Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai Help please

Moving to Dubai Help please

Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:35 am
Just Joined

big gyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai Help please

Hi All

I am expected to relocate from the UK to Dubai towards the end of the year. I will be moving with my wife (31) and my two kids (3 & 3 months).

Can i ask where is the best area to stay in for a family of 4, say with a budget of up to 180k-200k (min 3 bed). Would prefer a villa with a garden for the kids (apartments on a high floor and balcony terrify me because of the kids)

My wife wouldnt be working (looking after the baby) and potentially not driving (but hopefully she will) so i would be looking for somewhere that has a nice community feel to it (hopefully my wife and kids to meet some friends), secure, and has playparks, pool for kids, supermarkets etc all nearby and hopefully a gym. hopefully the area is close enough to nurseries/schools for my 3 year old

Also, would anyone roughly have an idea what my monthly outgoings would be for a family of 4. My accomodation would be covered through my allowance that my work will give me and i also get a cost of living allowance, so really i would be paying for gas, electricity, phone/internet/tv, air con(?), food shopping and anything else anyone can think of.
i know there will be costs for going out for meals, doing things with the kids etc which is fine but im hoping to work out how much i would have left for doing all that after my monthly out-goings.

i also get a car allowance ( amount TBC but approx $10k a year) what is best? buy?lease?rent?. i would be in Dubai for 2-3 years. I would be hoping to get a big family car/4x4/SUV which would accomodate my family and suitcases.

Apologies for the long email but any suggestions and feedback are most welcome and greatly appreciated
many thanks in advance
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:42 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai Help please

Originally Posted by big gyp
Hi All

I am expected to relocate from the UK to Dubai towards the end of the year. I will be moving with my wife (31) and my two kids (3 & 3 months).

Can i ask where is the best area to stay in for a family of 4, say with a budget of up to 180k-200k (min 3 bed). Would prefer a villa with a garden for the kids (apartments on a high floor and balcony terrify me because of the kids)

My wife wouldnt be working (looking after the baby) and potentially not driving (but hopefully she will) so i would be looking for somewhere that has a nice community feel to it (hopefully my wife and kids to meet some friends), secure, and has playparks, pool for kids, supermarkets etc all nearby and hopefully a gym. hopefully the area is close enough to nurseries/schools for my 3 year old

Also, would anyone roughly have an idea what my monthly outgoings would be for a family of 4. My accomodation would be covered through my allowance that my work will give me and i also get a cost of living allowance, so really i would be paying for gas, electricity, phone/internet/tv, air con(?), food shopping and anything else anyone can think of.
i know there will be costs for going out for meals, doing things with the kids etc which is fine but im hoping to work out how much i would have left for doing all that after my monthly out-goings.

i also get a car allowance ( amount TBC but approx $10k a year) what is best? buy?lease?rent?. i would be in Dubai for 2-3 years. I would be hoping to get a big family car/4x4/SUV which would accomodate my family and suitcases.

Apologies for the long email but any suggestions and feedback are most welcome and greatly appreciated
many thanks in advance
Please do a search on cost of living in Dubai, the question gets asked and answered on a regular basis, you have said whatnot likely allowances are but not your basic salary, how old are the kids as school fees are expensive .
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:47 am
Just Joined

i have a 3 year old who would go to nursery, she wouldnt go to school until she is 5 (march). my other is 3 months old and my wife would be watching her so no need for nursery
school fee is something that i will be asking my employer to cover so wouldnt be cost that will come out of my pocket

salary which has to be confirmed is looking approx AED 220k per year
Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Mirdif would be my recommendation. Reasonable villa rental, all amenities close by (super markets, hospitals, gyms, malls, schools etc etc) and a good expat community.

If your Mrs aint driving, however, it could be a bit of pain as it's not exactly close to 'new Dubai' etc.

Where are you going to be working?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:07 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762609 Info on costs in this thread

AED 180k is enough for a 3 bed villa in many areas, but no longer everywhere. You haven't said where you'll be working as no point recommending a place to live that's a long drive from work. Dubai is a very spread out place.

If you are only planning on living in Dubai for three years, you should watch your dates as you could have a potential UK income tax liability for partial years out.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Work is roughly in dubai media/internet City

Thanks jam25 I had seen mirdiff on some of my searches but I think it might be a bit far out for my wife but it's still one certainly worth considering.

Meow - Thanks, what is the tax implications you mention? I tried to do some searches but couldn't find anything. If or when the move happens my work give me a contact at kmpg to speak to so I can check all this tax stuff but it would be good to know beforehand.

Thanks v much for taking time to reply, appreciated
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:21 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks jam25 I had seen mirdiff on some of my searches but I think it might be a bit far out for my wife but it's still one certainly worth considering.

Meow - Thanks, what is the tax implications you mention? I tried to do some searches but couldn't find anything. If or when the move happens my work give me a contact at kmpg to speak to so I can check all this tax stuff but it would be good to know beforehand.

Couldn't find anything? There is loads in the HMRC website and a google search would bring up more, although watch your sources as UK tax for non-residents is much misunderstood, even by UK accountants.

Just because you are living and working overseas it doesn't mean that you are automatically UK non-resident for tax purposes. You have to be out of the UK for a full tax year to qualify and if you are non-resident for less than five full tax years, overseas income in partial years may be liable to UK tax.

From my own site: http://financialuae.me/2012/05/03/gu...ated-may-2012/

This link also connects to information about the Statutory Residency Test.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I'll take a look at the link.
Any recommendations on where to live? And best solution for a car?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe then look at.... Jumeriah Village Triangle, Al Barsha, Jebel Ali etc as they aren't far from DMC. Mirdif would be doable down Al Khail road (~20-25 mins when quiet and ~30-35 mins when busier).

Most areas will be a nightmare if she doesn't drive tho. As much as taxis & the metro are good you really cannot underestimate how ******* hot it gets here. Even waiting 2 mins to flag down a taxi is murder. Get her driving I say!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I feel dirty saying this... but The Springs. On account the wife isn't driving.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

...salary which has to be confirmed is looking approx AED 220k per year
Presumably that is a misprint as it only equates to AED18,333 per month, which is even less than I get and I'm paid peanuts.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Lol its a total misprint its 330k aed a year. God knows were I got 220k from well seeing I'm not an accountant.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Lol why do you feel dirty saying the springs millhouse?

Thanks jam25 I'll be doing my best to get her to drive don't you worry :-), and to be fair she seems to be coming round to the idea.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Lol why do you feel dirty saying the springs millhouse?
Imagine making everyone on a council estate in Milton Keynes a lottery winner - It's a bit like that.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I feel dirty saying this... but The Springs. On account the wife isn't driving.
Yup, Springs/Meadows is ideal for media city & non driving spouse. JVT/JVC is no good as there is no public transport and taxi's don't like to travel out there, for the same reason Victory Heights & Green Community is out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.