British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   moving to Dubai (need advice) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-need-advice-799819/)

Kirsty94 Jun 11th 2013 3:57 pm

moving to Dubai (need advice)

My boyfriend recently became unemployed from his job and is thinking of moving to Dubai to become a P.E teacher after previously working in a primary school, he wants me to go with him, however I am 19 years old and was wondering whether it would be easy to get a job out there with a Travel and Tourism diploma? And would they provide accommodation for myself? as we don't want to get married due to only being together for a year, so cant live together?

mikewot Jun 11th 2013 4:14 pm

Re: moving to Dubai (need advice)

Legally you cannot live together, but lots of people do. P.E. teacher, very tough market. For you try here but I think you'll be lucky and highly unlikely to find an employer who would pay accom. http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_jobs.aspx

Kirsty94 Jun 11th 2013 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10751826)
Legally you cannot live together, but lots of people do. P.E. teacher, very tough market. For you try here but I think you'll be lucky and highly unlikely to find an employer who would pay accom. http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_jobs.aspx

No we weren't planning to, so is it possible to get a job that will provide me accommodation ?

mikewot Jun 11th 2013 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kirsty94 (Post 10751831)
so is it possible to get a job that will provide me accommodation ?

Highly unlikely unless you have a highly marketable skill. Bear in mind that out here people from the Indian sub continent will do jobs for a fraction of a Western Expats costs, don't expect accommodation and are smilingly happy to do so.

Kirsty94 Jun 11th 2013 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10751836)
Highly unlikely unless you have a highly marketable skill. Bear in mind that out here people from the Indian sub continent will do jobs for a fraction of a Western Expats costs, don't expect accommodation and are smilingly happy to do so.

hmm I see, so it would be a case of having to save to pay for accommodation.... If my boyfriend got a teaching job, do they provide accommodation for him, or again would he have to pay for his own ?

mikewot Jun 11th 2013 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kirsty94 (Post 10751846)
If my boyfriend got a teaching job, do they provide accommodation for him, or again would he have to pay for his own ?

Depends on the job. Bear in mind that PE teachers/Personal Trainers are, not sure how to put this but not intended derogatorily, 10 a penny out here.

Kirsty94 Jun 11th 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10751865)
Depends on the job. Bear in mind that PE teachers/Personal Trainers are, not sure how to put this but not intended derogatorily, 10 a penny out here.

Stressful, but thank you :)

Dean2013 Jun 12th 2013 11:37 pm

Hi, i'm a personal trainer living in the uk and thinking of moving over to Dubai later this year! I was thinking to work P/T and freelance, is that possible?

thx

Quackers Jun 13th 2013 3:57 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10751836)

This is the Middle East. They 'pay peanuts and employ monkeys' :thumbdown:

mikewot Jun 13th 2013 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Quackers (Post 10754397)
This is the Middle East. They 'pay peanuts and employ monkeys' :thumbdown:

Speak for yourself.

the_red_sheep Jun 13th 2013 6:27 am

Mike re PE teachers, I don’t 100% agree. Most good schools would want a fully qualified PE teachers, and the British/American schools do still like having expat staff in at least key positions. There’s also a shortage of male teaching staff in lots of positions.

Most British/American schools give accommodation (or an allowance for it), its often in blocks full of other teachers from the same school, so sharing as an unmarried couple could be more risky than if you were in a block not surrounded by colleagues.

mentalist Jun 13th 2013 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Dean2013 (Post 10754163)
Hi, i'm a personal trainer living in the uk and thinking of moving over to Dubai later this year! I was thinking to work P/T and freelance, is that possible?
thx

It's doable but you need to cultivate the right connections. Patsy Stoned seems to have thrived at it.:thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 13th 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10754502)
Mike re PE teachers, I don’t 100% agree. Most good schools would want a fully qualified PE teachers, and the British/American schools do still like having expat staff in at least key positions. There’s also a shortage of male teaching staff in lots of positions.

Most British/American schools give accommodation (or an allowance for it), its often in blocks full of other teachers from the same school, so sharing as an unmarried couple could be more risky than if you were in a block not surrounded by colleagues.

AGreed.

The mrs is a fully qualified PE teacher. Get's an apartment provided and works with 5 other people in the PE department at a primary school.

Parent's love getting their fat ****wit kids into sports and clubs, so PE is a big dept.

Millhouse Jun 13th 2013 3:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxovzT2o4IE

Patsy Stoned Jun 14th 2013 1:59 am

Depends on the job. Bear in mind that under qualified/gym hobbyist PE teachers/Personal Trainers are, not sure how to put this but not intended derogatorily, 10 a penny out here.

Amended that for you sweetie.