British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Dubai ... PLEASE HELP!?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-please-help-208829/)

lace7725 Feb 9th 2004 3:02 am

Moving to Dubai ... PLEASE HELP!??

Hello all ...
I am maybe moving with my new husband to Dubai (I am from the States) ... I have heard so many wonderful things about living in Dubai. I am really nervous for the fact that I wont be able to go to Dubai to check it out for myself before making a decision. Can you give me pointers?
My husband has 6 years experience as an Petroleum/Reservoir Engineer.
1) What salary should he expect? We would like to live in a nice place and be able to put away money each month.
2) What type of housing allowance should we expect. Nice furnished place.
3) What other things should we know or expect?
4) Any advice to offer me?

Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!
Lacy

Tarryn Feb 9th 2004 6:56 am

Re: Moving to Dubai ... PLEASE HELP!??

Hey Lacy

We have been livign here for the past 6 years and love Dubai.

It is safe, comfortable and easy to live here. You get everything (almost) you need food wise. Dubai is modern and you dont really feel that you are in an Arab Country as they are quite open within reason, with restrictions on certain things.

Accomodation is quite expensive, so its generally best to try get that included in you salary / package. A nice 3 bed apartment with 3 bathrooms can cost between 65000 dhs to 95 000dhs. A Villa with same number of beds anything from 85 000dhs to 150 000dhs per annum. You can get furnished & unfurnished places.

I am not sure about Salary in your hubby's filed - you will have to search for that on the internet / get in touch with agencies here - Clarendon Parker, IQ Selection, etc which you can probably find online by searching those names.

It is terribly hot in Summer - June July August 40 - 50 degrees Celcius and pleasant in Winter 18 - 25 degrees and it varies in between.

Easy to travel from here and see the world and lots of interesting people to meet too!

Hope it helps a bit!
T

JamieT Feb 9th 2004 12:14 pm

Hi Lacy,

It's difficult to say how much he should be earning, but it should be around Dhs 20,000 per month, (I'm guessing). Where to live will depend on your family status, as you mentioned you were recently married, I'm guessing no kids yet. There are some new apartment blocks going up which are stunning with sea view The Marina complex, (The sea being only hundreds of meters away). Rent is approx. Dhs 6250 per month ( There are 3.68 Dirhams to the US$ fixed) exclusive of utilities. Although if he is working for a large oil company they normally help out in that department as part of his package.

My company actually is the first company in the middle east to do rental furniture short and long term, if your interested in that. I'm not going to push my services in this forum, but it's there if you need it.

Anything else you should know? It's fun over here, but hard work. The plus points definately out-weight the negative points, so don't worry.

Tunaman

Originally posted by lace7725
Hello all ...
I am maybe moving with my new husband to Dubai (I am from the States) ... I have heard so many wonderful things about living in Dubai. I am really nervous for the fact that I wont be able to go to Dubai to check it out for myself before making a decision. Can you give me pointers?
1) What salary should he expect? We would like to live in a nice place and be able to put away money each month.

Lacy

lace7725 Feb 9th 2004 5:09 pm

$20,000 per month? Wow - that seems like a lot of money?
5,445.00 USD per month (I guess that is not that much considering he makes about that now in the states ... BUT he is taxed on that income now)
Thank you both for your advice.
Lacy

jeannie Feb 10th 2004 1:39 am

Originally posted by lace7725
$20,000 per month? Wow - that seems like a lot of money?
5,445.00 USD per month (I guess that is not that much considering he makes about that now in the states ... BUT he is taxed on that income now)
Thank you both for your advice.
Lacy

Hi Lacy.....Thats about $8,000.00 Cdn ......whoa.. thats a lot of money- but I know it's the weather......:scared: :D :D

JamieT Feb 10th 2004 5:42 am

Lacy,

It's not $20,000. He's not a rocket scientist!!! No, it's about US$5434 per month, it is an income tax free environment, but the cost of living can be high (If you want it to be, or if your lifestyle dictates)
Jamie

Balushi Feb 10th 2004 6:13 am

20,000 PER MONTH, Yes he can get it! depending on the size of the organisation!and the nationality they are looking for.

but becarefull not to ask for tooo much bcoz the pay scales are not controled by the Govt. if there is an indian available most probably will be the case then ofcourse the indian will work for the quarter of that amonut your husban wud ask for! - just my two cents.

clowdy Oct 6th 2004 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by JamieT
Hi Lacy,

It's difficult to say how much he should be earning, but it should be around Dhs 20,000 per month, (I'm guessing). Where to live will depend on your family status, as you mentioned you were recently married, I'm guessing no kids yet. There are some new apartment blocks going up which are stunning with sea view The Marina complex, (The sea being only hundreds of meters away). Rent is approx. Dhs 6250 per month ( There are 3.68 Dirhams to the US$ fixed) exclusive of utilities. Although if he is working for a large oil company they normally help out in that department as part of his package.

My company actually is the first company in the middle east to do rental furniture short and long term, if your interested in that. I'm not going to push my services in this forum, but it's there if you need it.

Anything else you should know? It's fun over here, but hard work. The plus points definately out-weight the negative points, so don't worry.

Tunaman

Hallo !!

I am an Italian architect moving to Dubai from France. (Actually I am also Australian, but that's another story). I am looking for furnished accommodation. It would be nice if it was near where I will be working (Jebel Ali) and not too expensive. I'm neat and tidy and quiet and laid back.

clowdy Oct 6th 2004 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by JamieT
Hi Lacy,

Tunaman

I meant to say (and forgot) that if you have any apartments available PLEASE contact me. A one bedroom place would be great. Anywhere near enough to Jebel Ali. Or within reach. Thanks very much.

Heart of gold Oct 8th 2004 3:33 am

Originally Posted by lace7725
Hello all ...

Lacy

Hi .. Read the thread, "Is it just me" created by cherrypie, as this will give you various opinions on Dubai, they are worth the read! :)