British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Dubai and Leaving UK property empty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-leaving-uk-property-empty-875540/)

Mrogz Apr 7th 2016 3:32 pm

Moving to Dubai and Leaving UK property empty

Hi all,

I have a job offer (teaching) in Dubai starting in August. However, I have just had an offer accepted on a cheap flat in the UK. I would like to continue with the purchase but what costs will I have to be aware of whilst away? Council tax etc? I cant rent it as i will be putting a small deposit down.
The mortgage is only around £280 per month and my salary will be 12000 AED. Should I be able to pay everything (apartment in Dubai provided, just utilities to pay) and still live a little?!

Any advice/experiences would be great to hear. Thanks!

Pulaski Apr 7th 2016 3:38 pm

Re: Moving to Dubai and Leaving UK property empty

Insurance may be an issue if the property is vacant for an extended period.

If you don't have anything in it, insuring the structure should be relatively achievable, but if you use it as a warehouse for any personal possessions, you may have great difficulty obtaining contents insurance.

mikelincs Apr 8th 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Mrogz (Post 11916355)
Hi all,

I have a job offer (teaching) in Dubai starting in August. However, I have just had an offer accepted on a cheap flat in the UK. I would like to continue with the purchase but what costs will I have to be aware of whilst away? Council tax etc? I cant rent it as i will be putting a small deposit down.
The mortgage is only around £280 per month and my salary will be 12000 AED. Should I be able to pay everything (apartment in Dubai provided, just utilities to pay) and still live a little?!

You will have to pay council tax on it and any charges due, and insurances will be very difficult as there usually have clauses stating that the insurance will lapse if the place is unoccupied for x weeks.

Millhouse Apr 8th 2016 10:45 am

rent it out. Get someone else to pay a bit of the mortgage off while you are away.

Bahtatboy Apr 8th 2016 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mrogz (Post 11916355)
Hi all,

Is renting a prohibition imposed by your mortgage provider?

mikelincs Apr 8th 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11917166)
Is renting a prohibition imposed by your mortgage provider?

Buy to let mortgages have a higher repayment % and may also be for less time, and with the new rules that came into force April 1st, they are nowhere near as easy to get.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 5:38 am

Also, I think it affects the amount of days you can spend in the UK and remain tax free....it's based on ties and things. Would really limit your summer / easter / xmas holidays as going back to UK wouldn't be an option.

Check google and HMRC website.

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11918582)
Also, I think it affects the amount of days you can spend in the UK and remain tax free....it's based on ties and things. Would really limit your summer / easter / xmas holidays as going back to UK wouldn't be an option.

Check google and HMRC website.

you're right, it does. A rented property doesn't.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918586)
you're right, it does. A rented property doesn't.

:thumbup:

Knew someone else would have the specifics.

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11918629)
:thumbup:

Knew someone else would have the specifics.

I've glossed over a lot of detail in my reply though!

Meow Apr 10th 2016 7:41 am

You call that detail? :rolleyes:

One connecting factor, such as a property available for use, will not make a difference. Someone with just one connecting factor can theoretically spend up to 183 days in the UK without being considered resident. That changes however if work is carried out whilst there.

https://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/i...esidency-test/

The OP would need the permission of the lender to rent the property and must ensure that it is properly insured. Those will be clauses in the mortgage agreement.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11918641)

One connecting factor, such as a property available for use, will not make a difference. Someone with just one connecting factor can theoretically spend up to 183 days in the UK without being considered resident. That changes however if work is carried out whilst there.

The OP would need the permission of the lender to rent the property and must ensure that it is properly insured. Those will be clauses in the mortgage agreement.

There we go. I didn't want to call out your name and make you reply, but hoped you would. :thumbup:

Meow Apr 10th 2016 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11918645)
There we go. I didn't want to call out your name and make you reply, but hoped you would. :thumbup:

Just refer people to my website... ;)

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11918641)

there's the detail I glossed over. It also depends on the kids, the other ties and if he was non-resident last year. But you can piss for longer than me in this competition, I know what I know from filling out my tax return and reading the rules as they applied to me :lol:

Meow Apr 10th 2016 10:38 am

Competition? :rolleyes:

It's not a competition, it's called giving facts and of course I know more about this topic as it's what I do every sodding day. :rolleyes:

Do you have to be so rude/sarcastic all the time? :zzz: