British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   moving to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-198666/)

JillD Dec 28th 2003 2:19 am

moving to Dubai

Hiya,

I'm going to be moving out to Dubai in mid-January to start work and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live.....

The company that I'll be working for have sorted me out with a furnished, serviced studio in the Deira area for which I'll be paying 2000 dhs a month. From what I can make out from websites this is quite cheap, so it's probably a bad area or maybe not the best apartment block! Can anyone advise on that?

Also a friend that goes over to Dubai for business a lot has said that I would probably want to get a place nearer the Jumeira area, is it expensive to get a studio in that area? I'll be working in Garhound so want somewhere that isn't too far to commute...

Any other tips on living out there and good places to drink would be much appreciated!!!

Jill

philipz Dec 28th 2003 11:14 am

Well if you working in Garhood, than living in Jumeira isnt an option as it is quite far away. Living in Deira is more practical, but when you get here, why not search for a studio closer to your work. But none of this would really matter much if you had a car, as you wouldnt have to use the public transport system, even though it is quite good.

About a good place to drink, well you will have to go to the clubs to do that, and there are enough clubs around.

whmseeker Jan 10th 2004 6:10 pm

Re: moving to Dubai

Originally posted by JillD
Hiya,

I'm going to be moving out to Dubai in mid-January to start work and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live.....

The company that I'll be working for have sorted me out with a furnished, serviced studio in the Deira area for which I'll be paying 2000 dhs a month. From what I can make out from websites this is quite cheap, so it's probably a bad area or maybe not the best apartment block! Can anyone advise on that?

Also a friend that goes over to Dubai for business a lot has said that I would probably want to get a place nearer the Jumeira area, is it expensive to get a studio in that area? I'll be working in Garhound so want somewhere that isn't too far to commute...

Any other tips on living out there and good places to drink would be much appreciated!!!

Jill
HI,

i lived in dubai. to my knowledge deira is bit crowded. again it depends on which part of deira you are living. 2000 per month for a studio flat is definitely expensive eventhough its furnished.

i think you should look at al raashidiya. it is a very quite place and closer to garhoud and airport too. even jumeira, karama, etc. it is advisable to have your own transport. you can actually walk whole of dubai in a day, it is that small:)

all the best.

istara Jan 22nd 2004 7:28 pm

Above all, the key thing in Dubai is avoiding a southwards morning commute, and a northwards evening commute, as the predominant traffic flow is Sharjah->Dubai->Abu Dhabi.

Depending where you are in Deira, it may be very easy to get to Garhoud. The traffic is nightmarish all over Deira for much of the day - if you're the wrong side of Clock Tower roundabout (eg the Gold Souq side, rather than City Centre Mall side) it might be tricker to get to Garhoud. Aed 2,000 is pretty reasonable - do check that it has Central AC and so forth. I hear of many people actually moving to apartments in the Garhoud area, so you might want to check this out.

Jumeirah is predominantly villas, there are very, very few apartments there, and it is a nightmare to get in and out of Jumeirah. Al Diyafa Street, one of the main throughfares from Jumeirah onto Sheikh Zayed Road, is ghastly most of the day. To be honest, unless you are working in somewhere like Media City, or unless you are a housewife, Jumeirah is not a great location for commuting convenience. It is also quite expensive. On the other hand if you are the sort of person who likes to get up at the crack of dawn and swim in the sea, it's an ideal place.

To give you an idea of some apartment prices (these are south of the Creek side) which I was quoted a year or so ago - these refer to brand new buildings, Central AC, Ceramic floor:

Old Pakistani Consulate area:
1BR 25,000 pa

Mankhool/Golden Sands area:
Studio 27,000 pa
1BR 38,000 pa

Jebel Ali Gardens (or "Guantanamo" as we residents call it)
1BR 18,000 pa
2BR 27,000 pa