Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai at 19000 AED per month Good/Bad?

Moving to Dubai at 19000 AED per month Good/Bad?

Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:05 am
Just Joined

layla005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai at 19000 AED per month Good/Bad?

Hi Alll,

Im moving to dubai at a salary offer of 19000 AED per month, as a single person is this more than enough or should i be concerned? also can drive there using a British licence?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai at 19000 AED per month Good/Bad?

Yeah, it's fine. Not amazing but you won't starve either.

Get a flatshare in the Marina or similar for 5k a month, and you'll have plenty to live on. It depends on what your priorities are. If your goal is to save, you can cap your living expenses to 5k a month and save the remaining 9k. If your goal is to party, then 14k a month partying is plenty.

Once you get your residency visa you need to convert the UK licence into a UAE licence. This is easily done with some paperwork and money and passport photos and an eye exam. A few hours in the afternoon and you're set.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:18 am
Just Joined

im not planning on getting a flat share personal and not much of a party animal, i do plan on saveing but i just donno how to break it down in terms of:
- rent
- groceries
- transport
- utilities
- some fun lol
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Rent: 60k for a 1/bed in Dubai Sports City or similar, averaging to 5k a month (but paid in 1-4 cheques for the year), plus, say, 750 a month for utilities, the housing tax and the basic internet package. Total = 5750 AED.

Car: hire a car for 1800 a month (Yaris or Tiida or whatever). 400 a month for petrol (you may drive a lot more). Total = 2200 AED.

Weekly groceries for a single person who cooks most of what she eats: 200 AED - 400 AED. I'm going to err on the side of a simple diet and leftovers, so 200 AED weekly. Total = 800 AED a month. (this is shopping mainly at Carrefour, if you only go to Spinneys, then double it).

Social life, dining out, etc. How long is a piece of string? Ok, let's say 500 a week. Total = 2,000 a month.

Total = 10750 AED.

This is the minimum I'd estimate. You will not spend less. But you will probably spend more. The 5% VAT is causing prices to go up, there's plenty of salik tolls (but who knows how often you'll go through them), there's discretionary spending, the daily Starbucks, and so on. There's brunches with your new friends. All in all I'd be estimating 12,000 a month as more realistic.

Your biggest challenge in moving out to Dubai is the capital outlay required to get set up if you want to rent your own apartment. You'll need to pay 5% deposit, 5% fee to the agent, deposits for utilities and internet, furnish and equip the place, and of course the rent itself, which will rarely be monthly but more like a few months' rent at one go (most people pay their rent in 1-4 cheques).

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Feb 7th 2018 at 9:38 am.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

kostik3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably been answered many times before but here you are, completely average figures based on information available from your side:

- rent - 1 bed - anything between 5-8000 per month.
- groceries - 2000 for western food.
- transport - 1500-2000 car rental
- utilities - I say 1000
- some fun lol - 2000 and up to infinity
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:54 am
Just Joined

thanks alot if I'll be working in al karama area where should i want to look for rent?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by layla005
thanks alot if I'll be working in al karama area where should want to look for rent?
Try to check Culture Village development from DP as they are doing good promotion for 1 bed rental flats. Just go on their web-site. Also, they are great as corporate landlord as you don't need to deal with private landlords who are miss and hit here.

It's also next to metro station.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

It's called Dubai Wharf actually, here to help you with search:

Dubai Properties - Homes to Rent - Dubai Wharf
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

lin c is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, i am french and will leave in Dubai by the next month. I will actually be paid approximatively like you Layla005, so thank you everyone for the share.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lin c
hello, i am french and will leave in Dubai by the next month. I will actually be paid approximatively like you Layla005, so thank you everyone for the share.
I like you accent
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:33 am
Just Joined

lin c is an unknown quantity at this point

😁☺️
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I like you accent
your
Old Feb 8th 2018, 10:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
your
Goddamit
Old Feb 9th 2018, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lin c
Really!! ME tooooo
Old Feb 10th 2018, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Yeah, it's fine. Not amazing but you won't starve either.

Get a flatshare in the Marina or similar for 5k a month, and you'll have plenty to live on. It depends on what your priorities are. If your goal is to save, you can cap your living expenses to 5k a month and save the remaining 9k. If your goal is to party, then 14k a month partying is plenty.

Once you get your residency visa you need to convert the UK licence into a UAE licence. This is easily done with some paperwork and money and passport photos and an eye exam. A few hours in the afternoon and you're set.
Yes, as above. 19,000 is a decent wage but not spectacular. Is your employer paying for your accommodation?

You should be able to save some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.