British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   moving to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-872321/)

jam25mack Feb 28th 2016 8:50 am

Re: moving to Dubai

Is there no reciprocal relocation schemes for Po Po's? Doubt you get anything here as you don't speak the lingo but I think you may get somethnig in Oz, Canada or the US of A.

If your thinking of changing then I'm sure you'd do fine. As someone said, security is big business, and although they normally go the military route i'm sure they could find use for someone 'like yourself'.... tea boy maybe! ;-)

Millhouse Feb 28th 2016 8:51 am

Originally Posted by jamesb1502 (Post 11881504)
Still a current rozzer but would take a career break. Fancy a change from Blighty. What would you suggest would be an reasonable income for a family of 4 with two young school aged kids. Obviously I would like as higher standard of living as possible, but need to realistic, we want to be able to enjoy ourselves out there as if we can't afford to do it there would be no point going.

Where are the best sites to do job research?

So, we normally talk about salaries in AED/month

For a family of four... and you will be shocked by this number... you will need a collective pay of around 40-45k AED / month to maintain a reasonable life, 35k is just about break-even (and you'll be shoved in a 2 bed flat), 50k is starting to look more fun. This would be the total package inclusive of all flights/ accommodation etc. So yup, almost 7Gs a month when put into real money.

The teachers get around 15k all in. You'll have to find the 25k-30k+. It's not impossible, but you'll need to reinvent yourself as a consultant to the internal security forces here. You tend to see ex-military, not ex-police around but I'm no expert on this for sure.

I love the term rozzer.

jamesb1502 Feb 28th 2016 9:13 am

Ok thanks for your advice, food for thought.

Will keep researching and checking the posts.

I'm aware AUS and NZ are full of British cops, the last few recruitments they have run, I've had too much service.

jamesb1502 Feb 28th 2016 9:15 am

Hopefully going to be helping train some officers from Qatar in the summer, hopefully might help with the CV.

co durham boy Feb 28th 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jamesb1502 (Post 11881555)
Hopefully going to be helping train some officers from Qatar in the summer, hopefully might help with the CV.

There's a fair few ex coppers in Doha doing a bit of private security , haven't got as clue who you would contact though , i suppose just try and get some more information or try through some colleagues in your present job maybe.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 28th 2016 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jamesb1502 (Post 11881555)

Train them in what? Sleeping, milling about? deciding which of the two idiots crashed into the other?

Joking aside, it'll be useful experience and just talk to them all and ask about what work there is for you in the region, see who they know etc.

Get 'networking' on Linkedin as well. You might know some ex rozzers out in this neck of the woods already.

Failing all of that. Pay some idiot to commit a crime, solve it, then tell them they should employ you for being so good.

mikewot Feb 28th 2016 12:56 pm

I think the OP copper had the right idea with private security companies, hotels, big firms, big apartment blocks (think Burj Khalifa) etc. My son in law is a fully qualified UK paramedic and shift boss. He asked me about work here and I was quite dismissive as they're mainly Pilipino. However he found out himself that the big hotels, apartment blocks have medical staff on standby and a guy like him (shift boss) would be on a nice little earner.
Have a potential nephew in law (if thats right) who does close protection for the military but for him, unless you know someone on the inside, work is almost entirely ex military protection for O&G in sandy places.

jamesb1502 Feb 28th 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the hotel side.

LinkedIn sounds like an idea.

scot47 Feb 28th 2016 7:57 pm

Fluency in Urdu and Arabic might improve your chances.

jamesb1502 Feb 28th 2016 8:11 pm

Wouldn't mind learning Arabic. Got an introduction course when the Qatari officers arrive, wil have to see how I find it.