British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   moving to dubai end of may (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-end-may-603735/)

GnT Apr 15th 2009 5:40 pm

moving to dubai end of may

Hi everyone...posted on the Job discussion forum before to ask about hubbies job, anyway he's been out and loves it...i went the other week to check it out and view apartments and we've decided to live there so i move out in about 6 weeks after got everything sorted in the UK re renting house out, pricing up containers for furniture etc.

Since I will be new in the area and not getting a job myself to start off with (having a month or 2 off) would love to meet some new people and get to know the area...also my hubbies work has a place in the marina we can stay in before we rent a place ourselves..when i went over we were staying in the palace aparments (old town island) - he works in the burj tower so would like something close by, however it is quite pricey there....also looked around the old town (yansoon, reehan, residence, south ridge) - however i have been told about the greens, discovery gardens etc where we could get a lot more for our money and i keep checking out dubizzle. does anyone live there and can tell me what its like since i didnt venture out that far cos we can get 2 beds there for the same price and and less than in downtown ??

thanks

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2009 2:31 am

Re: moving to dubai end of may

what is your budget for accomodation? everywhere is dropping in price these days :)

GnT Apr 16th 2009 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7484215)
what is your budget for accomodation? everywhere is dropping in price these days :)

ideally I don't want to go over AED 120,000k, but if I managed to get a 2 bed for this in old town that would be great

FunnyFeline Apr 16th 2009 10:56 am

Hey GnT...I am in exactly the same boat as you..! Will be moving over at the end of May with my other half and I'll be having a bit of time off too (well, until my wedding in August)!
We looked at the Jumeirah Beach Residences apartments, and they are lovely. We are definitely hoping to rent there - a two bed. The prices are coming down, so you should get something good for your money.

If you want to meet up for a coffee when you arrive, PM me & I'll email you! :)

lionheart Apr 16th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7484474)
Hey GnT...I am in exactly the same boat as you..! Will be moving over at the end of May with my other half and I'll be having a bit of time off too (well, until my wedding in August)!
We looked at the Jumeirah Beach Residences apartments, and they are lovely. We are definitely hoping to rent there - a two bed. The prices are coming down, so you should get something good for your money.

What on earth is "lovely" about the JBR apartments? They are an eye-sore and need to be torn down. Surely there are much better places to choose from than that sprawling brown mess?

GnT Apr 16th 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7484474)

yeah i heard prices are coming down fast, but I do really like the old town, but will just have to see when i get over there what our budget will buy us. would like to meet up so will PM you some time....hope it works out for you

FunnyFeline Apr 16th 2009 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7484614)
What on earth is "lovely" about the JBR apartments? They are an eye-sore and need to be torn down. Surely there are much better places to choose from than that sprawling brown mess?

We visited some friends in there and loved their apartment & the location. Granted, they are not the most beautiful place, but the price is right for us "newbies" moving out there! We would eventually love a villa, but I'm not going to be working & won't have transport, so need to be close to some life!

We will also look in the Marina area, but we can't be any further away than that as the other half is working in the Jebel Ali port area.

FunnyFeline Apr 16th 2009 11:56 am

Originally Posted by GnT (Post 7484633)
yeah i heard prices are coming down fast, but I do really like the old town, but will just have to see when i get over there what our budget will buy us. would like to meet up so will PM you some time....hope it works out for you

Coolio...same back at ya GnT!

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7484640)
We visited some friends in there and loved their apartment & the location. Granted, they are not the most beautiful place, but the price is right for us "newbies" moving out there! We would eventually love a villa, but I'm not going to be working & won't have transport, so need to be close to some life!

We will also look in the Marina area, but we can't be any further away than that as the other half is working in the Jebel Ali port area.

try for a 2 bed on either Springs 1 or 2 :)

plucky Apr 17th 2009 6:12 am

Hi GnT,
My wife and I moved to Dubai in December and live in Dubai Marina.
If we can be of any help then fire over any questions you want.
If you are staying in the marina then we would also be happy to meet for a coffee and pass on any advice we can.
Regards.

typical Apr 17th 2009 6:17 am

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7484640)

Do check outside JBR in the Marina too. We're in JBR and it has advantages (location, views, size of apartments) and disadvantages (awful finishing, traffic volume and noise, no gyms, swimming pools used by weekend "visitors").

We like it overall, but when my rent's up for renewal we'll still consider moving elsewhere in the Marina.

FunnyFeline Apr 17th 2009 8:29 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 7486953)
Do check outside JBR in the Marina too. We're in JBR and it has advantages (location, views, size of apartments) and disadvantages (awful finishing, traffic volume and noise, no gyms, swimming pools used by weekend "visitors").

We like it overall, but when my rent's up for renewal we'll still consider moving elsewhere in the Marina.

Which building are you in, in JBR. We're moving over on 22nd May & considering a move to the JBR. Where would you recommend to move to?

We met a lovely couple who lived in Amwaj 2 and they said that Amwaj 2 & 3 were the best in their area because they did have gyms in the buildings. We'll have 1-2 months to look around, so any advice would be great!

typical Apr 17th 2009 8:41 am

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7487177)
Which building are you in, in JBR. We're moving over on 22nd May & considering a move to the JBR. Where would you recommend to move to?

We met a lovely couple who lived in Amwaj 2 and they said that Amwaj 2 & 3 were the best in their area because they did have gyms in the buildings. We'll have 1-2 months to look around, so any advice would be great!

We're in Rimal. Yes, Amwaj is the only sector with gyms right now - they're run by a different management company. The rest of JBR, well we were promised gyms by the end of 2007...

I have friends on the other side of the marina paying less for more (in terms of quality if not space). Now the Marina Mall and Yacht Club are open, there are some nice options for shopping and eating/drinking without being by The Walk or Marina Walk.

A lot of the newer buildings around the Marina do have much nicer finishing, from what I've heard. You might even find one where the windows open...

FunnyFeline Apr 17th 2009 9:37 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 7487202)
We're in Rimal. Yes, Amwaj is the only sector with gyms right now - they're run by a different management company. The rest of JBR, well we were promised gyms by the end of 2007...

I have friends on the other side of the marina paying less for more (in terms of quality if not space). Now the Marina Mall and Yacht Club are open, there are some nice options for shopping and eating/drinking without being by The Walk or Marina Walk.

A lot of the newer buildings around the Marina do have much nicer finishing, from what I've heard. You might even find one where the windows open...

Yeah, that was a thing I didn't like. Not being able to open the windows in the bedrooms. We were also told that Amwaj 2 & 3 were probably the best of the bunch, in regard to who run them.

There seems to be a great selection of places now on Dubizzle though! Looking forward to looking around. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2009 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7487363)
Yeah, that was a thing I didn't like. Not being able to open the windows in the bedrooms. We were also told that Amwaj 2 & 3 were probably the best of the bunch, in regard to who run them.

There seems to be a great selection of places now on Dubizzle though! Looking forward to looking around. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

I would rather go to the Shoreline apartments on the Palm :)