British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Dubai as a single woman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-single-woman-175688/)

beckyd100 Sep 1st 2003 12:00 pm

Moving to Dubai as a single woman

Hey,

I'm thinking of moving to Dubai and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like to be a single woman out there? I'm in my mid-20s and from what I read I get the impression that it's quite a family orientated place. Is there still lots to do and is it easy to meet people?

Also, if anyone can point me in the right direction to look for a job in finance out there that'd be great

Cheers,

Becca

nazibur Sep 6th 2003 12:25 pm

Re: Moving to Dubai as a single woman

Originally posted by beckyd100
Hey,

I'm thinking of moving to Dubai and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like to be a single woman out there? I'm in my mid-20s and from what I read I get the impression that it's quite a family orientated place. Is there still lots to do and is it easy to meet people?

Also, if anyone can point me in the right direction to look for a job in finance out there that'd be great

Cheers,

Becca
Hi

Yes it is a beautiful place, and no problem, you are welcome.

Best regards,

Nazibur

Poshpaws Sep 8th 2003 1:56 am

Sorry old love, I was just about to ask you why Dublin? Then I read it again. Knew these glasses needed changing. Not a lot of help am I? Good luck to you wherever you go, just write in larger font for us impaired (blind as a bat) ones. ;)

Don Sep 8th 2003 5:02 pm

Hey,

Cheers,

Becca
Don't know about the job but as a single woman aged mid-20s the guys will be biting off your hands asking for dates. There are very few single European females but loads of single guys.

veryfunny Sep 9th 2003 11:36 am

Hey,

Cheers,

Becca
Tax breaks, tax breaks!!!!

Heart of gold Oct 7th 2003 11:01 pm

Hey,

Cheers,

Becca
Not sure how this system works but here goes. I have two kids and from the response my two have had Dubai is very family / child orientated, hence why they have so many children themselves.
There is loads to do and meeting poeple if you know the right places is good to.
Try Expatmum.com this site will give you everything you need to know and more, it covers the middle east, america and , well you name the country.
It has become my bible but it wont give you mother and toddler groups!
As your single, you may be wishing to work. Normally women are sponsered by their partner / hubby.
It is like being at home, you can even ( in selected Chiothrams / spinneys ) get every thing.
Hope that site helps and good luck
Michelle

Balushi Oct 17th 2003 11:43 am

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Don't know about the job but as a single woman aged mid-20s the guys will be biting off your hands asking for dates. There are very few single European females but loads of single guys.

Are you serious?

There are a Lot of Spinster in Dubai! - Its not that easy!

Mercedes Oct 18th 2003 12:17 pm

Hi Becca

I went to Dubai, about 4 years ago as a single woman, being blued eyed blond, I was warned I may have a few problems. However I arrived without any contacts there, and yes you may get attraction, but I found the locals lovely and friendly and even though I walked around at night, I never felt unsafe. The only problem I encountered was that there were many Russian girls who were prostitutes and often I was asked if I was Russian, however once I was identified I wasnt, I had no problems. Lovely people, respect the culture and you´ll have no probs, ie in your dress. If you wear short skirts barely covering your backside, (which I did see there) bare belly etc, and behave like some british women do abroad, then you´ll have probs in attracting disrespect.

Have fun, its a beautiful place and one of my favorite destinations I would like to return to.
Mercedes.

Hey,

Cheers,

Becca