Reload this Page >

Moving to Jeddah Al Aoum Village

Moving to Jeddah Al Aoum Village

Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Michaelschade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Jeddah Al Aoum Village

Hi,

moving to Jeddah next month for a 2 years contract. My employer is putting me up at the Al Aoum Village; anybody knows if its a nice place to live?

Thanks

Michael
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Jeddah Al Aoum Village

hi Michael, and welcome. I am of no use at all, I have never been to Saudi.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

saafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nicesaafar is just really nice

Originally Posted by Michaelschade
Hi,

moving to Jeddah next month for a 2 years contract. My employer is putting me up at the Al Aoum Village; anybody knows if its a nice place to live?

Thanks

Michael
i'm still in hotels

can u PM hows the place like? coz im bringing the family here by end of year.

Anyway this is what i got from the net

Al Aoun Village (J4) prides itself on offering the ultimate living comfort at its location just off Sitteen Street, near the satellite roundabout. Thirty-four large three bedroom concrete villas, seven of which are detached, are set around a central swimming pool, landscaped gardens and a tennis and basketball court.
The villas are elegantly furnished with an open plan downstairs area comprising lounge, dining area, fully-equipped kitchen with breakfast room. In the small garden there is a red brick barbecue. Upstairs, the master bedroom has an ensuite bathroom and a shaded terrace - ideal for morning coffee! The other two bedrooms share a bathroom and there is a spacious roof area.
The compound also offers 17 three bedroom and ten one bedroom prefab units, furnished to the same high standards. There is a large central recreation centre with function hall, well-equipped gym, sauna and large screen video TV. Contact: Jerry Aguilar Tel 691 0016.

Please please tell me hows the place when you get here...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:16 am
Just Joined

woody007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, Jeddah is a dump...
Secondly there are only a few compounds worth living on, Arabian Homes - Sierra compound , Al Basateen Compound, and a couple of small independants. I would suggest that you arrange to stay in a hotel on your arrival and decide yourself where you want to stay, as there is a great chance that your employer will arrange something totally unacceptable to your requirements. Who are you working for out there, i was out there for 4 years, make sure you get plenty of tickets to leave on a regular basis.......
Good luck
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Michaelschade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woody007
Secondly there are only a few compounds worth living on, Arabian Homes - Sierra compound , Al Basateen Compound, and a couple of small independants. I would suggest that you arrange to stay in a hotel on your arrival and decide yourself where you want to stay, as there is a great chance that your employer will arrange something totally unacceptable to your requirements. Who are you working for out there, i was out there for 4 years, make sure you get plenty of tickets to leave on a regular basis.......
Good luck
well...I worked in Jeddah before; so I know what to expect. So you have not heard about the Al Aoum Village?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:40 am
Just Joined

woody007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent heard of Al Oum Village, but if you have been in Jeddah previously you will know that Siteen street is not the best location. Choice of villas depends on personal choice, i lived on both large and small compounds, my personal favourite being the smaller compound as large compounds can be like living on a military base....
Do you have kids??? How much do you allowance do you have for a villa???
Cheers.

Woody
Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Expa_4_Life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woody007
Good luck
I don't know about Al Aoum - but as suggested - get there - stay in a hotel and see for yourself. If you are taking your family then Sharbatly used to be a good bet.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

adailami is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

I will also be moving to Jeddah by mid August and I will be entitled a one month hotel stay. What apartments and compounds do you suggest?

I'll be working for Unilever in Nahdha Dist after moving from the Bahrain branch.

I will really appreciate all the help and names of buildings and compounds that might be great to live in.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:49 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks

Michael
Hi Michael,

I lived in Jeddah a long time ago. I to would advise to book a hotel first. If your employer is half serious he'll understand your concerns. And if you find a compound? Although they are the cheapest, never take the villa just behind the main gate(s), especially not now.

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Jul 30th 2008 at 10:54 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently in Riyadh,but relocating to Jeddah. I went for a couple of days to look round the place,and thought it was quite nice.

I'll be on Sierra Village compound, although will only be in a 2 bed apartment, even though I'll be there with my wife and step daughter. Will be on the waiting list to get a 3 bed villa.

The first thing I noticed about Jeddah is the humidity. This is quite a remarked difference to Riyadh, which is of course in land. Maybe I'm just acclimatised to the dry heat of Riyadh? The temp is pretty even all year round. There is prob more to do in Jeddah - shopping is very good,new malls opening up all the time, and one of them has 3 cinema screens by all accounts ( Red Sea Mall )

Due to Jeddah being on the coast, this brings about more activities. As you will have read by now, scuba diving is very popular out in Jeddah, and one of the best places world wide. Sailing and fishing are also popular. I definitely fancy going diving and giving that a try.

As you say you have been in Jeddah before, you will probably know those things anyway. There is a lot of info on the web, so do some reading. I'm hoping to be there late August, but currently in the UK on a well earned break. Fly back into Riyadh then moving out to Jeddah.

I really don't understand people when they answer by describing somewhere as a complete dump. Where's the sensitivity? Surely its better to list the pro's and cons and let the OP make up his own mind, why impose such negativity? It just becomes a waste of time IMHO.

Good luck with the move.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

We enjoyed compund life in Jeddah very much, but try to avoid the small and modern ones which have less character and less to do. Any of the Arabian Village compunds are okay. Maybe you are being housed in a place occupied by your predecessor. If so, request a months trial with the option to move to a place of your choice thereafter.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:47 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks

Michael
Hi Michael,

And once you settle in? It's an absolute crime if you don't try out the Thai and other Asian restaurants in and around Jeddah. Cheap, damn good high quality food as well. Absolutely love the extremely spicy chili soups they offer. Kicks you into the next universe, but WOW....

Dutchie
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expa_4_Life
I don't know about Al Aoum - but as suggested - get there - stay in a hotel and see for yourself. If you are taking your family then Sharbatly used to be a good bet.
I lived in Sharbatly from 91 until 93 then went to live in Binzagr on Madniah Road and Al-Ghadeer St. Even then Sharbatly was a bit of a dump so I hope it's improved by now.