Moving to Dubai!

Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:12 am
mxt
Just Joined

mxt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai!

All,

Great forum, glad to see so many of you take the time to provide valuable info on the site.

A few questions:

Was it easy to ship items into the UAE (from outside GCC)? Thinking of bringing our bedroom sets and possibly our piano. Any customs issues or other difficulties?

Is there a good location to rent in between AD and Dubai? Approx how much for a 2 bedroom? I hear Jebel Ali by Ibn Batuta(sp) mall is convenient.
My wife has a job at the financial center and mine is close to the Abu Dhabi airport.

Lastly, once I have my residence visa, is it easy to buy a slightly used car from a dealer?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai!

define a slightly used car?

JA is fine for AD airport although i beleive discovery gardens are fully occupied??

Your wife would be travelling against the flow of traffic in the mornings..or soon she can take the metro...

shipping is no problem, we have used crown relocations from the uk twice with no issues..
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:24 am
mxt
Just Joined

So how long is the drive from JA to AD airport? And from JA to Financial center against traffic?

Thanks.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

JA-AUH: 1H
JA-FC: 40M

ish............
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

although the traffic flow has got worse coming out of dubai to ad, probably as a lot of people are living in dubai and commuting to ad because of the high cost of rents, so its getting worse on that front.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:59 pm
Banned

celcite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2
although the traffic flow has got worse coming out of dubai to ad, probably as a lot of people are living in dubai and commuting to ad because of the high cost of rents, so its getting worse on that front.
Welcome To MiddleEast!
Still you are going to save heaps living in MiddleEast.There are few pros and cons in everyplace just look at the truck/camel loaded of cash you are going to save in MiddleEast (This cash will compensate each everything).

Last edited by celcite; Sep 16th 2008 at 8:01 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:25 am
mxt
Just Joined

Thanks all. So quite feasible in all to commute from Jebel Ali to AD airport? Is it easy to find rentals in Jebel Ali or other nearby areas?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt do only out of necessity, the roads are becoming just as worse from dxb to ad and its borrriiiinnnngggg.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:16 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celcite
Welcome To MiddleEast!
Still you are going to save heaps living in MiddleEast.There are few pros and cons in everyplace just look at the truck/camel loaded of cash you are going to save in MiddleEast (This cash will compensate each everything).
Are you a scratched record? Thats the 3rd time you have used exactly the same quote on three different threads.

Who are you trying to persuade? Everyone who wants to come over here or yourself??

As has been mentioned on many a previous post, it is getting harder and harder for expats moving over here to save the truck/camel loaded of cash you seem to aspire to. I get the impression that you have been here before but am starting to wonder how long ago it was.

I do find it quite amusing that you are from Oz, as you do appear to be looking for some form of yellow-brick road... Just click your heels 3 times......
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:20 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Are you a scratched record? Thats the 3rd time you have used exactly the same quote on three different threads.

Who are you trying to persuade? Everyone who wants to come over here or yourself??

As has been mentioned on many a previous post, it is getting harder and harder for expats moving over here to save the truck/camel loaded of cash you seem to aspire to. I get the impression that you have been here before but am starting to wonder how long ago it was.

I do find it quite amusing that you are from Oz, as you do appear to be looking for some form of yellow-brick road... Just click your heels 3 times......
don't worry...he won't post again...looks like he's been banned
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:26 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
don't worry...he won't post again...looks like he's been banned
I won't...good...good
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:40 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mxt
Lastly, once I have my residence visa, is it easy to buy a slightly used car from a dealer?
Yes it's easy to buy a slightly used second-hand car from a dealer...but they usually charge more (10 to 25 percent) compared to the prices from private sales for a car of similar age and mileage (kilometrage). The dealers also do a check-over of the cars they sell and also offer, at extra cost, extended warranties. However, the process of getting the car and documentation is much easier with a dealer as they do most the paperwork.