Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to dubai (need Help)

Moving to dubai (need Help)

Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

nodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to all
Default Moving to dubai (need Help)

hi i'm a graduate that has just been offered a job in dubai, i'm quite nervious as i'll be heading over by myself and the country is a complete unknown to me, i've been checking up sites and and am finding it a bit overwhelming. i've been given the contract and it is split up like so

accommodation: DHS 4,000 per month
Water/electricity/etc: DHS 1,000 per month

Vechicle allowance: DHS 2,500 per month
basic salary: DHS 5423 per month
does this seem reasonable as in i'm a guy so its not as if i'll be wanting the lap of luxuray but just wanna know if i''ll end up not being able to head out at the weekends etc. and would i be able to afford a car cause it seems very expensive on most websites

also is it though setting up like i said i'll be by myself so could do with tips and hints on everything!!!

Thanx
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

BMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to dubai (need Help)

Originally Posted by nodd
hi i\'m a graduate that has just been offered a job in dubai, i\'m quite nervious as i\'ll be heading over by myself and the country is a complete unknown to me, i\'ve been checking up sites and and am finding it a bit overwhelming. i\'ve been given the contract and it is split up like so

does this seem reasonable as in i\'m a guy so its not as if i\'ll be wanting the lap of luxuray but just wanna know if i\'\'ll end up not being able to head out at the weekends etc. and would i be able to afford a car cause it seems very expensive on most websites

also is it though setting up like i said i\'ll be by myself so could do with tips and hints on everything!!!

Thanx
Truth be told, you will struggle on that package and live a very frugal existence.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:33 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessary, considering all the allowances, sure it's not great (rent!), however I know quite a few people on this kind of package and they survive perfectly fine. It all depends on your lifestyle. If you budget well, you may even be able to save a little each month. Afterall that's 5425dhs of spending money each month, and as long as you don't fall into the credit card debt black-hole, or exceed your allowances that's not bad at all!

Depending on where you're from, buying cars here is much cheaper, you can also pick up very good second hand cars. Petrol is very cheap (I'm from the UK where it's over five quid a gallon), Dewa's included and that's quite a reasonable amount for a single person.

As for rent, 4000 dhs isn't much, you're unlikely to get a place on your own for that amount, it is very possible that you will have to share (lots of people do this) and split the rental/utility costs. Also by doing this you will probably be able to live (depending on how many sharing) somewhere quite nice.

Lets face it your basic salary is about 850 - 900 pounds per month (going by today's exchange rate), adding all your extras you'll earning approx 2300 - 2400 pounds per month which isn't bad. In the UK this would be an OK salary and you would have to pay all your bills out of that. Personally, I think Dubai is still reasonably cheap place to live compared to London.

One thing you should ask for is one paid return flight home per year, which seems to be standard in most contracts here. Your company will either pay what they class as a basic fare amount in one lump sum per year or in twelve monthly increments, then it is up to you to save this amount each month towards your airfare. Also check if your company will pay for your accomodation (normally in a hotel) for the first two weeks minimum for when you first arrive as you'll need time to organise stuff.

Where abouts in Dubai will your company be based? As most people like to limit their commuter time to and from work, and the traffic can be a b$tch! So it will be ideal to live quite close to the office.

Also just to add, arrange to bring as much cash as you can for when you arrive as you'll need to pay for deposits for this and that (a lot on what you need to pay out will depend on your living arrangements), also rent (in most cases) needs to be paid for the year up-front in one lump sum. A number of banks here offer loans for rents, which are pretty easy to arrange and as long as your monthly repayment doesn't exceed your 4000dhs allowance, that will be fine. Plus you will probably want to hire a car until you have your UAE driving licence and buy a car of your own. If you have no-claims on your current car insurance, bring a letter/certificate to prove this from your insurance company, as this will be discounted against your car insurance here.

The only problem here is how easy it is to get credit, don't fall into that trap and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps, gives us a shout if any other questions.

Zannie
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:17 am
A slow driver!

lillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to behold

Do you get a flight included? And medical insurance?

Both will take a good chunk of your salary if not.

If you can include both of these you will probably be OK as long as you aren't out drinking every night!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nodd
hi i'm a graduate that has just been offered a job in dubai, i'm quite nervious as i'll be heading over by myself and the country is a complete unknown to me, i've been checking up sites and and am finding it a bit overwhelming. i've been given the contract and it is split up like so

does this seem reasonable as in i'm a guy so its not as if i'll be wanting the lap of luxuray but just wanna know if i''ll end up not being able to head out at the weekends etc. and would i be able to afford a car cause it seems very expensive on most websites

also is it though setting up like i said i'll be by myself so could do with tips and hints on everything!!!

Thanx
You've got good advice from Zannie, who has pretty much hit the nail on the head! If you are a fresh grad and are just entering the job market in the UAE, then that is a very good salary, in my opinion.

For 60k a year you can get a decent studio/1 bed. W/E/Internet/mobile would set you back another 500 dhs a month.

Other living expenses - groceries, fuel, clothes and stuff - are cheap. Shop for clothes & shoes during Sales!

Eating out is cheap, depending on where you eat ofcourse. You can get a meal for 10dhs and can go up to a few 100's !

What kind of a car do you want to buy - shop around for interest rates - banks will fall all over themselves to give you a loan - be careful, the interest rates quoted are flat and not on reducing balance, so don't be taken in by low rates of 3.99% ! Get a car that you can afford, after taking into account your rent, W/E, living exp and savings. What remains after all this, you use for entertainment & !

Few questions you may want to ask -

(a) is there any performance linked bonus ?
(b)What are your career prospects in that company? Will the company provide an increment of (say atleast 6% of gross) every year?
(c) Will you be able to change jobs without a ban? (Normally if you are in the financial services sector, you won't get a ban)
(d)Working hours, 5 day week?
(e) Private Medical Insurance?

Good Luck with your decision then!
IG
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

nodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to allnodd is a name known to all

Thank you all very much for your information i've put all those questions to them so hopefully i'll get the right answers.

could i ask anyone what insurance do people use over there they said i'm covered onsite but for normal day things i'll need it. they said BUPA or CIGNA

your answers have really put me at ease and i'm looking forward to it now if i meet ye i'll have to get a pint (well maybe a half)

Thanx