Moving to Dubai

Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:04 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of applying for a job as an Urban planner in Dubai, and was hoping to get some general feedback on what its like to live/work in Dubai. I am currently living and working in Sydney but to be honest whilst I like Sydney I am now ready to move on to pastures new. Working as an Urban Planner over here is not ideal and the wages are fairly low and I want advance my career.

Can any one help?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Hi all,

I am currently thinking of applying for a job as an Urban planner in Dubai, and was hoping to get some general feedback on what its like to live/work in Dubai. I am currently living and working in Sydney but to be honest whilst I like Sydney I am now ready to move on to pastures new. Working as an Urban Planner over here is not ideal and the wages are fairly low and I want advance my career.

Can any one help?
Think the only urban planning here is to steal land of current legitimate owner and give to well-connected local owned developer so they can make a fortune!

The things to watch out for here are housing and schooling costs wwhich are both very expensive. Otherwise the cost of living is quite low.
Traffic can be horrendous. the summer is very hot.
but a good life can be had here (so i'm told)
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Can any one help?
I'd endorse what Inse says........ although I'm not sure there's much left in Dubai that's 'low-cost'........

Like him though I'm more interested by the sort of work you are looking for - 'urban planner'? Are you applying for an actual vacancy you've seen advertised? Who's the employer?

A quick look around Dubai will confirm that nobody has EVER worked under the title 'urban planner' so you will be the first.

Tell us more about the job - or are you just making general approaches?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:00 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Can any one help?
The grass always looks greener...but don't you believe it...I would kill to be in your shoes over in Sidney.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
The grass always looks greener...but don't you believe it...I would kill to be in your shoes over in Sidney.
you are not the only one! not many possibilities over there in my line of work though
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
you are not the only one! not many possibilities over there in my line of work though
You boys would rather be in Sydney than in Dubai??? Go and lie down in a darkened room...... the feeling will soon pass.........
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You boys would rather be in Sydney than in Dubai??? Go and lie down in a darkened room...... the feeling will soon pass.........
I loved Sydney!

You're right there is nothing low cost in Dubai any more.

Extortionate Rents
Extortionate School Fees

Groceries, Petrol - cheap (actually anything would seem cheap compared to rents!)

My maid pays AED 1500 a month to live in a tiny room she shares with her spouse and kid.....
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:12 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
Are you serious? Dubai is a mess in comparison...
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
I loved Sydney!

You're right there is nothing low cost in Dubai any more.

Extortionate Rents
Extortionate School Fees

Groceries, Petrol - cheap (actually anything would seem cheap compared to rents!)

My maid pays AED 1500 a month to live in a tiny room she shares with her spouse and kid.....
rents and school fees (not a problem for me) are expensive, but what else is?

petrol, cars, groceries, eating out etc are all cheap!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
Are you serious? Dubai is a mess in comparison...
agree with you there!
I'm thinking 1-2 years here max before moving on. Possibly Hong Kong, Singapore or maybe Geneva.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Funny you should mention Geneva. Thats another potential location. Sydney is good for a short stay but I soon got bored, there isn't the culture, architecture that Europe has. Doesn't really help either that my line of work is poorly paid in Oz.

My plam was to spend sometime working overseas make some money and then had back to Europe, Oz doesn't have enough to keep me here forever. Not that I am slagging Oz off its a great place, but not really what I am after from life.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

what exactly is an "urban planner"?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Funny you should mention Geneva. Thats another potential location. Sydney is good for a short stay but I soon got bored, there isn't the culture, architecture that Europe has. Doesn't really help either that my line of work is poorly paid in Oz.

My plam was to spend sometime working overseas make some money and then had back to Europe, Oz doesn't have enough to keep me here forever. Not that I am slagging Oz off its a great place, but not really what I am after from life.
I've heard mixed things about Geneva. Supposed to be a little bit dull.
But my French isnt too shabby and there are lots of big commodity trading companies with their shipping departments there.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
what exactly is an "urban planner"?
lol here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planning
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Sustainable development has become some sort of a 'buzz-word' in the planning industry, with the recognition that present ways of consumption and living have led to problems like the overuse of natural resources, ecosystem destruction, pollution, growing inequality in cities, the degradation of human living conditions and human-induced climate change. Planners have, as a result, taken to advocating for the development of sustainable cities

You are going to be kept busy here then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.