British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Muscat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-muscat-632777/)

Hull Lad Sep 27th 2009 8:24 am

Moving to Muscat

Hey y'all,

Not checked in here for a while but once again on the hunt for info.

Our time in Dubai is nearly up as my wife has been asked to work from the Muscat, Oman office.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest decent websites to familiarise myself with the place. I've found Dubizzle here in Dubai a great source of info. Is there anything like that over there?

Best Regards

Craig

Madam Medusa Sep 27th 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Moving to Muscat

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 7968471)
Hey y'all,

Our time in Dubai is nearly up as my wife has been asked to work from the Muscat, Oman office.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest decent websites to familiarise myself with the place. I've found Dubizzle here in Dubai a great source of info. Is there anything like that over there?

Best Regards

Craig

helllloooo...!!! wow, sounds great...can't help on the websites, might be worth trying ew...?

hope all well, how's the gorgeous small man in your life...?

MM, xx

Hull Lad Sep 28th 2009 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7969468)
helllloooo...!!! wow, sounds great...can't help on the websites, might be worth trying ew...?

hope all well, how's the gorgeous small man in your life...?

MM, xx

Easy! By 'gorgeous small man in my life' MM is reffering to my new baby son! Phew - comments like that can get you beaten up in Hull! lol

He's great thanks, always smiling and just loves talking to people - gets very upset if he doesn't get enough eye to eye contact. 16 weeks old now! jeez!

Hop you're well Catrin! I'll pop in at FR before we move.

Cx

Madam Medusa Sep 28th 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 7970293)
Easy! By 'gorgeous small man in my life' MM is reffering to my new baby son! Phew - comments like that can get you beaten up in Hull! lol

He's great thanks, always smiling and just loves talking to people - gets very upset if he doesn't get enough eye to eye contact. 16 weeks old now! jeez!

Hop you're well Catrin! I'll pop in at FR before we move.

Cx

lol...yeah, we were just talking about you today, everyone will miss you...

MM, xx

Just Browsing Sep 28th 2009 12:25 pm

Hey Hull Lad,

Try omandforum.com

Its ok but you will find the level of conversation not exactly "mature" shall we say, mainly as its full of the local kids unlike BE which is full of mature grown up expats! LOL........

Blue Cat Sep 28th 2009 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Just Browsing (Post 7971371)
Hey Hull Lad,

Try omandforum.com

Its ok but you will find the level of conversation not exactly "mature" shall we say, mainly as its full of the local kids unlike BE which is full of mature grown up expats! LOL........

some would disagree!

OriginalSunshine Oct 2nd 2009 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 7968471)
Hey y'all,

Best Regards

Craig

ask away - whaddaya wanna know?

alternatively, get your arse over here and drive around. it's only 5 hours drive from Dubai, after all (saying that I rarely visit Dubai cos Oman has everything that I need except a scuba-diving equipment servicing store and occasionally we treat our kids to a visit to the aquariums). stay at whatever hotel you can afford for a few days to get a feel of the place.

Hull Lad Oct 3rd 2009 3:45 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 7984219)
ask away - whaddaya wanna know?

alternatively, get your arse over here and drive around. it's only 5 hours drive from Dubai, after all (saying that I rarely visit Dubai cos Oman has everything that I need except a scuba-diving equipment servicing store and occasionally we treat our kids to a visit to the aquariums). stay at whatever hotel you can afford for a few days to get a feel of the place.

Hey OriginalSunshine currently living it up in the Shangril-La for another 4 days (wow, the place is amazing!) wifes at work today and I have the kids (which at 17 weeks and 3 years old could pan out to be nothing short of a nightmare - the baby's asleep at the moment so a 10 min rest bite!). Just wondering if there's a typical area of Muscat that the expats tend to reside? You know like the Springs or Marina in Dubai. We need to start checking out accommodation.

Also, would love to show our toddler the Turtles before we head back - any idea the best beach to see them on and what sort of time?

Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

Craig

davidhendry Oct 3rd 2009 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 7985312)
Hey OriginalSunshine currently living it up in the Shangril-La for another 4 days (wow, the place is amazing!) wifes at work today and I have the kids (which at 17 weeks and 3 years old could pan out to be nothing short of a nightmare - the baby's asleep at the moment so a 10 min rest bite!). Just wondering if there's a typical area of Muscat that the expats tend to reside? You know like the Springs or Marina in Dubai. We need to start checking out accommodation.

Also, would love to show our toddler the Turtles before we head back - any idea the best beach to see them on and what sort of time?

Craig

Craig,
Best place for turtles in Oman, is Masirah. I know its not just a five minute jaunt, but keep it in mind for the future.
Regards.

OriginalSunshine Oct 3rd 2009 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 7985312)

Craig

lmao - you couldnt be better placed for that. Shangri-La beach is best beach for turtles!!! Just ask them....

There should be a playgroup at the Al Waha for the 3 year old. 17 weeks has gotta stay with Mum or Dad though.

Best area for expats in your situation would be MSQ/MQ. Have you got a car for a drive around? To be honest, it's nothing special, just where the other expats congregate and where the BSM (British School of Muscat) is and lots of other nurseries, so plenty of shops, cafes, playgroups (BusyBees), Costas etc.

Housing is a mixed bag - new normally means small outside area, large inside area, poor construction. old normally means large outside area, small inside area, old construction. we got our house in a compound via work so I cant help too much. however compounds here range hugely. terraced compounds work on a courtyard basis but dont have separate maids quarters so you lose a bedroom. Some compounds just have gated entry a small patch of communal grass and the houses & paved areas. Some compounds are a mixture or might have a little pool (but for some reason always 1.5m deep!!! nightmare!!!). Some houses are just individual villas or semis. Parking is a bit of an issue. There never seems to be enough.

Go to the Intercon to sign up on the waiting list for the gym membership if your wife's workplace doesnt have any membership to clubs.

Also schooling, imho, BSM is better than ABA for primary schools & timing. BSM is 7:30am until 12:30pm. ABA is 7am until 10am OR 11am until 1pm. pants.

Both take kids from the year that they turn 4. Your eldest would probably go to the nursery class, but weird as it sounds, sign your baby up as well for 2012? entry. I signed my 6 month old up for 2010 entry before I even knew I had a job in Muscat, and by heck am I glad I did that as there are already waiting lists!!!!

Keep asking - I'll help where & when I can - but also have fulltime job and two toddler boys.....

Desert Dweller Oct 6th 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 7986522)
lmao - you couldnt be better placed for that. Shangri-La beach is best beach for turtles!!! Just ask them....

It was before they dynamited the beaches and jebels to make way for the monstrosity that is Barr Al Jissah Resort! Ras Al Hadd is the best place for turtle watching as they lay their eggs but in the water you are surrounded by them around Bar Al Hickman and Msirah.

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 7986522)
Both take kids from the year that they turn 4. Your eldest would probably go to the nursery class, but weird as it sounds, sign your baby up as well for 2012? entry. I signed my 6 month old up for 2010 entry before I even knew I had a job in Muscat, and by heck am I glad I did that as there are already waiting lists!!!!

Keep asking - I'll help where & when I can - but also have fulltime job and two toddler boys.....

BSM takes them from their 3rd birthday onwards and yes, register them now at all the schools and get them on the waiting list. You don't pay anything until a couple of months before they are due to start so does no harm.

OriginalSunshine Oct 6th 2009 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller (Post 7993168)
It was before they dynamited the beaches and jebels to make way for the monstrosity that is Barr Al Jissah Resort! Ras Al Hadd is the best place for turtle watching as they lay their eggs but in the water you are surrounded by them around Bar Al Hickman and Msirah.

BSM takes them from their 3rd birthday onwards and yes, register them now at all the schools and get them on the waiting list. You don't pay anything until a couple of months before they are due to start so does no harm.

No - BSM take the kids from the year that they turn 4. My son is 3 but he will turn 4 in the Sep09-June10 school year.

We paid this year's school fees in September with a deposit of 100 OMR back in May.

Somehow I dont think a 3 year old and 17 week year old are going to be swimming with the turtles quite yet, so the hotel where he is staying at probably is the best place to see turtles at this point in time..... but then again, whaddoIknow? :D

Desert Dweller Oct 12th 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 7994170)
No - BSM take the kids from the year that they turn 4. My son is 3 but he will turn 4 in the Sep09-June10 school year.

We paid this year's school fees in September with a deposit of 100 OMR back in May.

Somehow I dont think a 3 year old and 17 week year old are going to be swimming with the turtles quite yet, so the hotel where he is staying at probably is the best place to see turtles at this point in time..... but then again, whaddoIknow? :D

I had better withdraw my 3 year old then!

OriginalSunshine Oct 12th 2009 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller (Post 8009939)
I had better withdraw my 3 year old then!

I think we are arguing the same point!

When does your 3 year old have their birthday where they turn 4 years old?

baggiesmom Nov 6th 2009 3:26 am

Hi all, moved to Al Ain from worcestershire UK in Feb 09. It's now 98% sure we will be moving to Muscat after Christmas. Husband will be relocated to start on a new job 1.5 hours south of Muscat. Have contacted the schools....BSM have waiting lists for both kids, Owen is in year 6 and Holly is in year 4, but there is a place for him at the Royal Flying School ? Might have to home school holly until she gets a place....but haven't got the first clue about that ! If anyone can tell me about the Royal Flying school that would be great.......Also, we are hopefully going to visit during Eid, to look at accommodation etc. We currently have a 6 bed villa, huge garden etc in a peaceful area of Al Ain. Would love a smaller property 3/4 bed and have seen limited info on the Wave ? Views would be great, and would like to be near the beach if at all possible x Again any info would be gratefully received !:thumbup: We have family membership at the intercon here, but I see that there is a waiting list for membership ? Would the intercon be the best place to join ? If so, I guess I should get our names on the list now. Thanks !