Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai - seeking insights

Moving to Dubai - seeking insights

Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

deepug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai - seeking insights

Hello

I am relocating, with family, from UK to Dubai in the coming weeks. I start a new job with a diversified local group. I seek some insights from folks on this forum.

Place to stay: Based on the pointers below, I am exploring target locations to stay in Dubai, post one month company paid accomodation:
A. My work location is near GGICO Metro station and it will not involve major travel outside UAE.
B. My daughter has secured admission in DESS, Oud Metha
C. My wife is an ex-banker and will want to re-start her career in Dubai once we've settled down
D. We would need a 3-4 bed place in a decent area with kiddies facilities, proximity to metro station, reasonable access to parks / library, etc.

I will get a company car. However, I have been hearing of traffic woes in Dubai and would be happy to avoid driving and instead stick to a metro journey, given the proximity of my office to the station.

Given the various touch points for my family and I, I am looking for recommendations on which areas to consider for a 3-bed villa or a 3-bed apartment.

On a slight tangent, what are the implications on rentals and property market if Dubai wins the Expo 2020 vote? Would people recommend buying a place instead of renting (because of the fact that when you rent, you pay someone else's mortgage)?

At present, I do not know how long I'd like to stay in Dubai.

Any takers to share some wisdom?

Cheers
D
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - seeking insights

Originally Posted by deepug
Hello

I am relocating, with family, from UK to Dubai in the coming weeks. I start a new job with a diversified local group. I seek some insights from folks on this forum.

Place to stay: Based on the pointers below, I am exploring target locations to stay in Dubai, post one month company paid accomodation:
A. My work location is near GGICO Metro station and it will not involve major travel outside UAE.
B. My daughter has secured admission in DESS, Oud Metha
C. My wife is an ex-banker and will want to re-start her career in Dubai once we've settled down
D. We would need a 3-4 bed place in a decent area with kiddies facilities, proximity to metro station, reasonable access to parks / library, etc.

I will get a company car. However, I have been hearing of traffic woes in Dubai and would be happy to avoid driving and instead stick to a metro journey, given the proximity of my office to the station.

Given the various touch points for my family and I, I am looking for recommendations on which areas to consider for a 3-bed villa or a 3-bed apartment.

On a slight tangent, what are the implications on rentals and property market if Dubai wins the Expo 2020 vote? Would people recommend buying a place instead of renting (because of the fact that when you rent, you pay someone else's mortgage)?

At present, I do not know how long I'd like to stay in Dubai.

Any takers to share some wisdom?

Cheers
D
No idea where that metro station is, but you should give an idea of what your budget is for housing
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking to rent and want to get the Metro every day then Rashidya has plenty of villas of the size you need, its also fairly close to DESS. For apartments you could try SZR, Business Bay or JLT. they are all on the metro route.

Not sure about buying if you are unsure how long you are going to stay - however if Dubai get the Expo (a done deal I'm hearing) then prices will probably rise.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

deepug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mogs
No idea where that metro station is, but you should give an idea of what your budget is for housing
Fair point Mogs. I guess I should be able to afford a budget of AED150k - 180k. Worst case, I could stretch to AED200k for something really wonderful. Do you think I could find something in this range?
Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deepug
Fair point Mogs. I guess I should be able to afford a budget of AED150k - 180k. Worst case, I could stretch to AED200k for something really wonderful. Do you think I could find something in this range?
wonderful doesn't exist in Dubai. My advice is to go cheap in the first year - 150k and then see if you can raise it later. 50k AED is almost 10kGBP of potential savings down the pan.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/aroundto.../686-libraries