Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving from Dubai to Kuwait!!

Moving from Dubai to Kuwait!!

Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:33 am
peewee

mmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant future
Default Moving from Dubai to Kuwait!!

Hi folks, not signed in for ages and I hope you all can help me. Finally, after a couple of years in the planning me and my boyfriend finally got to Dubai from the UK. We moved out in March for two main reasons, to save money and for a better lifestyle (in that order).

Despite reading everyones previous threads about how it is really hard to save money in Dubai, I think everyone is talking rubbish that you cannot save in the first year or so. We are not in the best paying jobs and have managed to save over £6000!!, and no, we do not live in Sharjah!!

Okay, the reason for my thread is, (and hopefully I get a reply now that I have scorned you all) my boyfriend has been offered a job in Kuwait and it is for almost double the salary what he is getting at the moment. I have absolutely no idea what it is like there and would welcome your advice. His prospective employers are willing to fly me out there to see it but I would really like to know what it is like to live in for a female.

Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Dubai to Kuwait!!

Originally Posted by mmooney View Post
Okay, the reason for my thread is, (and hopefully I get a reply now that I have scorned you all) my boyfriend has been offered a job in Kuwait and it is for almost double the salary what he is getting at the moment. I have absolutely no idea what it is like there and would welcome your advice. His prospective employers are willing to fly me out there to see it but I would really like to know what it is like to live in for a female.

Thanks everyone.
First response is probably that there's less to do in terms of drinking/clubbing but if you've saved that princely sum then maybe those activities aren't such high priority for you anyway

I've heard they're much more conservative in Kuwait than the UAE, so I'm actually quite surprised that the employer would fly out an unmarried partner to see for herself, but I suppose that's a good sign for you...

SYB grew up in Kuwait...
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Having never lived in Kuwait I cant give any opinions there, other than to say that when I asked I was told good things. But I think the opportunities to spend are much less than Dubai so automatically you will save more. Doubliing salary will make a significant contribution there.

Also bear in mind that the Kuwaiti currency is no longer pegged to the dollar, so the value against the pound will not be hit by the downward spiralling US economy.

My reasons for moving to saudi was firstly to get away from the UK problems, but a very close second to save money. So I tried to work out how much I would be left with in saudi compared to the UK and found I was about £10K+ better off. So for me it was a no brainer, but if my wife worked in the UK then our deicision would not have been so clear cut.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20 View Post
First response is probably that there's less to do in terms of drinking/clubbing but if you've saved that princely sum then maybe those activities aren't such high priority for you anyway

I've heard they're much more conservative in Kuwait than the UAE, so I'm actually quite surprised that the employer would fly out an unmarried partner to see for herself, but I suppose that's a good sign for you...

SYB grew up in Kuwait...
That's a vicious rumour. I never grew up.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmooney View Post
Hi folks, not signed in for ages and I hope you all can help me. Finally, after a couple of years in the planning me and my boyfriend finally got to Dubai from the UK. We moved out in March for two main reasons, to save money and for a better lifestyle (in that order).

Despite reading everyones previous threads about how it is really hard to save money in Dubai, I think everyone is talking rubbish that you cannot save in the first year or so. We are not in the best paying jobs and have managed to save over £6000!!, and no, we do not live in Sharjah!!

Thanks everyone.
Hi Mooney,

My info on Kuwait is really quite dated - but I do have friends that still live there or have visited recently.

Yes, it is a dry state and you can't have a nice glass of wine with a meal, or go out clubbing. That said their is a black market, and some expats are capable of producing quite decent wines, beers and spirits at home - there is an active social scene of house parties etc.

It's nothing like as strict as Saudi, has some nice malls & leisure clubs.

It's really not that bad a place to live, the key to enjoying it is making friends. Unless you are deeply misanthropic by nature, of course.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:07 am
peewee

mmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant futuremmooney has a brilliant future

Thanks.

How much cheaper is accomodation as I am told I could get a one bed for 50AED a year. Does that sound right?

Also, we have bought 2 cars, does anyone know how easy it is to import our cars to Kuwait? Dont want to sell them,

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:22 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Good accn will cost you 600 to 1000 KD per month for a flat for a villa think about 1300 for a medium one. Flash place overlooking the sea is infinite!. You can underspend your housing allowance and live for free.

Kuwait is dry, cheap and people either love it or hate it - I love it personally, get out a lot and they say that in Kuwait you have time for other people. The driving is shit but the traffic is not as bad as Dubai.

You can ship cars here or drive them if you are clever.

Jazeera Airways does a weekend run at low cost for the drinkers to Dxb or Bahrein.

My instinct is for both of you to go for it. It is not easy for a spouse to get a job / work permit so try and negotiate a job for yourself at the interview. You'd be surprised what you can achieve if you ask.

Generally Kuwait is the best kept secret in the world. An unnatractive reputation (unfounded) means that salaries are high and it is well worth coming.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:22 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

How about this then. I have a floor of a huge house owned by a senior army officer. I was rooting around the fridge - nothing I could be bothered with and a knock on the door and his houseboy brought in a plate of food - Arab Mezze and two packs of dates! Enough to feed the whole family (who are in Africa at present).

This is the true spirit of Ramadan - or is it first make them poor with the rent and then feed the poor.

Well it does not happen every day in every house in Kuwait but...
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Reminds me of when I was in medina last. People were pulling me off the street to open my fast with them.