Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai Am i wise???

Moving to Dubai Am i wise???

Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

muckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nicemuckman03 is just really nice
Default Moving to Dubai Am i wise???

Hi

I have just been offered a job in Dubai as a Senior Chartered Surveyor, I am 31 and have lived in Northern Ireland all of those days. I have rarely travelled and have been told Dubai is a pretty nice place to go and work. I know every one goes on about tax free and everything else but it would not really be these benefits which would make me accept the offer.
I would like to see a bit of the world and meet new people.

Would any one have any advice for me.

I do like a drink as most of us Irish do.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:19 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai Am i wise???

Originally Posted by muckman03
Hi

I have just been offered a job in Dubai as a Senior Chartered Surveyor, I am 31 and have lived in Northern Ireland all of those days. I have rarely travelled and have been told Dubai is a pretty nice place to go and work. I know every one goes on about tax free and everything else but it would not really be these benefits which would make me accept the offer.

Hi MM and welcome Don't think its just the irish that like to drink here
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:05 am
Follow Your Heart

ZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud ofZooZ has much to be proud of

Hi MM...
Well I am sure many of the Dubai members will give you all sorts of info.. however.. I can tell you that since me and my wife (and I am now your age) decided to become Expats few years ago.. we just never looked back.. we have been to places that had very little to offer from infrastructure i.e. electricity, water, roads, shopping.. and we enjoyed every bit of it.. I just cannot imagine us enjoying going back to the UK as much as we enjoy being Expats.. and Dubai is a truly cosmopolitan place with all the infrastructure and luxury you want (except public transport).. and it is not cheaop either..

Some expats just roam the pubs.. they are there for the money and a bit of home.. and that does it for them..

others get more involved with the culture and make international friends and do things they never get the chance to do at home.. and seriously learn a lot.. and that does it for them too..

and where ever ther are expats.. there is ... lots of

Hope you enjoy it
ZooZ
Old Sep 8th 2005, 10:01 am
Just Joined

hm_250 will become famous soon enough

Hi MM,

If you're really not too sure, why not take one of the relatively cheap and cheerful trips that are currently available (3-5 nights) and come over to check it out?

As an expat brat for the past 30 yrs, it's hard for me to recall honestly just how much of a culture shock a move like this is: some ppl love it from day one, others simply cannot settle.

If you're planning to move with your current employer, that's one thing. However you should be aware that mobility of labour is VERY limited here, and it's important to take that into account. It's important that you're reasonably happy with your work - you're likely to find the hours long and the pressure high.

That being said, after 13 yrs in the Middle East, it's no hardship posting! I'd say 'go for it', but a quick trip might set your mind at rest. If you come over soon though, don't take too much notice of the weather....it's on the rather warm side still. Give it a month, and it will be gorgeous, right through to April.

Best of luck on your decision making!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:02 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hm_250
However you should be aware that mobility of labour is VERY limited here, and it's important to take that into account
Ideally, try and find a job inside one of the free zones... if you do, you cannot be banned if you find another job, but you do still need an approval certificate from your existing employer in order to transfer your visa to the new employer.

It's important that you're reasonably happy with your work - you're likely to find the hours long and the pressure high
Is this the right place to say - not with *my* job?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:39 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muckman03
Hi

Welcome MM03

If you've any doubts, don't come - some love it, some hate it and some just don't care where they live - global tramps!!!

Whats the worst that can happen???

Personally, i'de say go for it, and like hm (who?) said , come out for a few days and try it for size,

Take it easy
TS
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:22 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Welcome MM03

If you've any doubts, don't come - some love it, some hate it and some just don't care where they live - global tramps!!!

Whats the worst that can happen???

Personally, i'de say go for it, and like hm (who?) said , come out for a few days and try it for size,

Take it easy
TS
I personally think you are quite lucky. Every week there are hoards of people who fly out with the intention of getting a job and staying....most fly back skint and gutted.

The weather should be good for the next six months..why not fly out and give it a go.
Even if it is not for you, Dubai is currently involved with some of the most ambitous building projects in the world...and that would look great on you CV!!, as will exposure to working on an international level.

Rgds
JD
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Trapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Moving to Dubai Am i wise???

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I personally think you are quite lucky. Every week there are hoards of people who fly out with the intention of getting a job and staying....most fly back skint and gutted.
Really? :scared: :scared: :scared:

Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:49 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trapt777

Hi Trapt

Don't be put off, there are still plenty of "lucky ones" who come out here on the hope they fine a job etc. and do really well.

That could be you.

Zannie x
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:35 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zannie
Hi Trapt

Don't be put off, there are still plenty of "lucky ones" who come out here on the hope they fine a job etc. and do really well.

That could be you.

Zannie x
Indeed, but in reality it depends on what line of work you are in.

The people who do the best in Dubai are the ones who either get transferred by a US/UK company or those with their own business.

Granted, there are alot of people that find work in Dubai but the majority of times they already have a job and have built up a big network of contacts from which they can tap.

Although there are a fair few agencies, alot of people i know have got there new jobs by "knowing someone who knows someone...etc" thats the way it is out here.

The last thing I want to do is put anyone off....If you want it bad enough you will find a way...fact.

just trying to keep it real for all the Dick whittington's who may think the streets here are paved with gold!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:14 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trapt777

unfortunately, yes.

the lucky ones probably account for less than 5% of all those who try.

we get 2 or 3 people a day knocking on our door at work looking for a job and our office isnt exactly in a busy spot.

however it can be done, i did it. you just need to network like mad and have a healthy dose of luck.