Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai Thoughts

Moving to Dubai Thoughts

Old Jun 22nd 2016, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

moonstaruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai Thoughts

Hi there,

I am in the process of discussions around moving my family and job to Dubai, new company. We are myself, wife and 1 year old toddler boy. I have friends in dubai, qatar and Abu Dhabi, but just would like some further thoughts/suggestions etc.

There are 3 things I'm trying to establish which research hasn't given me the necessary answers are:

1. Where is a good place to live with a toddler so that it's easy for us to make friends with other expat families and so that there's outside areas for him and us to do things. We are an outdoor family so that's an aspect we'd like to keep - I've been told arabian heights (preference at present)/emirates hills/the greens is a great location but just wondered if anyone else with young family on where they settled? Ideally we want a 3 bed house so that we can accommodate guests efficiently! Are all nursery's the same standard?

2. Salary, I know there's a load of discussions on this but I wanted to pitch out to get thoughts on cost of lifestyle etc. The job offer that's been pitched to me is 35k aed per month, 20% annual bonus, Relocation expenses, all flights out paid for, family flights home every year, $6,000 settling in allowance, 41 months accommodation for family in hotel with all food, accomodation help (I think they pay the full year for you and then it's taken out of your salary), a look and see service to find best areas to live and opening bank accounts etc, heavily discounted car rental/lease, full family medical insurance, up to 2 X children partial schooling fees paid for up to 75% (I'm looking to negotiate this to include nursery fees).... I just wondered how that faired?

3. Happy wife I'm told is one of the key factors of such an adventure being successful, would you recommend that she worked so it's easier for her to integrate etc, I know there's some companies who would easily employ her in her line of work?
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai Thoughts

Originally Posted by moonstaruk
Hi there,

I am in the process of discussions around moving my family and job to Dubai, new company. We are myself, wife and 1 year old toddler boy. I have friends in dubai, qatar and Abu Dhabi, but just would like some further thoughts/suggestions etc.

There are 3 things I'm trying to establish which research hasn't given me the necessary answers are:

1. Where is a good place to live with a toddler so that it's easy for us to make friends with other expat families and so that there's outside areas for him and us to do things. We are an outdoor family so that's an aspect we'd like to keep - I've been told arabian heights (preference at present)/emirates hills/the greens is a great location but just wondered if anyone else with young family on where they settled? Ideally we want a 3 bed house so that we can accommodate guests efficiently! Are all nursery's the same standard?

2. Salary, I know there's a load of discussions on this but I wanted to pitch out to get thoughts on cost of lifestyle etc. The job offer that's been pitched to me is 35k aed per month, 20% annual bonus, Relocation expenses, all flights out paid for, family flights home every year, $6,000 settling in allowance, 41 months accommodation for family in hotel with all food, accomodation help (I think they pay the full year for you and then it's taken out of your salary), a look and see service to find best areas to live and opening bank accounts etc, heavily discounted car rental/lease, full family medical insurance, up to 2 X children partial schooling fees paid for up to 75% (I'm looking to negotiate this to include nursery fees).... I just wondered how that faired?

3. Happy wife I'm told is one of the key factors of such an adventure being successful, would you recommend that she worked so it's easier for her to integrate etc, I know there's some companies who would easily employ her in her line of work?

What is your job as it' all relative . Post up your job and your current situation in the UK and then you'll get some detailed reply.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

1. arabian heights (preference at present)/emirates hills/the greens
Arabian Heights - never heard of this place. Arabian Ranches maybe? If so its a big residential development out of town generally populated by expats. Nice area to live but as I say its out of town. Also it has the Dubai Autodrome next to it so ensure you are at the right end otherwise the sound of race cars may get annoying.

Emirates hills. NEVER gonna happen on 35K a month. Dream on.

The Greens - Nice enough but generally more apartments than villas. A bit dated but not shockingly. Generally good value and handy to get in and around the town. Probably the best starting place for a year until you get on your feet and decide where you want to live.

As for the 3 bed.... I would advise against getting anywhere bigger than you actually need. The sums just don't add up in terms of rent difference. You could put your guest up in a hotel on the occasions they are here for less than you will probably pay in rent.

As CDB says, whack some details up so we can get a better idea and be even more judgey!
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Greens has no villas. All apartments and all expensive so it depends on what you mean by good value. It's probably the most expensive area per sqft as people seem to love it so it's shown little to no rent declines unlike the other areas. Low rises are more basic, high rises fancier.

He may have confused Emirates Hills with Emirates Living, as the latter includes the Springs. A Springs terraced villa may be feasible on his budget.

35K salary with housing taken out of it, plus up to 75% of school fees covered for two kids. Altogether not brilliant. He'll survive. But it won't be lavish and they probably wont' save much money. Unless the wife works, of course. If she makes 20K a month (assumption) then 55K all in plus 75% of school fees covered is very solid.

FYI no one gets nursery fees covered in Dubai.

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Arabian Heights - never heard of this place. Arabian Ranches maybe? If so its a big residential development out of town generally populated by expats. Nice area to live but as I say its out of town. Also it has the Dubai Autodrome next to it so ensure you are at the right end otherwise the sound of race cars may get annoying.

Emirates hills. NEVER gonna happen on 35K a month. Dream on.

The Greens - Nice enough but generally more apartments than villas. A bit dated but not shockingly. Generally good value and handy to get in and around the town. Probably the best starting place for a year until you get on your feet and decide where you want to live.

As for the 3 bed.... I would advise against getting anywhere bigger than you actually need. The sums just don't add up in terms of rent difference. You could put your guest up in a hotel on the occasions they are here for less than you will probably pay in rent.

As CDB says, whack some details up so we can get a better idea and be even more judgey!
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:11 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let Arabian Ranches being 'out of town' put you off. Road links are excellent and it is pretty much within a twenty five/thirty minute drive of anywhere in Dubai and a lot closer than that to the Marina, Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Mall and the Downtown area, Madinat Jumeirah and many other areas. And there is a regular bus service to Mall of the Emirates which our friends with teenage children made good use of - greatly reduced use of the taxi of Mum and Dad!

We lived there for seven years and were very happy there. The Autodrome wasn't a big problem noise wise - I could count on the fingers of one hand the times when it was particularly noisy and even then it didn't stop us from being out in the garden. Much, much worse (aircraft) noise problems in Mirdif and surrounding areas.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Don't let Arabian Ranches being 'out of town' put you off. Road links are excellent and it is pretty much within a twenty five/thirty minute drive of anywhere in Dubai and a lot closer than that to the Marina, Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Mall and the Downtown area, Madinat Jumeirah and many other areas. And there is a regular bus service to Mall of the Emirates which our friends with teenage children made good use of - greatly reduced use of the taxi of Mum and Dad!

We lived there for seven years and were very happy there. The Autodrome wasn't a big problem noise wise - I could count on the fingers of one hand the times when it was particularly noisy and even then it didn't stop us from being out in the garden. Much, much worse (aircraft) noise problems in Mirdif and surrounding areas.
I live on the Ranches and roads now are excellent then say 5 years ago . 8 years ago that interchange was a roundabout.

I get a little bit of noise from the Emirates Road but not much, everything is 20mins away.

Great place to live
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I live on the Ranches and roads now are excellent then say 5 years ago . 8 years ago that interchange was a roundabout.

I get a little bit of noise from the Emirates Road but not much, everything is 20mins away.

Great place to live
I bet you fit in perfectly on the Ranches.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
I bet you fit in perfectly on the Ranches.
I keep myself to myself chief to be honest but there's some right sorts living on here that's for sure.

The butter wouldn't melt and not a pot to piss in brigade , no different really to anywhere else mate .
Old Jun 25th 2016, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

What is your job as it' all relative . Post up your job and your current situation in the UK and then you'll get some detailed reply.
Head of sales role - have previously lived in Sydney for a few years so have lived elsewhere before. Have a home her so would need to rent that out, wife and 1 year old son. Currently employed her in the UK. Likely hood is that the wife will work and salary would be around 25k per year.

Last edited by moonstaruk; Jun 25th 2016 at 8:03 am.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Head of sales role - have previously lived in Sydney for a few years so have lived elsewhere before. Have a home her so would need to rent that out, wife and 1 year old son. Currently employed her in the UK. Likely hood is that the wife will work and salary would be around 25k per year.
It's doable of course , i would get some real fine written detail for the package as on costs here if not covered can be horrendous.

A 3 bed in the Arabian Ranches will set you back 160-180K per year , there's cheaper living locations for sure and you'll always have to trade off as there's no perfect set up with the schools / work / travel / social scenarios .

Your wife would need to work and you'd need to manage the cash but it can be done but you'll have to reign in the spending . The first year will be tough and the job market is volatile as always so there's risk .

Your accommodation and nursey fees will be the biggest costs
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Great place to live
good to know - a few people have recommended that Arabian ranches is a good place to start and live with many expat families in that area. will definitely keep a look out on there.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Greens has no villas. All apartments and all expensive so it depends on what you mean by good value. It's probably the most expensive area per sqft as people seem to love it so it's shown little to no rent declines unlike the other areas. Low rises are more basic, high rises fancier.

He may have confused Emirates Hills with Emirates Living, as the latter includes the Springs. A Springs terraced villa may be feasible on his budget.

35K salary with housing taken out of it, plus up to 75% of school fees covered for two kids. Altogether not brilliant. He'll survive. But it won't be lavish and they probably wont' save much money. Unless the wife works, of course. If she makes 20K a month (assumption) then 55K all in plus 75% of school fees covered is very solid.

FYI no one gets nursery fees covered in Dubai.
is the springs a good area?
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

It's doable of course , i would get some real fine written detail for the package as on costs here if not covered can be horrendous.

A 3 bed in the Arabian Ranches will set you back 160-180K per year , there's cheaper living locations for sure and you'll always have to trade off as there's no perfect set up with the schools / work / travel / social scenarios .

Your wife would need to work and you'd need to manage the cash but it can be done but you'll have to reign in the spending . The first year will be tough and the job market is volatile as always so there's risk .

Your accommodation and nursey fees will be the biggest costs
I've found a really good spreadsheet so have been analysing the finances but I know that there will always be a raft of other £££ needed. What should realistically be my target rental? I'm looking at 120-170 for a 2-3 bed? That realistic? What are my other costs on housing - utilities etc thanks for all the help so far and critics
Old Jun 25th 2016, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I keep myself to myself chief to be honest but there's some right sorts living on here that's for sure.

The butter wouldn't melt and not a pot to piss in brigade , no different really to anywhere else mate .
I love driving round up there after playing golf. Its a funny place. Villas look nice mind.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
I love driving round up there after playing golf. Its a funny place. Villas look nice mind.
I found it a bit strange when i first moved on to be honest as you're quite removed from everything. The funny thing is you don't have to come off , only to go to work !

Villa's are quite decent and they do a good job in keeping it looking good . i have a great landlord as well so that's a big help. I've lived everywhere from Midriff to Bur dubai and Jebel Ali Village over the years but i can't knock it up here to be honest .

46 dibs for a pint of Peroni is a bit steep though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.