Moving to Dubai

Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

dylan1001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself as i will be moving to Dubai in a few weeks. I have to admit I am nervous but also looking forward the adventure. Myself, wife and 9 month old son will be staying in a place called JBR, is it any good?

Anyway, look forward to becoming part of the forum and hopefully seeing you all soon.

D
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai

Yep, it's very good IMHO. All the amenities you need. You and your family are sure to enjoy.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 10:42 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dylan1001
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself as i will be moving to Dubai in a few weeks. I have to admit I am nervous but also looking forward the adventure. Myself, wife and 9 month old son will be staying in a place called JBR, is it any good?

Anyway, look forward to becoming part of the forum and hopefully seeing you all soon.

D
Yep. Ignore those who call it a ghetto. They're just used to a much higher quality of living after being out here for so long. (What I mean is, there are much nicer places in Dubai, but JBR is a massive step up for anyone from the UK).

It's the ideal place for a family new to Dubai. It's between the beach and marina, plenty of shops, hotels (for drinking at), and activities.

Nice and close to Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Marina Mall, and Ibn Battuta Mall.

What part of JBR are you going to be staying in? There are traffic problems, but I learnt many tricks for avoiding it when I lived there.

More than happy to share them.

EDIT: Oh, and never ask a taxi to take you to The Walk. Always say the sector you live in and ask them to drop you off on the back road.

Last edited by auzdafluff; Aug 24th 2012 at 10:44 am.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

dylan1001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Yep. Ignore those who call it a ghetto. They're just used to a much higher quality of living after being out here for so long. (What I mean is, there are much nicer places in Dubai, but JBR is a massive step up for anyone from the UK).

It's the ideal place for a family new to Dubai. It's between the beach and marina, plenty of shops, hotels (for drinking at), and activities.

Nice and close to Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Marina Mall, and Ibn Battuta Mall.

What part of JBR are you going to be staying in? There are traffic problems, but I learnt many tricks for avoiding it when I lived there.

More than happy to share them.

EDIT: Oh, and never ask a taxi to take you to The Walk. Always say the sector you live in and ask them to drop you off on the back road.
Hey! Many thanks for the reply. I think it is Bahar..? What do you mean by a ghetto, that sounds pretty scary.... Is it that bad? Starting to get slightly nervous now...
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:45 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dylan1001
Hey! Many thanks for the reply. I think it is Bahar..? What do you mean by a ghetto, that sounds pretty scary.... Is it that bad? Starting to get slightly nervous now...
Haha. Bahar is fine. They only call it a ghetto because they're used to much nicer places. Like I said, JBR is miles ahead of most places you'll find in the UK.

Bahar, along with Rimal (next sector over), are the easiest to get into. It's simply a case of going from SZR, cutting through Dubai Marina Mall's car park, coming out at Marina level and then turning right at the first set of traffic lights. Misses all the traffic.

You then go straight through the next set of traffic lights and the entrance to Bahar's parking is on your right.

Otherwise you have to sit through all the tourist traffic and 4 sets of traffic lights.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 7:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Haha. Bahar is fine. They only call it a ghetto because they're used to much nicer places. Like I said, JBR is miles ahead of most places you'll find in the UK.

Bahar, along with Rimal (next sector over), are the easiest to get into. It's simply a case of going from SZR, cutting through Dubai Marina Mall's car park, coming out at Marina level and then turning right at the first set of traffic lights. Misses all the traffic.

You then go straight through the next set of traffic lights and the entrance to Bahar's parking is on your right.

Otherwise you have to sit through all the tourist traffic and 4 sets of traffic lights.
come on the majority of Britain is better than JBR! I am not saying JBR is bad but be realistic. Dylan you will be fine there
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:52 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
come on the majority of Britain is better than JBR! I am not saying JBR is bad but be realistic. Dylan you will be fine there
JBR is miles better than most "estates" in and around major cities. It may not appeal on a cultural / nature basis but it's clean, safe, has excellent transport links and virtually every urban amenity you could think of (apart from the cultural ones).
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

JBR is great. Ignore the neigh-sayers. The only possible problem you may encounter (which a friend of mine did) is that as it is mostly populated by Russians your kids may not be as welcome into the play groups as you might wish. Whereas somewhere like the Springs is a bit better for the British mum'n'kid scene.

but... it'll be fine. I also have friends who live there with kids and enjoy it.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 25th 2012 at 10:29 am.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
JBR is miles better than most "estates" in and around major cities. It may not appeal on a cultural / nature basis but it's clean, safe, has excellent transport links and virtually every urban amenity you could think of (apart from the cultural ones).
Does it have a recycling or job centre?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:18 am
Hit 16's

A lot of the Russians look recycled