British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Jeddah in 2 weeks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-jeddah-2-weeks-877631/)

sanduk May 18th 2016 9:20 am

Moving to Jeddah in 2 weeks

Hi there,

I just wanted to know what life is like out in Jeddah? I will be moving out there first and then my wife will follow once I get my working visa. What is the Al Amoudia compound actually like? I'm concerned as I have searched and get differing views on the compound. I'm hoping I can stay out there a while so I can come back to the UK with money for a new house!
Is life actually good out there? Will my wife be able to find a part time job in admin?

Regards
Sandeep

nottmbantam May 24th 2016 12:37 pm

Re: Moving to Jeddah in 2 weeks

HI,

I don't know that compound, so cannot comment on that. Jeddah is a better place than most in Saudi, a little more relaxed, but bear in mind, it is still Saudi, so still has restrictions. What research have you done so far on Jeddah?

In terms of your wife finding a part time Admin job, it's possible, but bear in mind that there are a lot of people in Saudi who work in 'Admin" and will probably earn around 1,500SR to 3,000SR a month for full time work. It's not very well paid, and quite competitive. The best places for your wife to look for that type of work are English speaking institutes eg schools, embassies, British Council etc

Overall, personally speaking , I enjoyed our time in Jeddah, prefer it any day over Riyadh, and would move back tomorrow.

sanduk May 25th 2016 9:09 am

Thank you very much for that reply it was helpful. I'm still feeling very nervous but hopefully it will be a pleasant experience as well

mission May 25th 2016 11:19 am

be ready for a culture shock....hope you have done your research...as a female no amount of money would ever make me want to move to KSA

good luck!

Tahir84 May 25th 2016 12:36 pm

what role/industry have you landed a job in and also what package have you been offered. Its just so that forum users (from your industry) can compare their future offers against the information you provide so it will be useful.
Regarding Jeddah, as others have said, it is the most relaxed city in KSA. It just depends on how much of a culture change would you feel personally when you arrive there. If your objective is to make money and leave then Jeddah is as good as any other city in ME (IMHO). Unfortunately I cant comment on compound as didn't live in one in Jeddah.
All the best.

sanduk May 25th 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Tahir,

I've been born and brought up in London all my life so far so it will be a culture shock in terms of freedom and freedom of speech.
I'm going to be a senior Lab technician or better known as a Senior Biomedical scientists in the UK in a hospital lab.
I have got the equivalent UK pay but obviously tax free. £45000 per year or around 250,000 SAR.....or 20,800SAR per month, I have a 10% bonus each year, all accommodation paid for (family contract), 35 days per year annual leave plus 2xflight back to the UK per yeah per person.

Hope that all helps,

northbadawi May 26th 2016 4:57 am

Originally Posted by sanduk (Post 11955951)
I've been born and brought up in London all my life so far so it will be a culture shock in terms of freedom and freedom of speech.

You will be surprised that no cultural shock, at least in those terms.

smint Jun 29th 2016 5:49 am

hi all

as he said Jeddah is a better place than most in Saudi, a little more relaxed

im a saudi born in jeddah any of peoples need help in jeddah no problem at all

any time you can ask me . i was in Uk 2 years and i know what people feel .

hope all of you get what you want in jeddah or anywhere in KSA

have a nice time all

Charl01 Jun 29th 2016 8:22 am

If the company pays accommodation and you have SAR20K monthly it will be tight, depending on your lifestyle, kids in school etc