a regular basis to no prevail. Just before we arrived here I was told that one child could be placed in one school and my other child could be placed in the other - not an idea situation at the best of times but as this was the only choice that we got, I took it. We arrived during the summer 2007 and Ikept the children's names on both wait lists (just in case). A week before the beginning of term both children were accepted by both schools!!! Apparently people change their minds and people move in and out at the very last minute, so right up until the 11th hour things can change quite drastically. Panic over - I had the choice of which school to send both to? During the first few weeks of term everyone that I know were in the same position and I believe that this happens frequently. My advice, if you get the job and really want it, then just go for it and take the chances of the outcome with schooling, every child in Muscat is in school. Again good luck.
Hi Awineor2 - thanks for posting!!!! You have taken away a few worry lines from my forehead... I must say we were considering not moving because of schools but this sounds really positive. I know it's unlikely to happen to us but at least there's a chance they could get in the next term if not the first.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ablanche,

That's very bad news about the British School. We also have three kids. The two older ones are the same age as yours and the youngest one is 4 and half months now. Did they say how long would it take to get in? We were just going to send away the application forms tonight:-( And I thought that we were rushing things.

We are going to ship all our things there. We don't have them at our current location and I was missing a few things. I don't know Oman prices but by my experience it is more expensive to set up a household than to ship it.

Which site do you use to look for accomodation?

When will you go? We will be there beginning of August if we go.
Hi Mzperx - we will probably arriving around the same time as you - we should definitely try and keep in touch - especially as our kids are the same age. Our youngest is a bit older, 10 months.

What will you be doing out there?

We're still trying to negotiate the shipping. Sadly it might stop us from coming out at all... :-(
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:53 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

We're still trying to negotiate the shipping. Sadly it might stop us from coming out at all... :-(
You should really try not to let the shipping put you off your move to Oman. It may seem like a big cost to begin with but you wont regret it.
What are you shipping?
There is a good network of leaving sales, second hand stuff, inexpensive appliances etc in Muscat and you can quite easily not worry about shipping a lot of the 'big stuff' like white goods, electrical items and furniture.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
You should really try not to let the shipping put you off your move to Oman. It may seem like a big cost to begin with but you wont regret it.
What are you shipping?
There is a good network of leaving sales, second hand stuff, inexpensive appliances etc in Muscat and you can quite easily not worry about shipping a lot of the 'big stuff' like white goods, electrical items and furniture.
Oh, this sounds really good. I was just thinking that although we are shipping our stuff to Oman we don't have that much as we sold all the 'big stuff' before we moved here where we are now as most places come furnished here.

Would you mind to answer a few of my questions? Or anybody who know the answer:

Is it possible to find places fully furnished and with white wear? Would that cost much more than unfurnished?

Is it possible to bring products into the country that are made of pork? Is it possible to buy pork there? I know it's not the most important thing but there are a few dishes between the favourites of my family that are made of pork.

Are there things we should bring with us because we could not buy it there?

Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Hi Mzperx - we will probably arriving around the same time as you - we should definitely try and keep in touch - especially as our kids are the same age. Our youngest is a bit older, 10 months.

What will you be doing out there?

I hope you will come. (And that we will go:-) It sounds so good that your kids are the same age as ours.

What will I be doing there? I guess the same as here, look after my kids, meet other women and organise playgroups. I won't work yet. Maybe later. What will you be doing?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:52 am
Remember

Oh, this sounds really good. I was just thinking that although we are shipping our stuff to Oman we don't have that much as we sold all the 'big stuff' before we moved here where we are now as most places come furnished here.

Would you mind to answer a few of my questions? Or anybody who know the answer:

Is it possible to find places fully furnished and with white wear? Would that cost much more than unfurnished?

Is it possible to bring products into the country that are made of pork? Is it possible to buy pork there? I know it's not the most important thing but there are a few dishes between the favourites of my family that are made of pork.

Are there things we should bring with us because we could not buy it there?

Thanks.
It is many years since I lived there though still have family there after 20 odd years!
A lot of places come with white goods but it varies widely. Some places come furnished but it is often a hodge-podge of stuff.
Don't bring pork products in would be my advice as it is available there in certain supermarkets but it is pricey.
Some of the posters who live there will be able to give you a much clearer idea.