Moving to Dubai

Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Dubai

I have applied for several jobs in Dubai area and one of them states it's 45 mins from there. I have tried to find which areas it might be in and if there are any expat communities that distance away, but to no avail. Can anyone enlighten me? Can anybody give me an idea of the cost of a 2-3 bedroom house (not apartment as got a dog) probably furnished for rent monthly?
What is the cost of utilities and internet per month?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai

45 min in which direction? By air, by boat by car?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be Ras Al-Khaimah. Why don't you ask them ? Time to swot up on the Geography of The Emirates. People say "Dubai" but they often mean "The United Arab Emirates"

Look at Wikipedia entries for Ras Al-Khaimah and maybe Fujeirah. Maybe read up on all the Emirates. What about Al-Ain in Abu Dhabi ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirate_of_Ras_Al_Khaimah

Last edited by scot47; Jan 21st 2020 at 9:46 am.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
It might be Ras Al-Khaimah. Why don't you ask them ? Time to swot up on the Geography of The Emirates. People say "Dubai" but they often mean "The United Arab Emirates"

Look at Wikipedia entries for Ras Al-Khaimah and maybe Fujeirah. Maybe read up on all the Emirates. What about Al-Ain in Abu Dhabi ?

They won't say until the interview stage but I'm guessing Palm Jumeira area. Just trying to get an idea of expenses. Maybe someone will give me some idea for utilities, rent and food per month?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

pratt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Holly, Sorry, can't answer your question as not in Dubai currently (hopefully one of the other resident experts will soon) but I've got a related query you may be able to help with please.

You mention you've applied for several roles - could I please ask how you went about it ? i.e. websites/recruiters/calls/meet people in person etc? Could I also please ask what industry you currently work in please?

I'm based in the UK and we, as a family, are looking at moving in a couple of years if everything aligns.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21st 2020, 1:54 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hollyhock
They won't say until the interview stage but I'm guessing Palm Jumeira area. Just trying to get an idea of expenses. Maybe someone will give me some idea for utilities, rent and food per month?
You’re guessing Palm Jumeirah but you don’t know. How can anyone give an idea of expenses when you can’t even say where the job is?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
You’re guessing Palm Jumeirah but you don’t know. How can anyone give an idea of expenses when you can’t even say where the job is?
I know getting off the palm is bad due to the traffic but for a 45min commute out of Dubai I’d put the palm at the bottom of my list of possibilities. Talk about wishful thinking.

I will put my money on RAK. Which is of course only a 45min drive at 5am on a Friday morning. The rest of the time it’s a solid 2hours in terrible traffic.

My positive contribution to this thread will be the advice to check-out dubizzle for rental costs.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I know getting off the palm is bad due to the traffic but for a 45min commute out of Dubai I’d put the palm at the bottom of my list of possibilities. Talk about wishful thinking.

I will put my money on RAK. Which is of course only a 45min drive at 5am on a Friday morning. The rest of the time it’s a solid 2hours in terrible traffic.

My positive contribution to this thread will be the advice to check-out dubizzle for rental costs.
Thanks Millhouse for your positive reply.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

As folk have said without further details its hard to say...

As someone who drives from Dubai over to the east coast and northern Emirates several times a week I can tell you, heading north or east isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone thinks as long as you are savvy on where you live. I live down by the Ranches (Mira - which is quite far south in Dubai) and it takes me 1hr exactly to get to Masafi in the morning with no traffic delays (E6111) as everyone is going the other way (Sharjah into Dubai). Similarly coming home at night you are heading in the opposite direction to the traffic. For Khorfakkan and Fujairah you need to add on about another 25 mins. RAK isn't 45 mins out of Dubai (unless you live in Al Qusais) but it isn't a kick in the arse over 1:15 mins out of 'Dubai' either. As such all are doable while still living in Dubai. Al Ain is another possibility but that's a good 1:30-1:45 out of Dubai.

What you need to appreciate is that Dubai is a relatively big, elongated and sprawling city. It can take you 40 mins to 1 hr to get from one end of the city to the other and that's when traffic is light..... and at rush hour that increases significantly. For example, if I am going into the office on Sheikh Zayed Road in the morning it takes me a good 45 mins and that's only 20km. I can do 120km easily in that time going north.

As such, without knowing where you are working and where you wish to live its a tricky / impossible question to answer.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47

I have been researching areas and will wait to see which employers respond.
Do you enjoy life in Dubai, is it safe where you live? Do you have any regrets or things you would have done differently?
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Do you enjoy life in Dubai
Its has its ups and downs. If you arrive ask someone to explain to you the 'shit bucket' mind set.

is it safe where you live?
Dubai and the Emirates in general is super safe.

Do you have any regrets or things you would have done differently?
Sure, who doesn't, we're only human. Currently regretting the curry from last night. None about coming here though. As for done differently, well they're all hindsight and questioning decisions based on that is pointless. You can't change the past, only slay the future.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 28th 2020, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jam25mack
it takes me a good 45 mins and that's only 20km. I can do 120km easily in that time going north.
Are the speed cameras even plugged in North of Sharjah?
Old Jan 28th 2020, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Sure are unfortunately....
Old Jan 31st 2020, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

daisydee is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubizzle/propertyfinder should give you an idea of rental properties. 45 minutes from Palm J doesn’t have to be RAK, at times getting from city point A to city point B may take 30-45 minutes.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Cypselos
The one on Emaar Boulevard that flashed me a few days ago ****ing is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.