Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

moving to Mirdif and thoughts on Dubai!

moving to Mirdif and thoughts on Dubai!

Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Question moving to Mirdif and thoughts on Dubai!

Good morning everyone

Im here is very sunny Dubai, with a burnt nose i might add. This place is really something mind - ive never experienced driving like it. I have not really seen much of the buildings because i have had my eyes closed everytime i have been in a car - i now fully understand why people buy 4x4's!

to all the newbies get yourself one of those Dubai Explorer books they are the bible!!!

My hubby has had his offer but to make his life easier for travelling to work we need to live in Mirdif. I think there is another geordie who lives there at the mo?

I just want to know how long it takes to get from Mirdif back in to the centre/city (not sure what term to use!), im staying at the gardens at the mo and i know it takes us about 35-40 minutes to get to the towers, is it about that coming from the other direction?

Help aways apprieciated!

Thanks

Soon to be fellow resident aka Mrs Haps x

p.s that ski place looks amazing - not a keen skier myself but wow!

Last edited by MrsHaps; Apr 11th 2008 at 6:11 am.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Mirdif and thoughts on Dubai!

Good morning Mrs H and welcome to Dubai and the madness that comes with it!! Spugsy has just rented in Mirdif and MH is over there too. Nice area, I would move that way if husband didn't work near Jebel Ali. Where exactly is your husbands office?

Driving - you get used to it
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

he is working in some port beginning with a H past Sharj. We are just young with no kiddies so didnt really want to be in Sharj where it is dry and obviously more strict then Dubai etc, im sure it is lovely but i didnt fancy it.

Driving - i can never imagine getting use to it, it is utter madness!!! The taxi driver last night was racing against a lexus for christ sake, i had my eyes shut, holding on to my hubby and the couple we were staying with had to ask him to slow down - his reply 'ah shit'!!!! When i looked at his speedo it was just over 160, didnt look anymore after that, just prayed!!!!!

ive never been so glad to get out of a car in my life!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hamriya Port!! not sure how long it would take to get from Mirdif to there, my Dad has a business in Um Al Quain port. Sharjah aint that bad though, but Mirdif is a good alternative
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

yep that sounds about right, he was told about 30-45 minutes drive, the lads at the port have given him info and said they would let him know the best roads to take!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

The key to happy Mirdiff living is the flight path, as the planes landing at dxb airport run right over the area. When you go to look at property, before saying yes, go back in your car between 6-9pm and just sit outside the property with your windows down.
If you can handle the noise from the incoming planes, cool. If not, then you need to be looking further away from the flight path.

By the way, whenever you get a suicidal taxi driver, first thing I just say to him is HEY! SLOW DOWN, in a harsh voice. That normally does the trick. If they are still determined to kill themselves, tell them if they do not slow down you will report them - and make sure you do it if he still insists on driving like a maniac.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Brandonian is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: moving to Mirdif and thoughts on Dubai!

MrsHaps;6191716]Good morning everyone

Im here is very sunny Dubai, with a burnt nose i might add. This place is really something mind - ive never experienced driving like it. I have not really seen much of the buildings because i have had my eyes closed everytime i have been in a car - i now fully understand why people buy 4x4's!

to all the newbies get yourself one of those Dubai Explorer books they are the bible!!!

My hubby has had his offer but to make his life easier for travelling to work we need to live in Mirdif. I think there is another geordie who lives there at the mo?

I just want to know how long it takes to get from Mirdif back in to the centre/city (not sure what term to use!), im staying at the gardens at the mo and i know it takes us about 35-40 minutes to get to the towers, is it about that coming from the other direction?

Help aways apprieciated!

Thanks

Soon to be fellow resident aka Mrs Haps x

p.s that ski place looks amazing - not a keen skier myself but wow

Hiya MrsHap,

I'm a Geordie and live in Mirdif, been here for 1yr,
It's a nice place and getting better all the time, got a new Mall being built, new park area, only downer is (depending on where you live in Mirdif ) aircraft noise although you get used to it after a short while.
It can take anywhere between 25mins to 45mins to get to Mall of the Emirates/ Jumiera.
My nephew tried the skiing, said it was brilliant.

Good luck with the search for a place to live and hope you enjoy Mirdif.

Hiya to you also GA
Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:23 am
Concierge

Hello
Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: moving to Mirdif and thoughts on Dubai!

Hiya,

Jenny sends her regards
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Brandonian
Hiya,

Jenny sends her regards

I was thinking of you and give Jenny my regards too!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Got a bit bored with the maid,lost dog type threads so I thought I'd join this site,
Might even join your 'posse' LoL

Sorry MrsHap for hijacking your post, let me know when you move to Mirdif
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:28 am
Concierge

Got a bit bored with the maid,lost dog type threads so I thought I'd join this site,
Might even join your 'posse' LoL

Sorry MrsHap for hijacking your post, let me know when you move to Mirdif

very wise move!! you will have a good laugh on here
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Still trying to find my way around the site, computers are definitely not my best friends!!! I might be giving you shout for help very soon.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:40 am
Concierge

Still trying to find my way around the site, computers are definitely not my best friends!!! I might be giving you shout for help very soon.
takes a couple of days and then you will be fine
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Hooray I managed to get myself an avatar
I'm learning!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.