Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai to look for opportunities

Moving to Dubai to look for opportunities

Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

UrbanGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Moving to Dubai to look for opportunities

Hello Everyone,

I am heading to Dubai in the first week of March to look for opportunities out there and I'm really getting worried as the time gets closer as I have still not found a place to stay yet. Most of the places that I've seen are advertised at sky high prices worser that London prices.

I was really hoping that you guys could provide me with some useful advice and tips for a newbie to get started.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Dubai to look for opportunities

....get a return ticket...
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice

Try somewhere else, no jobs here
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Abu Dhabi instead...even their banks are getting help from the government...and you can watch Andrea Bocelli and Cold Play on consecutive nights.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

saleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nice

Your kidding, right?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:07 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yup, sorry for the doom and gloom, but the prices you see are what you get - this place is expensive! Also, I'd venture that the days of turning up and getting interviews are gone... there are loads of redundant people here who are scratching around.

If you really want to come out the the Middle East, try Saudi, Oman... not Dubai.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B Bear
....get a return ticket...
I agree!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

UrbanGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that the situation is pretty bad there as it is here in London and everywhere. I will be made redundant very soon here and that is the reason I've decided to take a plunge.

I am very well educated and have worked in IT and Business Development roles so, I'd like to try my luck and really hope for the best.

Is the competition greater out there in comparison to London?

Really appreciate the advise guys!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UrbanGeek
I know that the situation is pretty bad there as it is here in London and everywhere. I will be made redundant very soon here and that is the reason I've decided to take a plunge.

I am very well educated and have worked in IT and Business Development roles so, I'd like to try my luck and really hope for the best.

Why do we bother replying if you completely ignore what we say?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shadya
Why do we bother replying if you completely ignore what we say?
Why not try explaining the situation here instead of being rude. They are just asking a question and believe it or not, not everyone knows the situation in Dubai. Just because we are here and hear about it everyday doesn't mean everybody else knows about it.

People come on here to seek advice, then they get answers like 'get a return ticket', 'no jobs here' etc. Instead of giving pishy answers why not try and explain the situation to people.

Just my opinion!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:37 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes
Why not try explaining the situation here instead of being rude. They are just asking a question and believe it or not, not everyone knows the situation in Dubai. Just because we are here and hear about it everyday doesn't mean everybody else knows about it.

People come on here to seek advice, then they get answers like 'get a return ticket', 'no jobs here' etc. Instead of giving pishy answers why not try and explain the situation to people.

Just my opinion!!
Lionheart is bad enough, but when he posts as Shadya he just gets bitchy...take no notice...
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:57 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UrbanGeek

I will have to agree with the sentiments of many of the others here.
It will be a waste of your time and money.

If you are in IT, you will be competeing against Indians/Asians who all have degrees,PHD's and qualifications coming out of their arse (even if they are just bits of paper and they have no "real world" experience.

Not only that, these people are happy to work 25 hours a day, 8 days a week for $5 a week
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:01 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind explaining. Basically, here in Dubai there have been thousands of redundancies. People who have been made redundant are invariably all very well qualified and educated in their fields - that's why they were brought/came out here in the first place.

Those who have been made redundant also have the added incentive of having to find another job here in Dubai or move back home pretty sharpish. Companies know this and are therefore tailoring whatever offers they may have to suit the market... they also know that by employing someone who's already here, they'll have gained an employee already with ME experience AND won't have to pay relocation bonusses, visas, etc... which in this climate all adds up.

All in all, I'd say that the situation is indeed more desperate here. People have bills to pay, but unlike in the UK, you can't skip a loan/credit card repayment. People have school fees to pay, medical insurance to take on if their company is no longer providing it for them... the list goes on.

By all means come over and take your chance - you may get lucky - but expect to come away a couple of thousand pounds worse off than when you arrived.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:03 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Not only that, these people are happy to work 25 hours a day, 8 days a week for $5 a week
And that's the senior management.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Lionheart is bad enough, but when he posts as Shadya he just gets bitchy...take no notice...
ahhh...but does he wear the dragonmart knickers to get into the mood, that's the question...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.