Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai Help please

Moving to Dubai Help please

Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:31 am
Just Joined

big gyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Dubai Help please

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Why pay 180k - 200k for the Ranches when you get something in Al Barsha (like my place) which would be twice if not three times bigger than an Emaar property. Just because she doesn't drive doesn't mean she has to live on a *housing estate*. Taxi's can be easy to get at off peak times and in the winter you can walk to a few malls.

daft question (i think) but is Al Barsha near the Al Muntazah villa complex? that complex is one that someone else has recommended to me but i cant find much info on it online.
a big part of where i look to live is what nursery/school i can get for my 3 year old

Also, i spoke to my wife last night and she now has every intention of driving or at least trying to drive there
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by big gyp
daft question (i think) but is Al Barsha near the Al Muntazah villa complex? that complex is one that someone else has recommended to me but i cant find much info on it online.
a big part of where i look to live is what nursery/school i can get for my 3 year old

Also, i spoke to my wife last night and she now has every intention of driving or at least trying to drive there
Al Muntazah is in Jebel Ali village - immediately next door to Jebel Ali Primary School. JAPS is popular and I've heard of people having to put their kids names down years in advance to get a place for FS1/FS2

Closest mall is Ibn Buttuta (walkable when the weather is cooler)
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Deckchair anyone?

that better be fresh popcorn
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Al Barsha 1 is the area behind Mall of the Emirates, google maps it, handy area close to malls. In Al Barsha is Seashell nursery which is about 5 mins from where I am. My daughter is at Regent School and they offer KG1 and KG2. www.risdxb.com (I think)
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that you fly here.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:10 am
Just Joined

big gyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would suggest that you fly here.

we were there in March so she has a fair idea of what it is like (or can be like)

she will just need a bit of confidence
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:15 am
Concierge

we were there in March so she has a fair idea of what it is like (or can be like)

first few times out are a bit scary but yes she will get used to it
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Italian cities are way way worse to drive in than here, and the roads are better.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You wife really will need to drive darling.... if she wants to be out and about with your child, using taxis really is not an option, unless she wants to cart a child car seat around with her. Driving here is fine, you just need to be confident. I was used to driving in Central London... here is not dissimilar. :-D

* @ BC..darling, the plural of taxi is taxis.....not Taxi's.This is Patsy... filling in for Meow..the grammar queen
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:51 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
You wife really will need to drive darling.... if she wants to be out and about with your child, using taxis really is not an option, unless she wants to cart a child car seat around with her. Driving here is fine, you just need to be confident. I was used to driving in Central London... here is not dissimilar. :-D

* @ BC..darling, the plural of taxi is taxis.....not Taxi's.This is Patsy... filling in for Meow..the grammar queen
my humble apologies Patsy

Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
my humble apologies Patsy

Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's fine driving here.

My Mrs hated the idea at first but it's needed to get anywhere easily to be honest.

The main thing is to not **** about and to just be confident. Some of the worst driving I see here is people indicating and trying but not really, or slowing to change lanes but bottling it, then panicking, then indicating again and then someone gets impatient and undertakes, then they're stuck there....etc.

9/10 they are more likely to cause an accident than someone sat in your exhaust at 120km/h (I've tested this, left foot braking....he didn't hit me but boy did he get shouty).
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:43 am
Just Joined

rajnishdas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I am expected to relocate from the UK to Dubai towards the end of the year. I will be moving with my wife (31) and my two kids (3 & 3 months).

Can i ask where is the best area to stay in for a family of 4, say with a budget of up to 180k-200k (min 3 bed). Would prefer a villa with a garden for the kids (apartments on a high floor and balcony terrify me because of the kids)

My wife wouldnt be working (looking after the baby) and potentially not driving (but hopefully she will) so i would be looking for somewhere that has a nice community feel to it (hopefully my wife and kids to meet some friends), secure, and has playparks, pool for kids, supermarkets etc all nearby and hopefully a gym. hopefully the area is close enough to nurseries/schools for my 3 year old

Also, would anyone roughly have an idea what my monthly outgoings would be for a family of 4. My accomodation would be covered through my allowance that my work will give me and i also get a cost of living allowance, so really i would be paying for gas, electricity, phone/internet/tv, air con(?), food shopping and anything else anyone can think of.
i know there will be costs for going out for meals, doing things with the kids etc which is fine but im hoping to work out how much i would have left for doing all that after my monthly out-goings.

i also get a car allowance ( amount TBC but approx $10k a year) what is best? buy?lease?rent?. i would be in Dubai for 2-3 years. I would be hoping to get a big family car/4x4/SUV which would accomodate my family and suitcases.

Apologies for the long email but any suggestions and feedback are most welcome and greatly appreciated
many thanks in advance
Dear Big Gyp,

I am moving to Dubai from London although I have lived there before I arrived in London 7 years ago.I can assuredly say that your budget is good enough for your requirement there are great choices of villas in ranches,greens,jumeirah and many more.Dubai has almost 91% expat population so making friends should not be a problem, I would not be able to comment on outgoings because it can differentiate but that again should not be a problem because the most expensive one is the rent (which you have company paid ...lucky). I am dreaming about a Toyota land cruiser and would definitely recommend to buy,if you like to drive you can take it in the desert for some off road fun it is also is a safe car as the passengers are quite high up NO CAR TAX and petrol is 34p/litres why not....
I hope it helps feel free if you have any more questions.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Welcome to BE
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

mejerrysam is an unknown quantity at this point

Mirdiff would be a good place to live in Dubai. You can get good cost effective flats here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.