Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

ablanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me some advice. My husband has just been offered a job in Muscat and we're trying to make a decision as to whether to move there. We have 3 children (5,3 and 1). I am looking for any advice on living in Muscat, whether it's a good place to bring up kids, which schools would be best, where are the best areas to live, and generally any advice you can give me! Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oman with young family - advice please!

Have heard good things about British School Muscat, a long established school there.
The area east of Muscat, towards the British Embassy and near the Grand Hyatt is quite idyllic, with fantastic stretches of beach. When the tide goes out, it leaves a stretch of sand 200metres wide, where children play football and other games.

The expat community in Muscat is small and the town is still quite a sleepy one, a complete contrast to Dubai.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

ablanche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by admon
Have heard good things about British School Muscat, a long established school there.
The area east of Muscat, towards the British Embassy and near the Grand Hyatt is quite idyllic, with fantastic stretches of beach. When the tide goes out, it leaves a stretch of sand 200metres wide, where children play football and other games.

The expat community in Muscat is small and the town is still quite a sleepy one, a complete contrast to Dubai.
Wow, sounds wonderful! Do you know what the area is called? Thank you for answering!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ablanche
Wow, sounds wonderful! Do you know what the area is called? Thank you for answering!
there are a couple of posters on here from muscat, but they aren't around that often. Do a search on here, i'm sure there will be some useful info...

and muscat is lovely, btw...

MM, xx
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ablanche
It is an area called Shati Al-Qurom district, if that is any help.
Same side of Muscat as the airport, about a 15 minute drive (at Dubai speed, probably 20-25mins at Omani speed).

It is a great place, probably reminiscent of what life was like in Dubai 20 years ago.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Muscat is really nice. Supposed to be a great place to bring up a family.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:22 am
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice

Oh look here is one of them lurkers from Muscat back on the bored's.

Yes the area is Shatti Al Qu'rm, but it is one of the most expensive places to live.

As i said in my PM to you, the British School is the best, but there is also the American British Academy and the Royal Flight.

It is great to bring up a family and the locals love children, and if any of yours are girls with blonde hair, be prepared for them to be constantly looked and smiled at and on occasions have their heads rubbed by passing by women and girls.

Any other specific info just drop me a PM
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

bearfus is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have no hesitation - its a REALLY great place to have young kids, I was there without kids for a number of years, but lots of friends had kids, they just loved it... camping, swimming, hiking, clean, great schools, great people... in fact if anyone wants my right arm in exchange for a job there .....
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm a complete newbie to Muscat, but I can tell you my first impressions. I've come over here on my own & I can't quite believe I'm here, and how wonderfully helpful & friendly the people are (not just the locals). They seem to want to go out of their way to help you. I have seen a lot of young children here, & I just feel safe. The beaches are beautiful and as said here, it all looks so clean.

I can't comment on schools, but so far I'm very glad I decided to come out here, albeit alone.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

LJ - I was there as a single person for about 6-7 years... Time of my life.... it was some time ago, but I still have the greatest of friends there...
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you That's really good to know & I hope to be able to say the same in a few years.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:07 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearfus
LJ - I was there as a single person for about 6-7 years... Time of my life.... it was some time ago, but I still have the greatest of friends there...
When were you there and where did you go to play?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

89 - 97 - SAF Club (long closed now), sometimes PDO, Muscat Divers, GT88, lots of jebel bashing - it was A LOT quieter in those days, with regard to Night Clubs etc.... Pavo Real and Intercon Pub was about as 'withit' as it got in them days !
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:46 am
Just Joined

mzperx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody, it seems that we might be moving to Oman with kids, too. (Not finalised yet.) I would have a few practical questions:

*Is it safe for expats to drive in Oman or most of them have a driver?
*Is it normal to have a live-in maid? - What is the initial cost(sponsoring, etc) and what is their wage?
*Is it easy to find classes for kids, like ballett, music, etc?
*Does the weather allow walking around pushing a stroller during the day or it's too hot?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by mzperx; Apr 15th 2008 at 5:06 am.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mzperx
Hi everybody, it seems that we might move to Oman with kids, too. (Not finalised yet.) I would have a few practical questions:

*Is it safe for expats to drive in Oman or most of them have a driver?
*Is it normal to have a live-in maid? - What is the initial cost(sponsoring, etc) and what is their wage?
*Is it easy to find classes for kids, like ballett, music, etc?
*Does the weather allow walking around pushing a stroller during the day or it's too hot?

Sorry, it might sound silly but I've never been to the ME yet. Thanks for your help.
Driving in Oman is completely safe from a security point of view (its not Iraq!!) and from a road safety point of view I would much rather to drive myself than trust a sub continent guy being paid peanuts.
Live in maids are normal in this part of the world. Wages for a maid are generally £150-200 per month. I understand setup costs are cheap, with the labour card and visa only costing around £150. (The set up cost may be outdated).
Classes are generally confined to schools, with the British school in Muscat offering the nest in range.
Depends where you are in Oman, but Muscat is ok for stroller walking only Nov Dec in the day, and Nov-Mar at night.

Last edited by admon; Apr 15th 2008 at 5:22 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.