Moving to Dubai

Old Dec 13th 2006, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

ambar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai

Hi everyone,

There is a chance that I maybe relocating to Dubai for a job. Would very much appreciate any info about the costs of living, the commute, and relocation expenses.

Any advice from folks who have experienced moving from US or Europe to Dubai would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
K
Old Dec 14th 2006, 10:50 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai

Hi Ambar,

Everything you want to know about has been discussed many, many times here. Do some forum searches and you'll find what you need
Old Dec 14th 2006, 1:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

yup, there's plenty of info in the faq's, and loads of threads on packages and expenses...
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GarethR
Hi Ambar,

Everything you want to know about has been discussed many, many times here. Do some forum searches and you'll find what you need

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply. I did find many useful information in old posts...I will keep searching until I find the answers to my many questions. If I don't get all the answers, you will hear from me again

Thanks again
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
yup, there's plenty of info in the faq's, and loads of threads on packages and expenses...
Thanks for the reply Bob. The FAQ post related to lifestyle and other things was very useful indeed thanks to all of those contributed.

I am still looking for info related to what is allowed to ship/bring to UAE. For example, if allowed, is it worth to ship my car or should I sell it and buy one locally.

Also, is it standard for the company that hires you to pay for the relocation expenses or should that be negotiated?

Thanks again
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:53 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ambar
is it worth to ship my car or should I sell it and buy one locally
That's a good one... guess it depends on how much it'd cost to ship it versus how much you'd want to spend on a new one here.

Actually, strike that... I'd sell it, and put the money towards buying a new one here. Less hassle, and if you buy a brand-new one you'll get the benefit of a free servicing package etc.

Also, is it standard for the company that hires you to pay for the relocation expenses or should that be negotiated?
Usually it's standard, but different companies have different policies about how much they'll pay for.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:15 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Car wise, I'm with Zannie, sell it it's far too complicated for an individual to import one here, also if it's right hand drive it's illegal, and because of the extremes of temperature, you should be buying one with full gulf spec (Better air con and filters etc)

For the transportation costs, I had to pay my own, I can't recall anyone having that paid for too.

Good luck
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:42 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ambar

Thanks again
We had all relocation expenses (container by sea and excess bagage by air) paid for by the company. Try and negotiate it, I know a lot of people that have, afterall they want you to come to Dubai.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Same here - the company reimbursed all our relocation expenses (shipping, insurance etc etc), but that was 10 years back! I think you should definitely ask for a relocation allowance.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zannie
That's a good one... guess it depends on how much it'd cost to ship it versus how much you'd want to spend on a new one here.

Actually, strike that... I'd sell it, and put the money towards buying a new one here. Less hassle, and if you buy a brand-new one you'll get the benefit of a free servicing package etc.

Usually it's standard, but different companies have different policies about how much they'll pay for.

Many thanks Zannie for the advice!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MJC
Car wise, I'm with Zannie, sell it it's far too complicated for an individual to import one here, also if it's right hand drive it's illegal, and because of the extremes of temperature, you should be buying one with full gulf spec (Better air con and filters etc)

For the transportation costs, I had to pay my own, I can't recall anyone having that paid for too.

Good luck

Thanks MJC.

Btw, I like your little birdie, very cute
Old Dec 16th 2006, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
Try and negotiate it, I know a lot of people that have, afterall they want you to come to Dubai.
Yep, I agree, thanks MataHari!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
I think you should definitely ask for a relocation allowance.
If they don't offer, I will definitely ask for it. Thanks for the advice IndieGirl