Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai in January

Moving to Dubai in January

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Smile Moving to Dubai in January

Hi All,

Have just joined the site and this is my first post so please be understanding if I post anything I shouldn't.

I have one burning question after reading a few posts on here regarding the various packages that people are on or being offered.

I am being offerred the following package:

Salary 230400,
Accomodation 130200,
Car allowance 24000.

All these figures are p.a.

Are these typical, good or indifferent figures to move over with.

Many thanks to all who reply.

Best regards,

Andy
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Dubai in January

It really depends on whether you have a family to support or not. If not, you should be able to cope.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:51 am
Banned

Big Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lionheart
It really depends on whether you have a family to support or not. If not, you should be able to cope.
Totally agree - If you have kids that need schooling get them to pay for it. In fact get it written into your package as most expat contracts have that plus air tickets home and other stuff. Sort out your final leaving award also ie 1/2 or 1 month per full year of work etc.
I do not live in Dubai anymore so unsure how much schooling is.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

hi andy...good to see a north walean on the board, lol...

yep, with a family you might struggle, rent is low, and you would defo want schooling paid for if you've got kids. Also, are they paying health cover etc...?

MM, xx
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Moving to Dubai in January

Our son is 18 in March 2008 and so they do not contribute anything to his keep etc from then on, they are providing BUPA Gold membership for the family.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:18 pm
Banned

Big Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant futureBig Geezer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AndyB123
Our son is 18 in March 2008 and so they do not contribute anything to his keep etc from then on, they are providing BUPA Gold membership for the family.
That's important. I guess that is global coverage ?

Can you use your allowance to buy a place ? I know this is another big debate but you may want to consider renting your place in the UK and buying something in Dubai. Loads of different opinions so why not open another thread on this?
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Have just joined the site and this is my first post so please be understanding if I post anything I shouldn't.

I have one burning question after reading a few posts on here regarding the various packages that people are on or being offered.

I am being offerred the following package:

Salary 230400,
Accomodation 130200,
Car allowance 24000.

All these figures are p.a.

Are these typical, good or indifferent figures to move over with.

Many thanks to all who reply.

Best regards,

Andy
Hi Andy, and welcome to The Bored.

Just an observation - the package seems a little unbalanced. I know of very few people earning less than AED 20k per month who would pay, or would be able to, or would even wish to, AED 130k per year for housing.

The benchmark in my profession seems to be three-to-one, that is the salary is three times the accommodation allowance. Since we can safely assume you wouldn't want to take a cut in housing, it might be worth trying to up the basic.

Just a thought - others will have their opinions.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

pedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nice

Hi there,

From my research, I would say your package is on the low end for a management type position (don't know what industry you're in). As mentioned by the others, if you were single, that would be enough to live pretty good (restaraunts, nice apartment, weekends out) and still be able to pocket a little. With a family....I really wouldn't know. If you're 18 year old is coming with you; sounds like a good time to introduce him to the "work force" and collect a little rent from him, HA....hey, he's got to learn sometime!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Thanks for the reply, I will be employed as 'Regional Technical Manager' with a large UK based Environmental Analytical services organisation. The role callls for quite a lot of travel in the area between places such as the Oman, Kuwaite, Saudi, Bahrain, in fact the area covered is prety much all of the MIddle East.

Looking at costs I am fast comming to the conclusion that this offer needs to be beefed up quite a lot and by my reckoning should be of the order of 55k/month plus allowance for other items such as car/education etc.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I really think I need to leave Dubai because its obvious Im on crap money here. but a large part of my income should be end of year bonus but as a new company this year it will be negligible

I'm on a damn site less than you will be getting and manage ok but Im single.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:20 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Geezer
In fact get it written into your package as most expat contracts have that
Most? Maybe a few years ago, but not any more.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:20 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I really think I need to leave Dubai because its obvious Im on crap money here. but a large part of my income should be end of year bonus but as a new company this year it will be negligible

I don't really 'do' money....but I am amazed as some of the figures flying around to be honest...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I don't really 'do' money....but I am amazed as some of the figures flying around to be honest...
well i took a low salary out here because I needed to get back into my industry after 3 wasted years studying law. but even so my package is a damn site lower than the figures mentioned on here!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Thanks for the reply, I will be employed as 'Regional Technical Manager' with a large UK based Environmental Analytical services organisation. The role callls for quite a lot of travel in the area between places such as the Oman, Kuwaite, Saudi, Bahrain, in fact the area covered is prety much all of the MIddle East.

Looking at costs I am fast comming to the conclusion that this offer needs to be beefed up quite a lot and by my reckoning should be of the order of 55k/month plus allowance for other items such as car/education etc.
55k/month plus allowance??? That's Managing Director/General Manager salary!!!

Stay away!!! What you're getting now should be normal... We're getting incredibly ridiculous salary figures and advices out of our members lately...
Originally Posted by MataHari
Aye,exactly... It feels like people are speculating salaries as if it is the stock market...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:27 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

well i took a low salary out here because I needed to get back into my industry after 3 wasted years studying law. but even so my package is a damn site lower than the figures mentioned on here!
yeah...you have posted about this before...
Having kids and the whole schoolthing out here does make it necessary to have a good package...but 55k a month plus expenses, schooling etc for a Technical Manager seems excessive...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.