British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to the Middle East straight after University (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-middle-east-straight-after-university-925754/)

AlvinN Jun 14th 2019 9:16 am

Moving to the Middle East straight after University

Currenty in the second year of University due graduate in 2020 with a BSc in Mathematics God willing. After completion I would like to move to the Middle East, particularly either the UAE or Saudi Arabia. From what I've seen most of the jobs offered for expats require years of experience in their respective industry, So the question is; is it realistic in hoping to find work straight after University with no experience? Which industries should one look into that are decently paid and will accept entry-level expats? I am still unsure what to do after graduation and the responses received here may help me narrow down the options before I do further investigation.

carcajou Jun 14th 2019 12:53 pm

Re: Moving to the Middle East straight after University

Does it have to be the Gulf?

If you are willing to broaden your field to the Levant or North Africa, your odds increase. You could probably find something teaching English there and use that as a beachhead to build your network.

Pay will be very low but so will living expenses, and if your parents are willing to help out a little that can go a long way too.

Previous successful Middle Eastern experience is worth its weight in gold when looking for a job there, even if it is not in your field it will show that you are familiar with the region and can make the adjustments.

scot47 Jun 14th 2019 1:19 pm

Teaching jobs -in Maths or English - usually require 2 years experience. In 40+ years experience including 20 in the region I never heard of anyone recruited to teach straight after uni with no Teaching Cert and no teaching experience.

There are jobs in the region for people who can teach Maths through the medium of English.

gottheTshirt Jun 14th 2019 8:31 pm

Why do you want to move to the ME? the only reason to go to KSA is to earn money. Without experience you will not get accepted for a visa. There are millions of graduates in Asia desperate for jobs in the ME - all of whom will work for less than you will need to earn.
In the past I have had VSO graduates foisted on me in developing countries it used to be a good opportunity to get overseas experience onto your CV - I don't know if it still is. Fields in development where there are shortages include engineering/agricultural economist, hydraulic modellers etc. The route into these fields, for mathematic graduates, used to be to get a post graduate qualification and then get recruited by a UK consulting engineering firm.

carcajou Jun 15th 2019 2:06 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12698073)
Teaching jobs -in Maths or English - usually require 2 years experience. In 40+ years experience including 20 in the region I never heard of anyone recruited to teach straight after uni with no Teaching Cert and no teaching experience.

There are jobs in the region for people who can teach Maths through the medium of English.

​​​​​

I do know of some who have gone the ESL route with no experience in the region - but not in the Gulf, and not for institutions that used headhunters to recruit - which is why I brought up North Africa/Levant. OP will not make anywhere near a UK-standard salary doing that in those countries, and it is still not easy or a road commonly traveled, but it is a foot in the door. If UAE/KSA is where OP wants to end up, he/she will need to look at TEFL certificates etc and perhaps gain experience elsewhere first like in Southeast Asia.

OP is highly, highly unlikely to get a formal maths position in an international school without a formal teaching qualification (not TEFL etc).

scot47 Jun 15th 2019 8:03 am

VSO now ask for experience - years of it. The same is true of the other organisations in The British Volunteer Programme. The OP should seek advice from the Careers Office at his uni.

AlvinN Jun 15th 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12698055)
Does it have to be the Gulf?

If you are willing to broaden your field to the Levant or North Africa, your odds increase. You could probably find something teaching English there and use that as a beachhead to build your network.

Pay will be very low but so will living expenses, and if your parents are willing to help out a little that can go a long way too.

Previous successful Middle Eastern experience is worth its weight in gold when looking for a job there, even if it is not in your field it will show that you are familiar with the region and can make the adjustments.

Teaching is something I've looked into and after strongly considering it, I've realised its not something I'm suited to nor can see myself doing as a career.
Regarding your second point I have family living in the UAE so would be willing to work at low wages for the sake of experience as I set my feet in the region. Thank you for commenting.

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 12698281)
Why do you want to move to the ME? the only reason to go to KSA is to earn money. Without experience you will not get accepted for a visa. There are millions of graduates in Asia desperate for jobs in the ME - all of whom will work for less than you will need to earn.
In the past I have had VSO graduates foisted on me in developing countries it used to be a good opportunity to get overseas experience onto your CV - I don't know if it still is. Fields in development where there are shortages include engineering/agricultural economist, hydraulic modellers etc. The route into these fields, for mathematic graduates, used to be to get a post graduate qualification and then get recruited by a UK consulting engineering firm.

A comfortable salary would be the long-term goal, however there are other reasons I want to move and money is far from the top of the list. I appreciate you listing the fields where there are shortage, will be looking closely into it.

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12698419)
VSO now ask for experience - years of it. The same is true of the other organisations in The British Volunteer Programme. The OP should seek advice from the Careers Office at his uni.

It seems that moving straight after graduation as suspected, is unrealistic and as @gottheTshirt blatantly put it, a degree is not sufficient to differentiate myself, experience is vital. Will be consulting with the careers & placement department at my University to discuss any further options available. I appreciate your input.