British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving house and DEWA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-house-dewa-765694/)

Millhouse Jul 20th 2012 7:16 pm

Moving house and DEWA

Hello.

I never set up my DEWA account and cannot really remember how I did ADWEA when I left AD. So...

What's the process? How do I get my final bill and close my account / get the deposit back? My landlord will be coming with me on the day as he will 'take it over' - I assume he will open a new account basically on the same day.

Is this a two trip process, or a one trip process? [i.e. do I go, close it, wait for bill, go back and then pay - or is it easier?]. What ID do I need to take?

How do I open a new account when taking on the new house? Can I have more than one account at any one time?

Where is DEWA?

Thanks, Millhouse.

MataHari Jul 20th 2012 8:47 pm

Re: Moving house and DEWA

I assume the Dewa is in your name...you just go to the Dewa office, bring your tenancy contract, your passport and a bill or at least the account number and you tell them it needs to be disconnected per such and such date. If the landlord doesn't want the dewa to be physically disconnected, he will come with you at the same time and do his thing.
They will take a few days to get the final bill and when its ready they contact you (but they don't always do, so you call them, go through the menu and punch in your account number) and then you hear how much it is and you go and pay. You can settle it against the deposit, you get the rest back or you pay what is over the 2000 dhs.

To set up your new account, you again will need the contract, your passport and the title deed or affection plan (your agent or landlord will give you this). You will also need the Dewa number that you can find on the little black plate with white numbers, that's usually on the grey Dewa box outside your villa (in apartments it will be on your front door door frame) Go to Dewa, pay the 2000 dhs deposit and 110 connection fee, and it will be connected within 48 hours...unless there is an outstanding bill from the previous tenant, in which case that needs to be settled first. So you need to make sure that's done, and any decent real estate agent/landlord will have made sure. Plus nowadays you need to show your paid final bill to get the security deposit back from your landlord, but not everybody does that yet.

There are Dewa offices all over Dubai. Head Office is next to Wafi/City Bank. If there are any issues, the branches will send you over there, but if it's all straight forward you don't need to go there.
You can find the locations on the Dewa website.

shakh your bootie Jul 20th 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 10184049)
I assume the Dewa is in your name...you just go to the Dewa office, bring your tenancy contract, your passport and a bill or at least the account number and you tell them it needs to be disconnected per such and such date. If the landlord doesn't want the dewa to be physically disconnected, he will come with you at the same time and do his thing.
They will take a few days to get the final bill and when its ready they contact you (but they don't always do, so you call them, go through the menu and punch in your account number) and then you hear how much it is and you go and pay. You can settle it against the deposit, you get the rest back or you pay what is over the 2000 dhs.

To set up your new account, you again will need the contract, your passport and the title deed or affection plan (your agent or landlord will give you this). You will also need the Dewa number that you can find on the little black plate with white numbers, that's usually on the grey Dewa box outside your villa (in apartments it will be on your front door door frame) Go to Dewa, pay the 2000 dhs deposit and 110 connection fee, and it will be connected within 48 hours...unless there is an outstanding bill from the previous tenant, in which case that needs to be settled first. So you need to make sure that's done, and any decent real estate agent/landlord will have made sure. Plus nowadays you need to show your paid final bill to get the security deposit back from your landlord, but not everybody does that yet.

There are Dewa offices all over Dubai. Head Office is next to Wafi/City Bank. If there are any issues, the branches will send you over there, but if it's all straight forward you don't need to go there.

Damn. You said that so well.

Millhouse Jul 21st 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 10184049)

Thank you very much...! Will you do it for me?

Blue Cat Jul 21st 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10184622)

Our agent did all of ours, was quite impressed/shocked :)

MataHari Jul 21st 2012 7:47 am

I will send you my rates...

Maxima Jul 21st 2012 8:43 am

So does DEWA disclose to prospective tenants whether there are any outstanding bills left by the previous occupant ?

the_red_sheep Jul 21st 2012 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 10184737)
So does DEWA disclose to prospective tenants whether there are any outstanding bills left by the previous occupant ?

If you take a note of the Dewa number you can check on their website what if any outstanding bill amount there is.

norsk Jul 21st 2012 10:28 am

You don't actually have to visit a DEWA office if you register online (http://www.dewa.gov.ae).

You can set up a new account online (took 1 day for the electricity to be turned on in my case), you can request a final bill and I am pretty sure you can close it down as well. Of course if you're registered online you can pay the bill online as well and see the history of usage etc..

auzdafluff Jul 21st 2012 11:23 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10184843)
You don't actually have to visit a DEWA office if you register online (http://www.dewa.gov.ae).

You can set up a new account online (took 1 day for the electricity to be turned on in my case), you can request a final bill and I am pretty sure you can close it down as well. Of course if you're registered online you can pay the bill online as well and see the history of usage etc..

Yup. I pay my bills online every time, including my Du bill. You have no idea how great it is to have some semblance of the UK here.