Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai this Thursday

Moving to Dubai this Thursday

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:43 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Dubai this Thursday

Please don't flame me because I'm American, I am who I am, and can't change that. BTW I'm a 24 year old male.

Anyways i'm moving to Dubai this thursday from wash, dc. I'll be there a year (contractual). I visited for a week a few months ago and loved it. I pretty much have an apartment squared away in Dubai Marina (Jumeira), just have to look at it on saturday and wire the money in.

I'm furnishing this thing myself, and I'm really not bringing much other than clothes and a computer over with me. I'm planning on hopefully picking up a decent full 1 br furniture, kitchen, and bedroom set from one of the "expat leaving" paper ads. That brings me to my first question. Does anybody know what the best way to move stuff is, can i just hire some cheap movers for a day to grab some guys stuff and bring it to my apt.

Also, what are the best places to shop for home stuff like bedding, appliances, etc. I really wish there was a walmart in dubai! I'm not looking for real expensive stuff, just stuff that will last alright and won't cost too much. I see that there is this debenhams place, would that be a good place to get some home stuff.

I'm sure i'll have more questions before and after I leave and from what I see on here i am hoping to get some good answers. Thanks everyone.

Tom
Old Aug 24th 2004, 7:32 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Dubai this Thursday

Originally Posted by TA5
Please don't flame me because I'm American, I am who I am, and can't change that. BTW I'm a 24 year old male.

Anyways i'm moving to Dubai this thursday from wash, dc. I'll be there a year (contractual). I visited for a week a few months ago and loved it. I pretty much have an apartment squared away in Dubai Marina (Jumeira), just have to look at it on saturday and wire the money in.

I'm furnishing this thing myself, and I'm really not bringing much other than clothes and a computer over with me. I'm planning on hopefully picking up a decent full 1 br furniture, kitchen, and bedroom set from one of the "expat leaving" paper ads. That brings me to my first question. Does anybody know what the best way to move stuff is, can i just hire some cheap movers for a day to grab some guys stuff and bring it to my apt.

Also, what are the best places to shop for home stuff like bedding, appliances, etc. I really wish there was a walmart in dubai! I'm not looking for real expensive stuff, just stuff that will last alright and won't cost too much. I see that there is this debenhams place, would that be a good place to get some home stuff.

I'm sure i'll have more questions before and after I leave and from what I see on here i am hoping to get some good answers. Thanks everyone.

Tom
Hi Tom

You're spot -on! You could just hire truckers and they would move any stuff you need moving- they're pretty cheap. I think I have a number if you need, or anyway I know the location where their trucks are parked, so you could just go and give them a shout.

If you are looking for inexpensive stuff, you don't want to be going to Debenhams!! Your best bet is IKEA, in Deira City Centre and Carrefour Supermarket, which is Dubai's answer to Walmart. Both these stores are good value and you'd find everything you need.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Elles is on a distinguished road

Hi Tom

As mentioned by CherryPie, Carrefour is a good place to start looking for reasonable priced white goods/electrical. You can also try the Co-op on Al Wasl Road, Lu-Lu Centre by terminal 2 at the airport as they also stock a good range and are pretty cheap.

Bedding and home furnishings there ae a few places, as well as Ikea you could try the Home Centre (in the Oasis Centre) and Homes R Us (in the Mazaya Centre) both are on the Sheik Zayad Road and easy to find. Home centre have a better choice of furniture, where I have found Homes R Us to have a better selection of bedding.

You will also find expats advertising bits and bobs in the local stores, like Spinney's and Choitrams.

Home Centre, Home Options (in Karama), Ikea and Homes R Us are a few places where you can also get cheap tab-top curtains as if you are looking at cutting your expense, the last thing you will want to do is spend loads of money of getting curtains made!

Hope this is of some help!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:59 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Hi Tom

You're spot -on! You could just hire truckers and they would move any stuff you need moving- they're pretty cheap. I think I have a number if you need, or anyway I know the location where their trucks are parked, so you could just go and give them a shout.

If you are looking for inexpensive stuff, you don't want to be going to Debenhams!! Your best bet is IKEA, in Deira City Centre and Carrefour Supermarket, which is Dubai's answer to Walmart. Both these stores are good value and you'd find everything you need.

Can you give me that number, as well as where they are parked, this is what i've been hoping, that there is just some cheap way to get some expat's old stuff and put it in my place. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the store recommendations, it seems that there are several on Sheikh Zayed road, which is basically what Dubai Marina is on, so that shouldn't be too difficult to get to either.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 7:54 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by TA5
Can you give me that number, as well as where they are parked, this is what i've been hoping, that there is just some cheap way to get some expat's old stuff and put it in my place. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the store recommendations, it seems that there are several on Sheikh Zayed road, which is basically what Dubai Marina is on, so that shouldn't be too difficult to get to either.

Have replied to your PM.